2006 Toyota Matrix Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2006 Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sort Reviews by

My husband wants a Matrix too.
By M.J.DRAHL

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Searched far and wide for a vehicle that I could manage back and forth comfortably to my professional job. Driving included highway and stop-go city traffic. My husband and I tested several vehicles to learn about interior, outward view all around safety and its road manners. The Matrix far exceeded all competing manufacturers. Toyota - always moving forward.

Favorite Features

Bolstered back and side grips on front seat. Firmness feels sportscar-like. Front headlights in both normal and highbeam mode pierce through the night. Excellent Toyota engineering - when ignition is turned on, all doors lock automatically or open when ignition is shut off. Impeccably assembled.

Suggested Improvements

Only one - could use larger arm rest bolsters on both driver and front passenger sides.

Front seat
By Pat

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Matrix because I love the exterior design of the car. After driving it home, I notice how sore the under part of my leg just above the knee was. I have written to Toyota and the dealer where it was purchased for some help or advise to no avail. I do like the car except for that but I think it is also a little under horse powered.

Favorite Features

The exterior of the car. I find it really fun to look at.

Suggested Improvements

More horse power and something done with the drivers front seat.

Don's Review
By Zoobiezoo

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The car rides so smooth. the seats are very comfortable, and the interior is very roomy. The exterior stlying is really nice, and the color Cosmic Blue is the greatest. The Dealer is very accommodating, and I feel like I'm the only person who has ever bought a car there.

Favorite Features

Exterior Color "Cosmic Blue" Roomy Interior Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

The gaps in the bumpers should be much smaller

a little rocket
By jacob

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

i can beat many expesive cars on acceleration. It's a great fun to drive car. roomy interior, which surprises guests. the only things that bothers me it taking a coin from the coin slot under the handbrake is difficult and the digital readout on the dash of milease is too dim and too small. The outside body looks as if someone hit it when you approach it from certain angles. otherwise it's a bargain.

Favorite Features

comfort and space for people. the dashboard is bright on the most part.

Suggested Improvements

move the second coin slot away from the handbrake.

Great car at a fantastic price
By Dale

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We were amazed at how much space there actually is in the Matrix. We used to camp with a pop-up trailer and our Nissan Quest. Since the Matrix isn't really a vehicle for towing we've downsized to camping with a tent. Well, going from a trailer with the room inside the van for packing was something we were worried about. But the Matrix actually has a LOT of room inside. We managed a couple trips so far and it's been great! We took it on a trip from NY to KY to WV and back to NY and it performed very well in the mountains and on the highways. We definitely feel we have gotten a good buy for a great price on a fantastic car!

Favorite Features

The amount of room inside the vehicle is actually pretty surprising. It handles VERY well, and the mileage has been superb.

Suggested Improvements

Side molding would be a good thing, and perhaps a roof rack system.

Just what I wanted
By Heron

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned the car for 5 months and enjoy driving it everyday. The ride and manueverablity are outstanding. Gas mileage is excellent. I just feel comfortable driving it.

Favorite Features

Storage, fuel economy, design. Nice, solid feel.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows should operate without the engine running or the key turned to the "on" position. Could be a little peppier.

Great little car!
By marie

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have researched all the cars in this class and I decided that I really liked the matrix better, it looked nice and has lots of room, we are a family of four that fit inside comfortably. Quiet ride and great handling and good on gas.

Favorite Features

The cars handling, space, the dashboard red lights, sunroof is nice. The car looks pretty sporty.

Suggested Improvements

The rear passenger's seatbelts don't fit right across the chest for children and there is no seatbelt adjustments like the front ones. The front console and arm rest on the driver door is way to low to rest your arms.

Happy Matrix Owner
By Happy Matrix Driver

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought to replace my wife's 1995 4-Runner 4X4 with many miles on it. Although we knew we were giving up power (from 6 cyl to 4 cyl), the Matrix has performed well for us. During wet roads or windy conditions, the AWD keeps the vehicle on the road. The windshield and windows provide excellent visibility. We have averaged about 24 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway (2500 miles on the car in the 1st month), which is at least 50% better than the 4-Runner gave us. Overall we like the Matrix because it provides us flexibility: we can haul 4 or 5 people with decent leg room, or haul loads where the front passenger seat folds down. For the price, we enjoy driving this car.

Favorite Features

AWD, visibility, flexibility, good gas mileage, secure key.

Suggested Improvements

Anti-ding strips would be helpful. Also would prefer fog lamps as standard equipment.

A Great Little Car
By Gary

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Matrix 5-20-2006, there is now over 3600 miles on it. Before I purchased the Matrix I had a Tundra, great vehicle but I grew tired of putting $60.00 a week in gas. The Matrix took a little getting used to but now it's fun to drive, roomy, economical, turns on a dime and cute. (A real chick term, Sorry guys.) It would help to have adjustable steering wheel and a little more ground clearance but no vehicle is perfect. I am more than satisfied with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Dash, parking, looks & economy.

Suggested Improvements

Break away mirrors, adjustable steering wheel, ground clearance & of course a turbo or supercharger for the ultimate sleeper. Who cares about three dollars a gallon - I do! You'll be satisfied with this happy little run about!

What's wrong with Toyota
By Pam

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I don't understand why Toyota does not advertise the Matrix. It's a wonderful little car and all the other companies are now coming up with their version of this same size. I have never seen a commercial for a Matrix. Not everyone wants a vehicle to decide if "theirs is the biggest" and not everyone wants a sedan. This little car is sporty, handy, economical and I traded in a Camry to get it. I love it. Yes it took me a little while to get used to the lower power but now we work well together.

Favorite Features

The whole car - looks perhaps the most

Suggested Improvements

A little more power to climb mountains... otherwise, it's perfect