A Kick to Drive
By Pennysaver on
2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
I've owned my 5 spd. XR for a year. Storage is incredible(seats fold absolutely flat and can carry 15+ bags of mulch, for example), turning radius is excellent, head and rear seating space is great, performance is very reliable and it's easy to maneuver. Would prefer availability of 5 spd. manual on XRS 4WD, slightly higher grade of comfort (leather seats, wood trim, more upscale features) but it's economical (32 MPG city, 39 MPG hwy)and comfortable and that's what counts.
Favorite Features
Maneuverability, storage space, and gas mileage are excellent. Engine is responsive and there's nothing sluggish about this 1.8 ltr. 130 hp engine, especially a 5 spd. Much better performance than my previous 2000 2.2 ltr. 130 hp Solara.
Suggested Improvements
Major problem to fix: serious blindspots on both driver and passenger sides that could mask a Hummer, requiring a small convex mirror to reduce blind spots, or physical head turning to ensure clearance. Regular side mirrors are very inadequate. Overall, though, I am very pleased with this vehicle.