Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

No rear a/c and poor driveability
By smezbryant

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

No fun to drive! Plenty peppy for 4 cyl, but handling isn't fun. I got the base model which was a mistake--it didn't have basic safety like ABS or side curtain airbags. It's super cute on the outside, has good room in the backseat. Front cup holders are too skinny for most drinks.

I like that it's the wagon version of the Corolla. Cute. Better made than the Honda Fit. Cargo bigger than Fit and Versa. Like the hatchback. Back seat is very roomy. Has been completely reliable.

Needs rear A/C. Kids are boiling in back seat. Doesn't even have vents under the front seats. Not fun to drive. Only get 25 mpg freeway (driving fast and up and down 2500 ft per day).

Good Workhorse
By Jordan

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car for one month. Love it. I'm a mobile computer service tech, it's great for my job. I've put 4k miles. Previous owner drove it 28k mi/yr (now has 84k mi on it). Drives/ looks new. Stores and accesses tools/equip. easily. I like the independent window and door hatches in back. Very roomy. Slept in back area seats folded down. 110volt power is handy for laptop. I just happen to have front ABS brakes with upgraded Toyota TRD pads and rotors (slotted and drilled). EXCELLENT STOPPING POWER!!! I live in CA and it's saved me multiple times. My '97 accord did not stop like this. Also, if you want, this car can tow a 1,500lb. trailer, but haven't tried it. Might be kinda slow.

Economy, electric outlet, space, comfort, BRAKES!! (but get the optional toyota TRD upgrade with ABS).

When cruising, tranny downshifts from 4th to 3rd at the slightest aceleration (Rather annyoing, feel silly with overdrive off at 65 mph). Also, the system forces auto headlights when dark out. Cannot turn off headlights with engine running. 110volt outlets only 100w. Engine vibrates rearview mirror.

Must have picked the lemon
By chosepoorly

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car new and am a very careful owner. My last car, a Chevy housed outside in the elements, was 12 years old when I traded it in with very little problems. After 2 years, the fuel pump went. After 2 1/2 years, electrical system and sensors failed. Just after the warranty expired, multiple systems failed, requiring a new battery and $400 worth of repairs. I have to drive long distances for my new job and have to trade it because I don't know when or where it will fail next. Disappointing, considering Toyota's supposed quality.

Great gas mileage. Fairly comfortable.

Better quality assurance. The vehicle is rated well by others, but bad ones get out there.

Great Cool Car
By Go Big Blue

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car based on styling, comfort, economy, and reputation. I'm not disappointed in any area. Regularly gets mid-thirties on the highway at 70-75 mph, and mid twenties in town with a lot of traffic lights. That is with me in the throttle pretty hard, because this is no sports car. Very comfortable ride for a small car. Love the sunroof. Has 44,000 miles and all I've done is changed the oil and put on a pair of tires because I cut a sidewall. Goodyear triple-treads have cut down on front wheel spin on wet roads.

The SPACE. It's actually easier to haul lumber in than my explorer sport-trac. Moved my daughter to school 1000 miles away in it really loaded down and still got over 30 mpg. The flat deck in the back with the seats down is really handy Back seats are great for adults. Everyone likes the high seats.

Anti-lock breaks should be standard. I was shocked the first time the wheels locked up and they do it easily cause the car is so light. Back tires wear more on the inside, but I still have the original rubber on the back at 44,000 miles. Should have in-dash satellite radio option. Cheap cargo cover.

GR8 little Matrix
By QuickDeuce

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

BUY IT ! We have owned ours since new. 38k now, avg 28 to 30mpg depends on city/hwy. Maint costs? Oil and regular sched. maint. is the only $$ we've spent. The Matrix is well built, dependable as a Toyota is supposed to be. Drives like a little sports car. Absolutely loves snow and adverse roads. Ease of getting into and out of the Matrix are among the #1 reasons we chose ours. Handy instrument arrangements and excellent visibility for lane changes. There are a number who say the little Matrix is terribly underpowered, well - we think not. How often do we need to exceed 75 mph ? Do we need to accelerate to fwy speeds quickly? Yup - and the Matrix gets that done with ease.

Ease of entry and exit for us humans. Hatchback is excellent for groceries. Fuel economy is VERY good. Quick, sports car feel and handling with zippy throttle response. Nice looking ground effects really help the sports car look. All wheel drive is BEST money spent for us.

If possible, just a little more travel with the adjustable steering wheel.

• SUV