Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Matrix Driver
By flmthgrl

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great little car, handles well in snow. fun to drive, but can be a bit of a noisy ride. Wish AWD version got better mileage. Even though this car is small, it is very adaptable with fold-down seats, hatchback etc.

cup holders, fold down rear seats, outlets. very roomy for a small car.

strengthen windshield, cut down on noise, automatic seats, retractable antenna, improve rear visibility

Good Mule on Wheels
By RichT

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed driving and owning this Matrix as my driving needs are constantly evolving. It handles the highway and the city with a flexible response, plus it averages nothing less than 30mpg in mixed driving conditions. It has good room for 4 large adults and with the seats folded down, it can haul 30 cases of beer. Having driven it in the snow and bad weather, it never fails or complains.

The car is rock solid at 80mph at 3k rpm and I like the headroom too. I also like the good gas mileage and the spacious feel it has.

More comfortable driving seats, like those in BMW or Saab. Also, 20 to 30 more horses under the hood would help too.

A Really Good Car!
By Laurie

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a manual XR & it easily gets 34 mpg city & 41 + on hwy. With the back seats down, it sure can haul a lot of stuff. I think this car is under-rated. I've not had a lick of major trouble, just usual mtce & oil changes, etc.

Fun, Comfortable & no problems in 4years
By Zach

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 4 years and haven't had a single problem with it! I bought it brand new when got tired of investing too much money into a 93 Ford Explorer that was going downhill. Toyota's MPG ratings are right on. I never get less than 25mpg around town and on the freeway I get 32mpg. This car is great for traveling and road trips. The cargo space is wonderful too. I play music and needed to fit my 2 bass cabs, amp and guitars into the car and they fit just fine. My buddy bought a Matrix cause he needed a new car and liked the roomy-ness (he is 6'4", 250lbs+). He fits his whole drum set and monster keyboard in his!

Love the amount of space inside the cabin. When the back seats are folded down you can fit nearly anything back there. Also, the driver seat adjustable height feature is amazing. It handles uphill driving just fine for only having about 135hp. Never even gets close to overheating.

I don't think you could improve this '06 model much more design-wise. I can't believe they made these cars smaller in the '08 models. I personally think that is a backwards move for Toyota. 03-07's all the way for me!

Excellent Car
By Excellent Car

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is an exceptional vehicle from the outside styling to the inside floor plan. Easy to carry 4 big adults including height. We take our car on the road and what a wonderful way to travel, easy to carry your luggage with the seats down and a clothes rod in the back. Recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for simple, quality and a good investment.

Fold down seats; roomy interior; ride; color; quiet ride; we added leather seats and what a huge difference it made in the comfort of the seating, beautiful car.

The coin holders are not tight enough so the quarters rattle; the cup holder is very poorly placed; takes a while to heat up in the winter.

• SUV