Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Super reliable, sad to trade in for AWD car
By cadyn

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought by 2006 Matrix XR new and have loved every day of owning it. I've never had any mechanical problems, just kept up with regular oil changes (full synthetic) religiously and regular maintenance. Had a main computer issue in 2008/9, but was covered under warranty and was replaced. Fairly inexpensive upkeep. Excellent cargo space, much bigger inside than it seems! I've been able to fit bicycles, chairs, tables... (not all at once of course). Great for road trips, averages almost 30 mpg highway. Could have better lumbar support. Not great pickup when accelerating uphill, but no complaints. I love this car and am so sad to have to trade it in for an AWD vehicle for my mountainous terrain!

Gas mileage, cargo space, great for commuting, standard sound system is above average, interior design, reliability, inexpensive upkeep

Could have better lumbar support & better pickup when going uphill. Other than that, nothing!

Great Car!
By dkadwell

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car in 2007 with 6000 miles already on it. We were replacing our Hyundai Elantra which gave us nothing but problems. We love this car. It folds down flat very easily and we have hauled everything in it from trees to our daughter's complete nursery. We love it. It have never once given us an issue. It is a little tight with car seats, but still works for us at this point in our lives. It gets about 32/33 mpg city and closer to 36/37 highway. It has been great in these rising gas prices. We have about 104k miles on it and it is still running strong! Highly recommend this car if you want a little more than Sedan but don't don't need more than 5 seats!

Gas mileage Folds flat Haul just about anything Plenty of head room!

2006 Matrix XR Manual-Front Wheel Drive
By acf

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new to replace a 1992 Tercel and accommodating a rear facing car seat. Bought the 5-speed because the automatic seemed sluggish. Back area is great for a dog. The performance of the front wheel drive (even with snow tires) is not stellar. I now live at the top of a hill in upstate NY and wish I bought the AWD. Great commuter car which gets > 30mpg on the highway. Comfortable enough for long trips. I would buy another (albeit in AWD).

Excellent Gas Mileage, Lots of room, Fun to drive. This car does exactly what it is supposed to do; it gets you and a bunch of stuff from point A to point B in a value-minded and reliable fashion.

Seat fabric is low quality. Rattle in passenger seat (interior is overall low quality). Lots of wasted space in the gauges.

Good All Around Car
By Landric

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 06. I traded my 02 Mazda Protege ES in on it when the Mazda had 115000 miles (trouble free). I got the automatic because I was living in a high traffic volume area where its less fun to drive a manual. I got the base model with power windows and locks, keyless entry, cruise, etc. Its a great looking car with lots of interior space and a mostly well thought out interior. Ride is smooth, nice driving position, clear gauges, etc. I'm at 90k now & I need to trade it on a minivan because I can't fit a rear facing child seat behind me & still have enough space to drive (twins!). The throttle body went at 70K (covered by extended warranty) and the CD died at 80k.

Styling, driving position, and lots of cargo space. I can fit my dresser in the back with the rear seats folded. The car has a smooth ride, and has been pretty reliable. Overall a good buy and very functional, if not exceptional, car.

Gas mileage was OK, but not fantastic. Average about 30 on the highway (sometimes a little better) and low 20's in town. I expected better from a 1.8 liter 4 cyl. Lack of safety features on the base model (ABS, side airbags). Not nearly as fun to drive as styling suggests, and the hubcaps go MIA.

i hate hub caps
By dangading

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Matrix going on 4 years now and although it's been really great, I have recently run into a couple of problems. For 1, it hasn't had hub caps for years! They fall off too easily. After reading this, I'm sure you'll see plenty of non xr models with no hubs. Also, the accelerators are cableless and if something goes wrong with it, you have to replace the whole system ($1000 for the part). Why not use cables? At least you can afford to fix it when it fails! Seems like planned obselescence to me.

good gas mileage and I can fit my drumset with ease.

hub caps that stay on and accelerator system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix.