2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Great Matrix
By Toyota Matrix XRS on 07/30/05 18:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I think it has great get up and go. The handling is very nice. The design inside and out is also great. It looks and feels very sporty. Perfect for a modern mom and cool enough for my husband to commute to work in. It handles hills & mountainous roads very well (and very fun). I have a baby and a toddler and the car seats fit fine (even with my husband in the front seat... he's 6'5".) Our full size stroller fits great in the back cargo area with room to spare... NO COMPLAINTS!

Fun and versatile
By Dogdoc on 07/30/05 10:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I retired a big SUV after 10 years and 160K miles to buy a new Matrix. It always gets noticed, and everybody likes the looks. I volunteer at a high school, and the kids have dubbed it "cool" and "so cute", about the highest praise available from teenagers. It seats five with good comfort (I've taken some of those same kids on a two-hour trip, and they stayed cheerful in the back seat) and it has the cargo room needed by a homeowner and business owner making weekend trips to Lowe's and Home Depot, and the plastic surface and abundant tiedowns and cubbies make the cargo area very useful. And it sure was nice to see the dials on the gas pump start with a "2" instead of a "4".

First toyota
By otto mattioli on 07/26/05 21:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent entry/exit makes this the best size for my wife and I, both in or late 60's. We dont have to crawl under a steering wheel like some of the newer cars or climb up like some of the big suv's seat/steering wheel adjusment is great. Would recommend this wagon to anyone I can.

A Car for all Seasons
By New Englander on 07/16/05 20:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having recently moved from Manhattan, where I spent my entire adult life, I was completely overwhelmed about the car choices before me. I researched virtually every model of every make of every 2005 car. What did I end up choosing? The Toyota Matrix. First off, I loved the styling. It's got a very Eurosmart kind of feel to it. Secondly, although the 4WD does not get the kind of mileage that the FWD manual does, it is still efficient. Thirdly, I can pack virtually anything into Trixie. Not only that but the multiple folding seat options, various cargo nets and tie-downs rock. The 4WD worked beautifully on those snowy days, yet she's petite enough to park on tiny NYC streets.

Great car for the money
By shar on 06/29/05 17:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. It drives so well. I had a small SUV, and it was difficult to drive. So all the storage capabilities of the SUV are in this Matrix, and yet it drives like a car and the gas mileage is like a car. All that see it are very impressed with the style. It's also a fun car to drive.

Sell price
By carolle on 06/29/05 16:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Tell me what is really necessary to maintain the actual warranty, ect. lube oil filter and full service. What is the actual re-sale value my car is actually a 2004 matrix

Spunky car
By cmpchicky on 06/29/05 16:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The XRS model is good for those who love to drive. The fuel economy can be better - it requires fuel with octanes of 91 or higher. It could hurt the wallet if you drive a lot. Otherwise, i love it.

Just what I was looking for
By Ryan on 06/27/05 14:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When we were looking to buy, we had a few primary concerns: cargo space, being able to park it in NYC, mileage, price, and of course safety. We're thrilled with the Matrix because it's delivered on all fronts. Playing in a band, I need to haul alot of equipment around with me- it has more than enough space and the plastic cargo area is durable and eases loading in/out. It's shorter (though taller and wider) than the Corolla, and parking even in tight spots has been a breeze. the MPG has been at around 28-32, depending on where i'm driving (city or hwy), and this will go up over the next year or two. i paid 15,000 for it, which i was happy with! and it's gotten great safety ratings!

Don't look any further
By jjehly on 06/02/05 21:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a LOT of fun to drive. The ride is a little more stiff than the Camry and it's a little louder. The guages are extremely easy to see even in direct sunlight and are very well thought out. All of the controls are within easy reach and make sense where they are placed. The driver's seat has a height adjustment so my wife (on the short side) can see out just as well as I can when she lifts it up. Our 3 kids fit in the back without any problems and my 10 year old still has plenty of leg room and room to grow even when I have the seat as far back as I need it. The seats folding and creating a flat loading space is great, durable and easy to clean.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By drez on 05/27/05 10:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My husband and I were looking at this car to save us with gas prices today. After years of luxury SUVs, we were looking for something simple and efficient. When we went to test drive it, we were purely expecting it to be just adequate. We were so wrong. We loved it! It is quiet and despite being a small engine, it has great drive and pick-up. We have two small children and there is plenty of room even with an adult and two car seats in the back seat. We are so pleased and highly recommend this car to anyone!!!