2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Toyota Matrix = College Student's Dream
By Alex on 06/17/06 22:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I live in Upstate NY, and I must say that the AWD Matrix handles winter weather exceptionally well. Also, as a college student, the space the Matrix provides (especially when the seats fold down) is extremely accommodating. I practically fit my whole dorm room into this wagon! I love the Matrix so much that if I was ever to purchase a new car, it would definitely be a newer version of the Matrix, I cannot see myself driving any other car that fits my needs. The gas mileage for an AWD car is amazing: I drove from Oneonta, NY to Rochester, NY on a full tank of gas and I had above a half a tank still available. I've also found it to be very fun car to drive and the seats are very comfortable!

THE AMAZING MATRIX 2005
By 2005 Toyota Matrix on 04/29/06 06:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I formerly owned a Nissan Altima which was terrible on the road in the winter months. I saw the Toyota Matrix and I emailed the dealership and I went to test drive the Matrix. The minute I sat in the vehicle I loved it. The seats were very comfortable, the shift was right at your fingertips and I loved the aerodynamic build of the car. I took it out for a test ride it was wonderful. I remember it was snowing that day and it handled amazing. I went back to the dealership and I left with my new Matrix. The Matrix is excellent on gas mileage, easy to get into small parking places, and very convenient when you go shopping with the hatchback. I love my Toyota Matrix the heat is awesome!

I love my Matrix!
By Ryan on 04/21/06 13:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is great. It's everything I need- enough cargo space to haul around my music and A/V gear. Enough passenger space to carry 5 rather large guys to a ballgame. Better than average fuel economy (I live in NYC and get about 28 city and 38+ highway). I've had no problems with it, and I still love starting it up and driving it. It's really a perfect marriage of form, function, and is extremely well designed.

Matrix-Great buy
By Matrix on 04/18/06 08:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Matrix for little over a year now and love it. The gas mileage is great and its fun to drive. Wonderful if you have kids in sports.

"GREAT" Purchase!!!
By Julie Alvarado on 03/22/06 23:43 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's been 11 months since I made a great choice to buy a Matrix XR. I was on the market for 3 months for a Toyota Corolla Sport, and as I walked onto the Penske dealership in Downey, CA I came across the funniest looking little wagon that somehow grew on me and till this day is still growing. I love the interior as well as the exterior. My whole family fits comfortably and I know we will all get to our destination in a reliable and safe manner.

Go Matrix
By James Ray on 03/14/06 13:58 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for most everything. Commuting, hauling stuff and packing the family for a road trip. It gets great mileage and it's a great choice for conserving gas.

2005 XR 5-speed
By John on 03/02/06 04:56 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been completely satisfied with my Matrix after 1 year of ownership. It has been completely reliable and gas mileage as good as advertised at 33-36 MPG. It won't win any races for speed, but I knew that when I bought it.

Best small car wagon for the money
By norbert on 02/27/06 10:30 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Drives like the small car that it is. Very reliable. Great gas milage when you drive the speed limit and proper fuel saving driving techniques. 44 mpg on recent trip driving at 60 mpg in cruise control.

What a great car!!!
By Shai on 02/26/06 20:21 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

All right, I'll get straight to the point: This car in my opinion has by far the best value for the buck! Okay, so it's only a 1.8 engine, but it has well enough power to accelerate on the freeway, and once we all reach "65mph" (yea, I mean 75-80-85mph) it's all the same no matter what vehicle you drive right?. On the other hand, the Matrix XR has features that even a BMW doesn't. It's got a power outlet (115V) that turned out to be so useful, it's versatilty is outstanding. Right front seat can become a table, hard plastic surface on the back of the rear seats can turn the Matrix to a mini SUV, the fuel consumption is great (29mpg combining city and freeway driving), handling is outstanding!

Beware of this!!!
By Beware on 02/09/06 19:33 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I have been through 9 cars and we bought and paid off this vehicle in full because we like that it was a Toyota (great reputation in quality and durability) it was a four door and had great space and very attractive and sporty look. Unfortunately we've had the worst experience ever out of 9 cars!!! It only has 15,000 miles and I've been in the service deptarment more than I ever did for all my cars combined!!! To all who are looking into this car be aware that some matrix have been know to have a "long-crank" problem (mine is one of them). Sometimes it won't even start and I have to keep trying to start it with the key until it finally does. Very scary especially for a mom!