Sporty car for year-round fun
By dennyvibes on
2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
I have had my Matrix for 6 years in March 2011. I bought it specifically for the all-wheel drive needed for New England winters. The Matrix never gets stuck in the snow, though the standard tires are slippery and you have to drive slowly to keep from skidding in turns, and make sure not to stop too suddenly. It's possible getting standard all-season tires instead of the sportier ones will remedy that. I LOVE driving my Matrix on beaches, sand dunes, and any off-roading I can get. It's so much fun! It holds its own with any 4X4 truck for any typical rugged fun. I just got into an accident in snow on an unplowed road, at a sharp curve, doing down a steep hill. My Matrix kept me safe and sound!
Favorite Features
All-wheel drive, adjustable seat height, fog lights, rear wiper. Car adjusts very comfortably to accommodate me at 5'0" tall and my husband at 6'1" tall.
Suggested Improvements
There is no setting for using the vent on the windshield with CLOSED exhaust. Both vent settings are OPEN exhaust only. Which means if I want my windshield to stay free of fog, I have to breathe in truck and car fumes. This is a MAJOR drawback that will affect what I buy next time I'm in the market for a new car. Even the new Camry, which I have as a loaner car right now, only keeps the exhaust closed for a couple of minutes before automatically shutting it off. So I have to risk taking my eyes off the road every two minutes to press the button to close the exhaust again.