Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Awesome Car
By mumbulo

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great. I love being able to fold down the seats (I think my Matrix actually fits more than my pick-up truck bed). The car is comfortable, great fuel economy and very roomy for a car of its size. The only real complaint that I have is that the tires that Toyota puts on are crap (noisy, very slippery in inclement conditions, and are already cracking with 26,000 miles on the car) but that should be remedied when we replace them. Great car, great value, would definitely recommend.

Fold down seats are definitely my favorite feature (and the reason we got the car). The car is also very spacious and we have fit 5 adults comfortably in it.

Better tires to cut down on raod noise and improve traction.

Not What I Expected
By Dissapointed

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle replaced a 2005 Toyota Corolla, The Corolla was nearly a perfect vehicle. The Matrix isn't even close to the quality or integrity of the Corolla. The interior plastic is of very poor quality and appearance. The gas mileage as far, far less than the Corolla. It's hard to believe the Matrix is a Toyota. I am not at all pleased with the Matrix. This vehicle has caused me to substantially lower my opinion of Toyota.

Sitting position. Reliability. Easy to read and use instrument panel. Easy to enter and exit vehicle.

Better sound system, higher quality plastics in the interior, and better gas mileage without any loss of power.

Small car with big feel
By ckp

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to save money on gas over my F-150 4x4. The mileage is great at between 29-32 MPG city driving back and forth to work. I'm 6'5" and am amazed at how comfortably I fit into it. It's a very reliable car, in 18 months, I have had no problems. I change the oil and put gas in it. The interior is awesome with multiple seat configurations when I need space. The outlet in the dash is cool, as are all of the other features I have (premium sound, 17" wheels, sun roof, cruise and A/C). With the 5 speed, it runs very well (not a race car), to include highway traffic with the A/C on - no problems!

Interior space! Versatility! Fuel economy and reliability. Ride and handling is great. It's fun to drive.

Add 4 wheel disc brakes at this pricepoint.

Mainly happy
By GMcGuire

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've been mainly happy, when you treat the thing like a motorcycle and bang off the redline at 6,000 rpm in 1st thru 3rd it works not too badly. Engine slow idle is a bit lumpy, and it lacks a bit of power with the a/c on. Absolutely must have 4 good snow tires installed, it's very light and it steps around quite a bit even on wet pavement. Great gas mileage, lots of room and functionality.

Fun to drive, good gas mileage.

30 second re-lock has to go; so does the moronic panic button on the back of the remote where I set if off at least once a week. Needs better stereo. Does have the "long crank" issue, sometimes it won't start - have to turn the key off and then try again.

The Matrix
By csmatrix

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Matrix for almost 2 years and so far it has been a great car but not without faults. The car is a tad underpowered and not as trouble free as I would expect from Toyota but its not bad either. And the suspension needs some improvement because it is very bouncy over bumps, but it handles very well. The interior is the Matrix best feature by far.

The expensive feeling interior, good looks, great gas milage, sporty handling, comfortable ride on the highway, can haul anything, feels like a small SUV

Rides like a pick up over bumps at low speeds, rough shifter and too tall gearing, touchy gas pedal, needs bigger, smoother running engine, starting problems.