Used 2006 Toyota Matrix XR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Great Car!
By dkadwell

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car in 2007 with 6000 miles already on it. We were replacing our Hyundai Elantra which gave us nothing but problems. We love this car. It folds down flat very easily and we have hauled everything in it from trees to our daughter's complete nursery. We love it. It have never once given us an issue. It is a little tight with car seats, but still works for us at this point in our lives. It gets about 32/33 mpg city and closer to 36/37 highway. It has been great in these rising gas prices. We have about 104k miles on it and it is still running strong! Highly recommend this car if you want a little more than Sedan but don't don't need more than 5 seats!

Gas mileage Folds flat Haul just about anything Plenty of head room!

2006 Matrix XR Manual-Front Wheel Drive
By acf

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new to replace a 1992 Tercel and accommodating a rear facing car seat. Bought the 5-speed because the automatic seemed sluggish. Back area is great for a dog. The performance of the front wheel drive (even with snow tires) is not stellar. I now live at the top of a hill in upstate NY and wish I bought the AWD. Great commuter car which gets > 30mpg on the highway. Comfortable enough for long trips. I would buy another (albeit in AWD).

Excellent Gas Mileage, Lots of room, Fun to drive. This car does exactly what it is supposed to do; it gets you and a bunch of stuff from point A to point B in a value-minded and reliable fashion.

Seat fabric is low quality. Rattle in passenger seat (interior is overall low quality). Lots of wasted space in the gauges.

A Really Good Car!
By Laurie

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a manual XR & it easily gets 34 mpg city & 41 + on hwy. With the back seats down, it sure can haul a lot of stuff. I think this car is under-rated. I've not had a lick of major trouble, just usual mtce & oil changes, etc.

Great Cool Car
By Go Big Blue

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car based on styling, comfort, economy, and reputation. I'm not disappointed in any area. Regularly gets mid-thirties on the highway at 70-75 mph, and mid twenties in town with a lot of traffic lights. That is with me in the throttle pretty hard, because this is no sports car. Very comfortable ride for a small car. Love the sunroof. Has 44,000 miles and all I've done is changed the oil and put on a pair of tires because I cut a sidewall. Goodyear triple-treads have cut down on front wheel spin on wet roads.

The SPACE. It's actually easier to haul lumber in than my explorer sport-trac. Moved my daughter to school 1000 miles away in it really loaded down and still got over 30 mpg. The flat deck in the back with the seats down is really handy Back seats are great for adults. Everyone likes the high seats.

Anti-lock breaks should be standard. I was shocked the first time the wheels locked up and they do it easily cause the car is so light. Back tires wear more on the inside, but I still have the original rubber on the back at 44,000 miles. Should have in-dash satellite radio option. Cheap cargo cover.

Matrix is a true quality Toyota
By Dave Swaney

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 45K on my Matrix, and I have done nothing but change the oil and repair curb collision damage. Nothing rattles, nothing wheezes. I'm going to have to take it in at 50K just out of discipline. What a car.

Take the freaking steering wheel arm out of the bottom. Let me put my hand at the bottom. Why do I have to take off the back seat headrests to put the seats down?