2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Money well spent.
By kayeed44 on 10/28/07 06:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Handles well even at my normal cruising speed of 65. My wife and I are both happy about the lack of excessive engine noise, even at 70 mph. Gas mileage averages 30+ in overall driving. A little slippage on snow and ice but I think it's because of the standard "Continental" tires.

Practical and Functional
By Seth on 10/11/07 08:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2001 Celica for this, mainly because I wanted something with more utility while maintaining the fuel economy I had become accustomed to. Engine is weak in low revs, better as they build, and the transmission upshifts way too soon when merging or passing. The interior makes this car worth owning, for sheer cargo space, you'd be hard pressed to find something this light and economical with this much space. Handles well. I'd gladly buy the upcoming replacement, as long as it gets more grunt, a better transmission, and disc brakes in the rear. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone, knowing that my only hang-ups are its lack of sportiness.

Great utility vehicle
By pete on 08/27/07 07:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We are happy with the car but did have an electronic component plug come loose after one week that cut the power to most of the car. After repair there has been no reoccurrence.

22k Miles and Still Loving my Matrix
By mst3kzz on 08/12/07 09:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Was deciding between the Vibe, Mazda3, Mazda6, Passat, and Matrix. Decided on the Vibe/Passat based on price, gas mileage and test drives, then chose the Matrix because I started to prefer its style over the Vibe. Love the Matrix, kicks the crap out of my old '99 Chevy Metro which got a little better MPG, had no acceleration, but was a great college car (cheap and reliable). Love the storage space. I have been keeping a complete record of the gas mileage since I got the car and it gets an average of 28 MPG (the way I drive), but is capable of getting up to 33 MPG (if you drive really efficiently).

Get One Before They're Gone
By Paradoxfalls on 06/18/07 01:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love the 2006 Toyota Matrix. It's a well-built, peppy, fuel economic car that's fun to drive. The only problem we have with it is that the small rear windows (hatch and behind the doors) create bigger blind spots, but once you get to know the car, it's not so bad. My husband and I bought this car after our 2005 Matrix was totaled. A speeding drunk driver jumped a sloped median, landing his Jeep Cherokee V8 on the hood of our Matrix, then flipped over and crushed part of our roof. My husband and I were injured, but WE WALKED AWAY, vowing to buy another Matrix since that one saved our lives. I heard that the Matrix may be replaced in Toyota's line-up, so get one while you can!

Matrix Review
By payultr on 06/10/07 08:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Comfortable to drive and well laid out on the interior. Very spacious when the back seat is folded down. MPG is excellent, I average 40 mpg on long trips!!

2006 Matrix 5 speed
By sprice on 05/04/07 12:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Unbelievable fuel economy and interior space. Fun to drive, handles well. Not much acceleration at turnpike speeds (which is one reason why it's so stingy with gas), but pretty peppy below 60 mph.

Poor Man's MINI Cooper
By JAMINOFF on 05/04/07 08:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Matrix is like my son'e MINI cooper for $10000 less. Great car, quality, reliability, fun and roomy. Only changes I recommend would be remove coin slot under handbrake, very hard to get to. Left side instruments have no lighting at night.

SUV/CUV traits in a fun compact!
By Marvin on 05/02/07 08:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Only complaints are nit-picks. Car rides smooth and quiet, MPG is good for AWD, but fuel tank small (~300 mi range), seats are supremely comfy, lots of int storage, adjustable driver seat height, flexible cargo area, and great build quality. When compared to a sedan of this class, it feels more spacious, looks cooler, is more practical, and has AWD. Looks sportier than it is. Steering and suspension are great, but not sporty. Engine power is just OK (more power, lower MPG, so I'm OK w/ this). It has the industry's worst tonneau cover - borderline useless. 6-CD in-dash player won't play MP3 CDs and doesn't have aux-in.

Great car for the money
By Jockeyfox on 04/07/07 14:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a large truck for the Matrix. I travel 100 miles a day and wanted a fuel efficient vehicle. This car filled the bill. If I set my cruise on 65, it can get 35-36 mpg, average 33. I thought I would miss the truck's cargo capacity, but so far, it has been fantastic. I can't believe how much I can get in it. The only problem I have had is with the paint. The car is white and there are about 8 chips on the front and hood already with only 20,000 miles. Other than the paint, I really love this car, especially when gas is $3.00 a gallon.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.