Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Toyota Quality?
By Keith

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Issues: 1)Noisey front end. Dealer says it's the tires (Continentals) and won't do anything about it. 2)Needed a serpentine belt at 12,500 miles. Why? 3)You have to sit on the passenger seat to move it. 4)Auto locks will automatically relock 30 seconds after you hit the button. 5)Driver side window broke at 11,000. Took the dealer 2 trys to fix it. 6)Auto Transmission is "iffy" coming down hills. 7)Rear windshield wiper is noisey even if it's new. (And a new one costs 20 bucks) 8)Spoilers are too low to the ground. Every matrix XR I have seen in parking lots have theirs broked right in front of rear wheels (they bottom out over speed bumps.)

Gas mileage is great. Looks Cool. The color of mine is Great (Gray Pearl) Dark enough to be neat, but not too dark to show dirt. Tight turning raius. For a small car it's back seat is big. Fits rear facing car seat well.

-Better tires, or higher quality control in suspension manufacture. Seems very tinny. -closer attention to quality...see issues. Toyota is suppose to be the best and it seems to be lacking in this model.

Matrix, a class by its own......
By Ziggy

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

driving this one of a kind vehicle in its own class is quite intriguing with me. Besides purshasing at a reasonable price is well deserving.It should if not pass the rate of the corolla.

Poor Matrix
By shane

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car, it fit all my needs, even trips to Home Depot and Lowes for the occasional building material. I owned it for two years before I wrecked on I495. Now I am going to go buy another one in a different color.

The look, not your everyday grocery getter.

Make it faster and more fuel efficient.

Reliability NOT GOOD ENOUGH
By Larry

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is the most underpowered vehicle on the planet. We have the XR 4WD, why didn't it come with the S motor? It is dangerously slow! We get passed by semis on the hi-way all the time. The Toyota auto-power locks are terrible, everytime you want to get into a door, it locks itself. And you cannot manually turn off the headlights, this is very annoying if you are approaching someone's place late at night it is like a plane landing. Why does the window lock disable the driver's controls?? Poor interior lighting control. Overall a BIG disappointment. Poor interior colors, shows all the fuzz and dirt, poor tire wear, poor disc brakes.

AC outlet, 6 CD, uh, that's it.

well, they discontinued it!

Expensive repairs
By A.Barnett

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I switched from SUVs to this car for fuel economy. It is fun to drive, but repairs are costly. Air conditioner repair was over $1000 and the brake rotors warped at 39000 miles -another $550. Toyota acknowledges no responsibility. This is my last Toyota.

Use of interior space is exceptional.

Better quality original equipment. I can't keep up with their expensive repairs.