2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Great Car!
By dkadwell on 05/06/11 08:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car in 2007 with 6000 miles already on it. We were replacing our Hyundai Elantra which gave us nothing but problems. We love this car. It folds down flat very easily and we have hauled everything in it from trees to our daughter's complete nursery. We love it. It have never once given us an issue. It is a little tight with car seats, but still works for us at this point in our lives. It gets about 32/33 mpg city and closer to 36/37 highway. It has been great in these rising gas prices. We have about 104k miles on it and it is still running strong! Highly recommend this car if you want a little more than Sedan but don't don't need more than 5 seats!

2006 Matrix XR Manual-Front Wheel Drive
By acf on 07/21/10 21:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new to replace a 1992 Tercel and accommodating a rear facing car seat. Bought the 5-speed because the automatic seemed sluggish. Back area is great for a dog. The performance of the front wheel drive (even with snow tires) is not stellar. I now live at the top of a hill in upstate NY and wish I bought the AWD. Great commuter car which gets > 30mpg on the highway. Comfortable enough for long trips. I would buy another (albeit in AWD).

A Really Good Car!
By Laurie on 11/03/09 12:24 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a manual XR & it easily gets 34 mpg city & 41 + on hwy. With the back seats down, it sure can haul a lot of stuff. I think this car is under-rated. I've not had a lick of major trouble, just usual mtce & oil changes, etc.

Great Cool Car
By Go Big Blue on 01/03/09 19:22 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car based on styling, comfort, economy, and reputation. I'm not disappointed in any area. Regularly gets mid-thirties on the highway at 70-75 mph, and mid twenties in town with a lot of traffic lights. That is with me in the throttle pretty hard, because this is no sports car. Very comfortable ride for a small car. Love the sunroof. Has 44,000 miles and all I've done is changed the oil and put on a pair of tires because I cut a sidewall. Goodyear triple-treads have cut down on front wheel spin on wet roads.

Matrix is a true quality Toyota
By Dave Swaney on 12/18/08 00:08 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 45K on my Matrix, and I have done nothing but change the oil and repair curb collision damage. Nothing rattles, nothing wheezes. I'm going to have to take it in at 50K just out of discipline. What a car.

Great Car No Matter What Your Size!
By 1217trees on 02/07/08 00:38 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Matrix for 2 years now. I love it. I am 5'2" and fit very comfortably and my son who is 6'6" has plenty of leg room and head clearance! This vehicle is so reliable and fun to drive. Love this car!

Matrix Review
By payultr on 06/10/07 08:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Comfortable to drive and well laid out on the interior. Very spacious when the back seat is folded down. MPG is excellent, I average 40 mpg on long trips!!

2006 Matrix 5 speed
By sprice on 05/04/07 12:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Unbelievable fuel economy and interior space. Fun to drive, handles well. Not much acceleration at turnpike speeds (which is one reason why it's so stingy with gas), but pretty peppy below 60 mph.

Very happy with purchase
By terry on 02/27/07 02:52 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have had the matrix now for over about 1.5 years and she has performed beautifully. 17k miles and not one trip back to the dealership. Gas mileage is 35 combined. the manual is fun to drive and has good acceleration. I bought this for my wife, but I admit that I enjoy driving it every now and then when I want to give my truck a rest.

All around great car
By Pasta on 02/18/07 19:19 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

As the title states... Bought the car for its mileage, dependability, and versatility. I'm a handy-man so hauling wood and other building materials is a fairly common occurrence for me. I also MTB ride often and being able to throw the bike and gear in the back or several on a rack for long trips with friends is also common. This car handles ALL of that with grace. The manual transmission is good. Shifting is positive, short throws. Acceleration is more than adequate. It's not a sports car (for 15 years, my previous car). You're in the wrong price range and class if you are expecting that type of handling and performance. Even still, the Matrix performs very well.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.