2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
No rear a/c and poor driveability
By smezbryant on 05/21/09 23:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

No fun to drive! Plenty peppy for 4 cyl, but handling isn't fun. I got the base model which was a mistake--it didn't have basic safety like ABS or side curtain airbags. It's super cute on the outside, has good room in the backseat. Front cup holders are too skinny for most drinks.

Good Workhorse
By Jordan on 05/19/09 14:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car for one month. Love it. I'm a mobile computer service tech, it's great for my job. I've put 4k miles. Previous owner drove it 28k mi/yr (now has 84k mi on it). Drives/ looks new. Stores and accesses tools/equip. easily. I like the independent window and door hatches in back. Very roomy. Slept in back area seats folded down. 110volt power is handy for laptop. I just happen to have front ABS brakes with upgraded Toyota TRD pads and rotors (slotted and drilled). EXCELLENT STOPPING POWER!!! I live in CA and it's saved me multiple times. My '97 accord did not stop like this. Also, if you want, this car can tow a 1,500lb. trailer, but haven't tried it. Might be kinda slow.

Must have picked the lemon
By chosepoorly on 04/18/09 07:03 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car new and am a very careful owner. My last car, a Chevy housed outside in the elements, was 12 years old when I traded it in with very little problems. After 2 years, the fuel pump went. After 2 1/2 years, electrical system and sensors failed. Just after the warranty expired, multiple systems failed, requiring a new battery and $400 worth of repairs. I have to drive long distances for my new job and have to trade it because I don't know when or where it will fail next. Disappointing, considering Toyota's supposed quality.

Great Cool Car
By Go Big Blue on 01/03/09 19:22 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car based on styling, comfort, economy, and reputation. I'm not disappointed in any area. Regularly gets mid-thirties on the highway at 70-75 mph, and mid twenties in town with a lot of traffic lights. That is with me in the throttle pretty hard, because this is no sports car. Very comfortable ride for a small car. Love the sunroof. Has 44,000 miles and all I've done is changed the oil and put on a pair of tires because I cut a sidewall. Goodyear triple-treads have cut down on front wheel spin on wet roads.

GR8 little Matrix
By QuickDeuce on 12/26/08 15:23 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

BUY IT ! We have owned ours since new. 38k now, avg 28 to 30mpg depends on city/hwy. Maint costs? Oil and regular sched. maint. is the only $$ we've spent. The Matrix is well built, dependable as a Toyota is supposed to be. Drives like a little sports car. Absolutely loves snow and adverse roads. Ease of getting into and out of the Matrix are among the #1 reasons we chose ours. Handy instrument arrangements and excellent visibility for lane changes. There are a number who say the little Matrix is terribly underpowered, well - we think not. How often do we need to exceed 75 mph ? Do we need to accelerate to fwy speeds quickly? Yup - and the Matrix gets that done with ease.

Matrix is a true quality Toyota
By Dave Swaney on 12/18/08 00:08 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 45K on my Matrix, and I have done nothing but change the oil and repair curb collision damage. Nothing rattles, nothing wheezes. I'm going to have to take it in at 50K just out of discipline. What a car.

Expensive Regret
By Expensive Regret on 11/06/08 10:54 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle based on Toyota's reputation. Within 2 years of use I have spent around $3500 to fix repeat serpentine belts, 02 sensor, rotors, brakes (at 40,000 miles), 1 battery and whatever the other belts are for on this vehicle. This vehicle was purchased new and by an experienced, nonabusive driver. It now has 47000 miles mostly highway and I do not trust that I will not be stranded by this vehicle. I am waiting for the clutch / transmission to fail after reviewing other complaints filed by resentful consumers. I should have kept my jeep regardless of the high fuel cost.

Excellent Value, ride and quality
By Garry on 10/03/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded a Tundra for the Matrix. I thought I would miss the truck. Not at all. This car is amazingly roomy and comfortable. Great fuel economy and pep for a 4 cyl. I have owned Toyotas for over 30 years and will not buy anything else. While you might pay a "little" more than other vehicles, in the long run, you will come out way ahead.

I Love My Matrix
By Heather on 08/01/08 09:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Matrix Certified Used from my local Toyota dealer almost a year ago and I am loving my Matrix! The cargo room is awesome (we like to fold down the back seats and sleep in there on camping trips) I have been so thankful to have the cargo room because I have needed it many times! The gas mileage is AMAZING! It has plenty of pep but as other reviewers mention a little more power would be nice at times. I think the new 2009 model is cool looking but after taking a look at the dealer I think I like my 2006 better, the new one seems like they got cheap with the materials a bit. The nice shiny gauge and stereo display are now a faux silver plastic, and overall it does not seem as solid

In the Matrix
By 86Ciara on 07/01/08 08:32 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. For a 4 cylinder this car is smashing!! For some reason this car just likes to go fast. Got a speeding ticket doing 97 mph :0 & no the paint did not peel off while I was re-entering the atmosphere. Steep upgrades not a problem just flip the OverDrive button and you're climbing!! I keep up with regular oil changes & maintenance to keep my baby running smooth.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.