2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Downsize
By Lamar Winters on 09/23/05 09:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having driven this car for only the best part of a week I must say that I am impressed, despite the "expert" evaluations. Just coming off a Lexus RX330 I had no big expectations but needed to down size and I am a big Toyota fan. I really enjoy the driving experience and my height(5'10") and arm length adapt to the driving position nicely. I don't have a problem with the engine performance because for me it's a change in driving style and a willingness to adapt. Road noise is not all that bad and all this fuss about engine noise I don't get at all. I drove the AWD car initially but did not like the color or performance and was please when I drove away in the FWD, Shadow Mica ... cool!!

Great Ride
By The Barbarian on 09/05/05 21:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the matrix because I needed a utility vehicle that had good gas mileage. The back seats fold perfectly flat, and with the front passenger seat down, I have 8 ft of plastic covered space I can haul lumber and gardening stuff in for home projects.

Too much fun (causing some guilty)
By Don Huffman on 09/05/05 19:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Style finally grew on me (been looking at it for 3 years)- I was waiting for a Corolla station wagon - to no avail. I love the tight handling. Love the access to the controls. Very accessible for passengers and cargo (love the small liftback door). Well accessorized. Red instruments are difficult to read (I am a little color blind).

love It
By XRauto on 09/04/05 21:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Overall this is a great car. I would buy another in an instant. I would suggest a few changes to toyota but other wise they got it dead on right.

Exceeded my expectations; Love it
By Debra on 08/28/05 14:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2005 XR AWD for 3 months now. It has really exceeded my expectations. Not one problem, and it's so solid, practical and well designed that I don't know why it doesn't get more attention (maybe a name change would help). It's perfect for my needs, great for shopping and transporting stuff, and the mpg are in line with the expected rating. I don't miss my jeep v8 grand cherokee at all (especially the gas guzzling). So comfortable and easy, great value for the $$$, a real joy to own and drive. What a nice surprise!

My Matrix is 2003
By pam on 08/24/05 16:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the Matrix the first year out, and it has been a great car. I find it drives well both in the city and on the highway. I traded a RAV4 for the Matrix and I like it so much better. There is plenty of cargo room and the fuel mileage at this time is a life saver. I have always been a Toyota woman, and have never really been disappointed. For the money, I think this is the best value on the road.

Happy to be downsized!
By COZigs on 08/22/05 19:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. We downsized from a Grand Caravan (talk about a lemon!!) and had the requirements of high gas mileage and serious reliability with enough cargo room to carry a labrador... this car fits the bill for sure! Two months later and I love it. It handles well (helped me lose the minivan-mom image), has gotten 29 mpg the last two tanks (combined driving but mostly city) and with the Toyota name on the back I know it will satisfy my need to not dump money into expensive repairs. The cargo area is all plastic, which works great with the dog and my husband wishes he could pull the super-comfy seats out of my Matrix for his Scion XB.

Love this car
By Ray Edwards on 08/20/05 18:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife and bought a second for my son. Both cars have the craftsmanship that you expect from Toyota.The interior is much roomier than you would expect from a car that is built on Corolla specs. With the seats folded down, my son can easily fit his road bike inside without removing the front tire. The vehicle gets very good gas mileage (recently on a highway trip we got 32 mpg). Many people stop us and ask about the car, and we always give rave reviews.

new owner
By NLS on 08/15/05 21:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Love how it handles, and how it looks! It is so much fun to drive you forget its a sensible car! And with seats folded down, it holds a lot!!

Lexus for the Matrix - Very Happy!
By MarkZ on 08/09/05 10:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my RX300 for the XR and couldn't be happier. My gas gauge doesn't plummet anymore and I can turn on a dime. Not as luxurious (wife misses heated seats) but love the sporty 5spd manual drive (flashback to my '88 Prelude days). Lots of room for my band equipment and baby on the way. Like the RX, the hatch can hold a lot. Just picked up a massage chair - to the surprise of the staff it slipped right in. Way to go Toyota. Matrix joins my Toyota family of a '97 Previa that I love just as much.