2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Super reliable, sad to trade in for AWD car
By cadyn on 07/17/13 14:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought by 2006 Matrix XR new and have loved every day of owning it. I've never had any mechanical problems, just kept up with regular oil changes (full synthetic) religiously and regular maintenance. Had a main computer issue in 2008/9, but was covered under warranty and was replaced. Fairly inexpensive upkeep. Excellent cargo space, much bigger inside than it seems! I've been able to fit bicycles, chairs, tables... (not all at once of course). Great for road trips, averages almost 30 mpg highway. Could have better lumbar support. Not great pickup when accelerating uphill, but no complaints. I love this car and am so sad to have to trade it in for an AWD vehicle for my mountainous terrain!

Great Car!
By dkadwell on 05/06/11 08:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car in 2007 with 6000 miles already on it. We were replacing our Hyundai Elantra which gave us nothing but problems. We love this car. It folds down flat very easily and we have hauled everything in it from trees to our daughter's complete nursery. We love it. It have never once given us an issue. It is a little tight with car seats, but still works for us at this point in our lives. It gets about 32/33 mpg city and closer to 36/37 highway. It has been great in these rising gas prices. We have about 104k miles on it and it is still running strong! Highly recommend this car if you want a little more than Sedan but don't don't need more than 5 seats!

2006 Matrix XR Manual-Front Wheel Drive
By acf on 07/21/10 21:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new to replace a 1992 Tercel and accommodating a rear facing car seat. Bought the 5-speed because the automatic seemed sluggish. Back area is great for a dog. The performance of the front wheel drive (even with snow tires) is not stellar. I now live at the top of a hill in upstate NY and wish I bought the AWD. Great commuter car which gets > 30mpg on the highway. Comfortable enough for long trips. I would buy another (albeit in AWD).

Good All Around Car
By Landric on 04/25/10 12:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 06. I traded my 02 Mazda Protege ES in on it when the Mazda had 115000 miles (trouble free). I got the automatic because I was living in a high traffic volume area where its less fun to drive a manual. I got the base model with power windows and locks, keyless entry, cruise, etc. Its a great looking car with lots of interior space and a mostly well thought out interior. Ride is smooth, nice driving position, clear gauges, etc. I'm at 90k now & I need to trade it on a minivan because I can't fit a rear facing child seat behind me & still have enough space to drive (twins!). The throttle body went at 70K (covered by extended warranty) and the CD died at 80k.

i hate hub caps
By dangading on 02/03/10 19:57 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Matrix going on 4 years now and although it's been really great, I have recently run into a couple of problems. For 1, it hasn't had hub caps for years! They fall off too easily. After reading this, I'm sure you'll see plenty of non xr models with no hubs. Also, the accelerators are cableless and if something goes wrong with it, you have to replace the whole system ($1000 for the part). Why not use cables? At least you can afford to fix it when it fails! Seems like planned obselescence to me.

Matrix Driver
By flmthgrl on 01/10/10 06:36 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great little car, handles well in snow. fun to drive, but can be a bit of a noisy ride. Wish AWD version got better mileage. Even though this car is small, it is very adaptable with fold-down seats, hatchback etc.

Good Mule on Wheels
By RichT on 11/29/09 08:53 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed driving and owning this Matrix as my driving needs are constantly evolving. It handles the highway and the city with a flexible response, plus it averages nothing less than 30mpg in mixed driving conditions. It has good room for 4 large adults and with the seats folded down, it can haul 30 cases of beer. Having driven it in the snow and bad weather, it never fails or complains.

A Really Good Car!
By Laurie on 11/03/09 12:24 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a manual XR & it easily gets 34 mpg city & 41 + on hwy. With the back seats down, it sure can haul a lot of stuff. I think this car is under-rated. I've not had a lick of major trouble, just usual mtce & oil changes, etc.

Fun, Comfortable & no problems in 4years
By Zach on 10/22/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 4 years and haven't had a single problem with it! I bought it brand new when got tired of investing too much money into a 93 Ford Explorer that was going downhill. Toyota's MPG ratings are right on. I never get less than 25mpg around town and on the freeway I get 32mpg. This car is great for traveling and road trips. The cargo space is wonderful too. I play music and needed to fit my 2 bass cabs, amp and guitars into the car and they fit just fine. My buddy bought a Matrix cause he needed a new car and liked the roomy-ness (he is 6'4", 250lbs+). He fits his whole drum set and monster keyboard in his!

Excellent Car
By Excellent Car on 09/07/09 10:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is an exceptional vehicle from the outside styling to the inside floor plan. Easy to carry 4 big adults including height. We take our car on the road and what a wonderful way to travel, easy to carry your luggage with the seats down and a clothes rod in the back. Recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for simple, quality and a good investment.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.