2005 Toyota Matrix 1.8L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - The Matrix shines in winter

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Review

XR Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

The Matrix shines in winter time!
By Kim on

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had it for a year and a half and it has been great, especially in the winter time. In the snow, I rarely spin my tires on a steep driveway or at a stop sign on an incline. The car has great control overall. I've never felt safer in a car before. My passengers feel safe too. I recently heard this car gets the highest marks for side-impact collision. I'd believe it! You just feel taken care of inside. The only downer is that I have to replace a rear hub bearing now not even at 100,000. That was unexpected and will be pricey. Rumors of a previous recall for this model are out there, but who knows. And no warranty will cover it now. You may want to research that issue.

Favorite Features

The AWD!! I also like the softer seats in the XR, 6-disc changer & great speakers, handy lights on the rear-view mirror, different cubbies in the front and rear, post-factory remote starter, dark blue exterior, headlamps, & the way the doors feel when I shut them. They just feel like quality.

Suggested Improvements

Remote starter, more get-up-and-go, a sun or moon roof