2006 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
i hate hub caps
By dangading on 02/03/10 19:57 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Matrix going on 4 years now and although it's been really great, I have recently run into a couple of problems. For 1, it hasn't had hub caps for years! They fall off too easily. After reading this, I'm sure you'll see plenty of non xr models with no hubs. Also, the accelerators are cableless and if something goes wrong with it, you have to replace the whole system ($1000 for the part). Why not use cables? At least you can afford to fix it when it fails! Seems like planned obselescence to me.

In the Matrix
By 86Ciara on 07/01/08 08:32 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. For a 4 cylinder this car is smashing!! For some reason this car just likes to go fast. Got a speeding ticket doing 97 mph :0 & no the paint did not peel off while I was re-entering the atmosphere. Steep upgrades not a problem just flip the OverDrive button and you're climbing!! I keep up with regular oil changes & maintenance to keep my baby running smooth.

2006 Matrix 5spd
By shartman on 01/28/07 06:20 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I truly expected more out of this 18,000 dollar vehicle. It is very roomy, good on gas and is a pretty color. That is about all I can say. I have had no major problems with it. The stereo sounds terrible. And the hydraulics that open the hatch don't work well. I have to push it up. I really expected more out of this Toyota. I also have to mention it runs like a car that is 6 or 8 years old. It idles very hard and rough for only having like 11,000 miles on it. Not what I expected!

Seems to have been an excellent decision
By TEEJAY on 12/25/06 20:49 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Well with almost 16k on it now we haven't had one single problem! At first I thought my wife was crazy for wanting a 5 speed, but then I drove the Matrix. I love the intial acceleration that the manual offers. I leave all of those big gas hog SUVs sitting at the stop light and pass them again sitting at the gas pumps! We are averaging high 30s overall. On a long trip you can get over 40 mpg if you set the cruise at 70 mph. I plan on driving this thing well over 200k so I use synthetic motor oil and change every 5k when the maint. light comes on. I also installed a k&n filter which gives me a little more HP! Go Toyota!

Dead spot
By Clutch problems on 07/07/06 18:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I really like most things about this car. It fits my need for comfort, space, versatility, and mileage. However, the clutch to acceleration from first gear bogs down unless I really rev the RPMs. I have been put in some dangerous positions due to this.

A roomy car with a good ride
By Charlie on 04/16/06 17:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is very roomy, has a good ride, good pickup, but the engine groans when shifting into higher gears.

Just Got It
By cybler on 03/29/06 14:00 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Matrix 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just picked up the Matrix, so far, great car. Very smooth and quite on the highway and around town. Also picked up a 4Runner, so this one will be the gas saver. Save money and go for the lease, this is my first lease, but I think it will be good.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.