Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

No Highway Cruiser
By Ron Fielding

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for a winter traveler. It has proven to not be suitable for that. The AWD is great, it corners like a go cart, but the tiny gas tank is a pain. It goes pretty far on the first half of the gauge, but look for a station because you can almost see the level drop the second half. The engine is too small for the weight, so it it buzzy on the highway, and the mileage suffers if you push it on the hills. It does low thirties around town, but has gotten just over twenty, one tank, on the highway. That was in the mountains, and running the 75 limit. My wife is the primary driver when we don't travel, and she won't let me trade it for something else.

Favorite Features

The wife likes the styling, I don't. It is fun to drive. Everything works like it should. Great quality.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power, and more gears in the automatic transmission. The 10.8 gallon fuel tank is a joke. Also I added a vinyl side strip, as they have no protection from doors.

I love my matrix
By WEEEEEE!!

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car has been great it has never failed me once. The design is simple and easy to use. I love the power the 1.8 4 banger motor makes. It's awesome I had my matrix xrs at 140 mph (on a closed track of course). I bought this car coming from a Mercedes Benz and this car has been better. There is no traction control or stability control which is ok because you can throw this car where ever you want. It's so fun to drive I love it.

Favorite Features

When the second cam opens at 62000 rpm it becomes a whole other car

Suggested Improvements

Interior is a little flimsy but it's ok

I still love this car!
By Vickie

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2005 and 3 years later I still love this car! It's roomy, drives smooth and is cute! This car is very reliable and even with 143,000 miles on it I know I can still count on my Matrix!

Favorite Features

I love having all wheel drive and I also love the 6 cd changer

Suggested Improvements

Lights on visor mirrors, quieter engine, better quality plastic on the interior and tires are very expensive for this car

Great Car
By Greg

2005 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This may be the best car I've ever owned. Very well designed from an ergonomic standpoint. I now have 147000 miles on it and haven't spent a nickel on it for maintenance beyond the obvious (oil changes, brakes, tires and the like). I check my gas mileage at every fill-up, that being my "thing," and get 30mpg if I have been throwing caution to the wind, and upwards to 33 mpg if I slow down; most of my driving is on the highway. It isn't the quietest car I have been in but it is comfortable. I do find I have to be quite careful to look backwards for a blind spot. However in this age of craving hybrids, this is a great car with the standard internal combustion engine.

Favorite Features

Great sound system. Comfortable seats. I have an arthritic back, hence the easy in-and-out versus the step-up to an SUV was a pleasant surprise. Also, I've never had a problem with it getting stuck vs. a reasonable challenge.

Suggested Improvements

It might be the perfect vehicle with a bit more ground clearance. As it is I am exceedingly pleased. I owned a RAV4 and as much as I loved that vehicle I like this better as it has more acceleration.

This is our LAST Toyota
By Nita

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We've always owned Toyotas, but the flimsy interior and easily scratchable exterior have convinced me to look elsewhere. I hate the plastic in the cargo area because it cracks and breaks. Our '89 Corolla looked much better inside and out after 16 years than this hunk of cheap junk does after 3 years. Toyota should be ashamed of itself for making this crummy product. I also dislike the engine hesitation, the whistling wind from the closed front passenger window, and the way the electronic window controls broke for no discernible reason.

Favorite Features

I bought the Matrix for its high driver seat because of my bad back, and that is the only thing I like about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Use exterior paint that has the toughness of earlier model Toyotas. Replace the cheap flimsy interior plastic with durable material that doesn't scratch and break. And please give us back those great black rubber bumpers of the 1980s.