Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Not What I Expected
By Dissapointed

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle replaced a 2005 Toyota Corolla, The Corolla was nearly a perfect vehicle. The Matrix isn't even close to the quality or integrity of the Corolla. The interior plastic is of very poor quality and appearance. The gas mileage as far, far less than the Corolla. It's hard to believe the Matrix is a Toyota. I am not at all pleased with the Matrix. This vehicle has caused me to substantially lower my opinion of Toyota.

Favorite Features

Sitting position. Reliability. Easy to read and use instrument panel. Easy to enter and exit vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system, higher quality plastics in the interior, and better gas mileage without any loss of power.

Small car with big feel
By ckp

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to save money on gas over my F-150 4x4. The mileage is great at between 29-32 MPG city driving back and forth to work. I'm 6'5" and am amazed at how comfortably I fit into it. It's a very reliable car, in 18 months, I have had no problems. I change the oil and put gas in it. The interior is awesome with multiple seat configurations when I need space. The outlet in the dash is cool, as are all of the other features I have (premium sound, 17" wheels, sun roof, cruise and A/C). With the 5 speed, it runs very well (not a race car), to include highway traffic with the A/C on - no problems!

Favorite Features

Interior space! Versatility! Fuel economy and reliability. Ride and handling is great. It's fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Add 4 wheel disc brakes at this pricepoint.

Mainly happy
By GMcGuire

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've been mainly happy, when you treat the thing like a motorcycle and bang off the redline at 6,000 rpm in 1st thru 3rd it works not too badly. Engine slow idle is a bit lumpy, and it lacks a bit of power with the a/c on. Absolutely must have 4 good snow tires installed, it's very light and it steps around quite a bit even on wet pavement. Great gas mileage, lots of room and functionality.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

30 second re-lock has to go; so does the moronic panic button on the back of the remote where I set if off at least once a week. Needs better stereo. Does have the "long crank" issue, sometimes it won't start - have to turn the key off and then try again.

The Matrix
By csmatrix

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Matrix for almost 2 years and so far it has been a great car but not without faults. The car is a tad underpowered and not as trouble free as I would expect from Toyota but its not bad either. And the suspension needs some improvement because it is very bouncy over bumps, but it handles very well. The interior is the Matrix best feature by far.

Favorite Features

The expensive feeling interior, good looks, great gas milage, sporty handling, comfortable ride on the highway, can haul anything, feels like a small SUV

Suggested Improvements

Rides like a pick up over bumps at low speeds, rough shifter and too tall gearing, touchy gas pedal, needs bigger, smoother running engine, starting problems.

Fantastic!
By foxxy1

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought the car yesterday and I love it. It's very roomy; big enough to fit my 6"4 father and two small nephews. The handling is great and the gas mileage is so far so good! A very pleasant surprise! Highly recommend!

Favorite Features

CD changer and interior space

Suggested Improvements

Turn signal is very quiet to hear.