2005 Toyota Matrix Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Matrix
By Toyota Matrix XRS

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I think it has great get up and go. The handling is very nice. The design inside and out is also great. It looks and feels very sporty. Perfect for a modern mom and cool enough for my husband to commute to work in. It handles hills & mountainous roads very well (and very fun). I have a baby and a toddler and the car seats fit fine (even with my husband in the front seat... he's 6'5".) Our full size stroller fits great in the back cargo area with room to spare... NO COMPLAINTS!

Favorite Features

Stick shift is FUN. Gas economy is wonderful...my pocket book LOVES it.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the air conditioner would work faster in this summer heat (especially with kids in the car).

Fun and versatile
By Dogdoc

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I retired a big SUV after 10 years and 160K miles to buy a new Matrix. It always gets noticed, and everybody likes the looks. I volunteer at a high school, and the kids have dubbed it "cool" and "so cute", about the highest praise available from teenagers. It seats five with good comfort (I've taken some of those same kids on a two-hour trip, and they stayed cheerful in the back seat) and it has the cargo room needed by a homeowner and business owner making weekend trips to Lowe's and Home Depot, and the plastic surface and abundant tiedowns and cubbies make the cargo area very useful. And it sure was nice to see the dials on the gas pump start with a "2" instead of a "4".

Favorite Features

Nice looks and excellent interior design, for both humans and cargo. Very versatile car.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power would be nice, but it would no doubt come at the expense of fuel economy, and I'm not sure I want to give that up, either.

First toyota
By otto mattioli

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent entry/exit makes this the best size for my wife and I, both in or late 60's. We dont have to crawl under a steering wheel like some of the newer cars or climb up like some of the big suv's seat/steering wheel adjusment is great. Would recommend this wagon to anyone I can.

Favorite Features

Entry/exit.

Suggested Improvements

None...don't ruin a good thing!

A Car for all Seasons
By New Englander

2005 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having recently moved from Manhattan, where I spent my entire adult life, I was completely overwhelmed about the car choices before me. I researched virtually every model of every make of every 2005 car. What did I end up choosing? The Toyota Matrix. First off, I loved the styling. It's got a very Eurosmart kind of feel to it. Secondly, although the 4WD does not get the kind of mileage that the FWD manual does, it is still efficient. Thirdly, I can pack virtually anything into Trixie. Not only that but the multiple folding seat options, various cargo nets and tie-downs rock. The 4WD worked beautifully on those snowy days, yet she's petite enough to park on tiny NYC streets.

Favorite Features

4WD, moonroof, styling

Suggested Improvements

More power, less plastic. Do away with the red nighttime gauges. I'm driving, not taking a mission to Mars.

Great car for the money
By shar

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. It drives so well. I had a small SUV, and it was difficult to drive. So all the storage capabilities of the SUV are in this Matrix, and yet it drives like a car and the gas mileage is like a car. All that see it are very impressed with the style. It's also a fun car to drive.

Favorite Features

storage capabilities, style, color (phantom grey, great handling

Suggested Improvements

more insulation inside the roof - heavy rain is a bit noisy. Rain coming in the open windows - no "gutter" to keep the rain from coming in.

Sell price
By carolle

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Tell me what is really necessary to maintain the actual warranty, ect. lube oil filter and full service. What is the actual re-sale value my car is actually a 2004 matrix

Favorite Features

easy to handle and feel it wil last the life of the car

Suggested Improvements

wish i had power steering on the basic model as the car would perform better on the highway. This should be mandatory nor extra.

Spunky car
By cmpchicky

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The XRS model is good for those who love to drive. The fuel economy can be better - it requires fuel with octanes of 91 or higher. It could hurt the wallet if you drive a lot. Otherwise, i love it.

Favorite Features

Very Spacious - like a small SUV Moonroof Great pickup for a 4-cyl

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy tempermental radio system

Just what I was looking for
By Ryan

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When we were looking to buy, we had a few primary concerns: cargo space, being able to park it in NYC, mileage, price, and of course safety. We're thrilled with the Matrix because it's delivered on all fronts. Playing in a band, I need to haul alot of equipment around with me- it has more than enough space and the plastic cargo area is durable and eases loading in/out. It's shorter (though taller and wider) than the Corolla, and parking even in tight spots has been a breeze. the MPG has been at around 28-32, depending on where i'm driving (city or hwy), and this will go up over the next year or two. i paid 15,000 for it, which i was happy with! and it's gotten great safety ratings!

Favorite Features

Ergonimcal interior design, high placement of the manual shift (closer to the steering wheel). plenty of cargo space compared to most hatchbacks. Plastic cargo area. overall economy of the vehicle. better than average factory stereo. VERY good pickup and handling for a small car!

Suggested Improvements

A less wimpy horn. better placement of the coin holder (it's under the parking brake, which is hard to reach). more adjustible drivers side seating. a less flimsy trunk cover. I HATE plastic bumpers- at least have an option of a real bumper that doesn't break or chip if someone bumps you lightly.

Don't look any further
By jjehly

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a LOT of fun to drive. The ride is a little more stiff than the Camry and it's a little louder. The guages are extremely easy to see even in direct sunlight and are very well thought out. All of the controls are within easy reach and make sense where they are placed. The driver's seat has a height adjustment so my wife (on the short side) can see out just as well as I can when she lifts it up. Our 3 kids fit in the back without any problems and my 10 year old still has plenty of leg room and room to grow even when I have the seat as far back as I need it. The seats folding and creating a flat loading space is great, durable and easy to clean.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage (avg. 30 so far). Flat-folding rear seats. Sporty look and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Make 4-wheel disc brakes and option for the XR too, not just the XRS.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By drez

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My husband and I were looking at this car to save us with gas prices today. After years of luxury SUVs, we were looking for something simple and efficient. When we went to test drive it, we were purely expecting it to be just adequate. We were so wrong. We loved it! It is quiet and despite being a small engine, it has great drive and pick-up. We have two small children and there is plenty of room even with an adult and two car seats in the back seat. We are so pleased and highly recommend this car to anyone!!!

Favorite Features

gas mileage, comfort, compact yet with plenty of space

Suggested Improvements

electronic side mirrors and side mirror defrost.