Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

2005 toyota matrix ( caa)
By clay adams

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Interior road noise, brakes squeak, brake pads wear out. Outside mirrors are a little too small. Seats are a little too low sitting

Gas mileage, small size, radio, long distance driving comfort, looks.

Larger outside mirrors, larger visors.

Good little car
By Mike St-Pierre

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car, only a couple small complaints. The fan belt squeaks in damp weather (replaced it twice). And the rear tires seem to wear down very fast. Very easy to get in or out,large cargo area. Fuel mileage not too bad. Getting about 33 mpg on highway.

Ease of entry & exit, large cargo area, back seats have plenty of headroom, stereo rocks!!

Fuel mileage for the automatics could be improved, snow gets in on top of the rear hatch which makes it hard to open all the way.

XRS-2ZZ-GE
By Guy Hence

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Yamaha built engine in this car is terrific! Same as the expensive Lotus Elise and Exige! The XRS handles well and gets good mileage. Service is simple and low cost. This is a great car that's well built.

Engine.

Improved horsepower for more low end torque.

I love my Matrix!
By WeatheringC

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had a little Honda before I bought my Matrix. When it came time to purchase a new car I had a tall list of things I wanted. I wanted to get my skis in the back, the ability load it up and haul things, and great gas mileage was essential since I was making an 800 mile round trip at least once a month. The Matrix was the only car to satisfy all those needs. I looked for a month before I found a hard to find used Matrix in my area! As soon as I test drove it I knew it was the car to get. The enginering of the interior is exceptional and makes it very versatile. I show it off to everyone. It's enginered well and the styling is classic. I love my Matrix!

Sliding hooks in the cargo area. I can strap anything down in back using the cargo straps or the cargo nets. I also love that the back is plastic lined. Makes it easy to clean. Oh! The sunroof is great too!

I would have liked to have power seats.

The Mini SUV
By WorkerE

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Compared this to a Corolla on the dealer lot and was immediately amazed by the amount of interior space and the fact that you don't feel like you're falling into the seat. You are almost sitting at the same level as some SUVs on the road. Gauges and interior controls are well placed and easy to operate. Handling and performance is ok for what you get in this model which is relatively basic. Plenty of room for family of four to get around - even on relatively long trips. We really like the hatchback design. Biggest gripe is the tire wear - we're at 47000 miles and just had to replace tires for the 3rd time and they ain't cheap for this car. Told that Matrix design just burns through tires.

Seat height and interior space. Good gas mileage.

Tire wear is a problem that needs to be addressed and apply more standard size tire for cost reduction on replacement. Dimmer control on dash is weird - have to cycle through the dimmer to turn on interior light.