2005 Toyota Matrix Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sort Reviews by

Downsize
By Lamar Winters

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having driven this car for only the best part of a week I must say that I am impressed, despite the "expert" evaluations. Just coming off a Lexus RX330 I had no big expectations but needed to down size and I am a big Toyota fan. I really enjoy the driving experience and my height(5'10") and arm length adapt to the driving position nicely. I don't have a problem with the engine performance because for me it's a change in driving style and a willingness to adapt. Road noise is not all that bad and all this fuss about engine noise I don't get at all. I drove the AWD car initially but did not like the color or performance and was please when I drove away in the FWD, Shadow Mica ... cool!!

Favorite Features

The folding seat scheme is very handy. I also really like to 115V outlet for my laptop. It's great to have a rear latch opener on the remote. Of course my favorite feature is the $$ sign that shows up on the pump when I fill up.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the spoilers. Put a auto dim rear view mirror in the QP2 package along with dimming for the side mirrors as well. Those features I really miss on the Lexus. Get rid of the crome trim around the gauges, it's distracting but closing the hatch on the sunroof helps. A DC outlet in the rear.

Great Ride
By The Barbarian

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the matrix because I needed a utility vehicle that had good gas mileage. The back seats fold perfectly flat, and with the front passenger seat down, I have 8 ft of plastic covered space I can haul lumber and gardening stuff in for home projects.

Favorite Features

The built in hooks on the interior walls keep everything secure. A large dog crate slides in and out with room on top for more gear. There are lots of hidden compartments as well for storage. The design of the front seat/multiple power hook ups are awesome for using a laptop while on a road trip.

Suggested Improvements

It's hard to see what's behind the vehicle, especially at a small child or dog's level. The rear windows are small and mirrors have blind spots. A roof rack would be a nice feature to have, none of the models have one.

Too much fun (causing some guilty)
By Don Huffman

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Style finally grew on me (been looking at it for 3 years)- I was waiting for a Corolla station wagon - to no avail. I love the tight handling. Love the access to the controls. Very accessible for passengers and cargo (love the small liftback door). Well accessorized. Red instruments are difficult to read (I am a little color blind).

Favorite Features

Hatch back, tight handling, gas mileage, moon-roof, 6-CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Make the dash controls visible (the red is terrible - may try to open the speedo and paint the needle white).. Have a REAL spare tire (PLEASE)!!

love It
By XRauto

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Overall this is a great car. I would buy another in an instant. I would suggest a few changes to toyota but other wise they got it dead on right.

Favorite Features

utility and interior design. The seats are very nice. Love the dark color and the dash lighting.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic transmisson uses up to much power. sluggish on hills. Gas mileage suffers for this. Either they need a high torque diesel or a different gearbox...

Exceeded my expectations; Love it
By Debra

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2005 XR AWD for 3 months now. It has really exceeded my expectations. Not one problem, and it's so solid, practical and well designed that I don't know why it doesn't get more attention (maybe a name change would help). It's perfect for my needs, great for shopping and transporting stuff, and the mpg are in line with the expected rating. I don't miss my jeep v8 grand cherokee at all (especially the gas guzzling). So comfortable and easy, great value for the $$$, a real joy to own and drive. What a nice surprise!

Favorite Features

XR has firm comfortable seats, good leg room, easy entr/exit, great compartments, rear hatch window w/remote, controls all in easy reach. really love the shifter location, easy to clean fold flat cargo area, and nice 'n easy handling. haven't had snow yet, but looking forward to trying out the AWD

Suggested Improvements

coming from a v8, i would like a little better acceleration (perhaps offer the RAV engine with the awd if poss.), but i'm getting used to it. be careful with the paint, it scratches easy. offer lux. pkg with leather, power seats, navi, bet. stereo & retract. antenna. rear vis. hard if you're short

My Matrix is 2003
By pam

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the Matrix the first year out, and it has been a great car. I find it drives well both in the city and on the highway. I traded a RAV4 for the Matrix and I like it so much better. There is plenty of cargo room and the fuel mileage at this time is a life saver. I have always been a Toyota woman, and have never really been disappointed. For the money, I think this is the best value on the road.

Favorite Features

Pick-up coming onto the highway. Easy to drive. Good view from all sides. Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

A dash board that could be cleaned easier.

Happy to be downsized!
By COZigs

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. We downsized from a Grand Caravan (talk about a lemon!!) and had the requirements of high gas mileage and serious reliability with enough cargo room to carry a labrador... this car fits the bill for sure! Two months later and I love it. It handles well (helped me lose the minivan-mom image), has gotten 29 mpg the last two tanks (combined driving but mostly city) and with the Toyota name on the back I know it will satisfy my need to not dump money into expensive repairs. The cargo area is all plastic, which works great with the dog and my husband wishes he could pull the super-comfy seats out of my Matrix for his Scion XB.

Favorite Features

Body and dash styling, comfy seats, sits higher than the typical car. Gas mileage is great. Zippy around town. Fog lamps are handy in mountain or remote driving at night. Light- sensored headlights. Rear hatch glass opens.

Suggested Improvements

Stock stereo somewhat pathetic. Rear seats sit so low my kids can't see out. Engine lacks power with A/C on (but a good sacrifice for the gas mileage). No standard ABS other than XRS model.

Love this car
By Ray Edwards

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife and bought a second for my son. Both cars have the craftsmanship that you expect from Toyota.The interior is much roomier than you would expect from a car that is built on Corolla specs. With the seats folded down, my son can easily fit his road bike inside without removing the front tire. The vehicle gets very good gas mileage (recently on a highway trip we got 32 mpg). Many people stop us and ask about the car, and we always give rave reviews.

Favorite Features

The instrumentation is very well organized and the red lighting is sharp against the black. The interior re-configures very easily; the passenger seat even folds to a table top.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic does not have the torque it should. I have driven Vibes (their Pontiac counterpart) that seemed quicker. The standard provides a better option here.

new owner
By NLS

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Love how it handles, and how it looks! It is so much fun to drive you forget its a sensible car! And with seats folded down, it holds a lot!!

Favorite Features

Height of car - great visibility. Turning radius is tight making maneuvering in tight spaces easy.

Suggested Improvements

2 large size cup holders up front instead of one small and one large. Better angle for accelerator - ergonomics not quite right there.

Lexus for the Matrix - Very Happy!
By MarkZ

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my RX300 for the XR and couldn't be happier. My gas gauge doesn't plummet anymore and I can turn on a dime. Not as luxurious (wife misses heated seats) but love the sporty 5spd manual drive (flashback to my '88 Prelude days). Lots of room for my band equipment and baby on the way. Like the RX, the hatch can hold a lot. Just picked up a massage chair - to the surprise of the staff it slipped right in. Way to go Toyota. Matrix joins my Toyota family of a '97 Previa that I love just as much.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage; Sleek look; comfort; Cargo area and superb handling!!

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors should turn in for us NY city drivers and a little more horse power.