2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
2005 toyota matrix ( caa)
By clay adams on 04/25/08 21:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Interior road noise, brakes squeak, brake pads wear out. Outside mirrors are a little too small. Seats are a little too low sitting

Good little car
By Mike St-Pierre on 12/15/07 16:35 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car, only a couple small complaints. The fan belt squeaks in damp weather (replaced it twice). And the rear tires seem to wear down very fast. Very easy to get in or out,large cargo area. Fuel mileage not too bad. Getting about 33 mpg on highway.

XRS-2ZZ-GE
By Guy Hence on 10/01/07 12:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Yamaha built engine in this car is terrific! Same as the expensive Lotus Elise and Exige! The XRS handles well and gets good mileage. Service is simple and low cost. This is a great car that's well built.

I love my Matrix!
By WeatheringC on 09/16/07 20:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had a little Honda before I bought my Matrix. When it came time to purchase a new car I had a tall list of things I wanted. I wanted to get my skis in the back, the ability load it up and haul things, and great gas mileage was essential since I was making an 800 mile round trip at least once a month. The Matrix was the only car to satisfy all those needs. I looked for a month before I found a hard to find used Matrix in my area! As soon as I test drove it I knew it was the car to get. The enginering of the interior is exceptional and makes it very versatile. I show it off to everyone. It's enginered well and the styling is classic. I love my Matrix!

The Mini SUV
By WorkerE on 08/29/07 10:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Compared this to a Corolla on the dealer lot and was immediately amazed by the amount of interior space and the fact that you don't feel like you're falling into the seat. You are almost sitting at the same level as some SUVs on the road. Gauges and interior controls are well placed and easy to operate. Handling and performance is ok for what you get in this model which is relatively basic. Plenty of room for family of four to get around - even on relatively long trips. We really like the hatchback design. Biggest gripe is the tire wear - we're at 47000 miles and just had to replace tires for the 3rd time and they ain't cheap for this car. Told that Matrix design just burns through tires.

Good Car For The Money
By Jon on 07/08/07 12:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car give you everything from good fuel economy, good space for cargo, great style, very reliable, fun to drive with the six speed manual and it is quick when its RPMs are in the 8,000 range. Good car over all and would buy another one with no hesitation.

Money well spent!
By Glen Frizzell on 05/16/07 06:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's almost as fun as my MR2, cooler than a minivan, slowly chews the dinosaurs (gas), is functional inside and people love my indigo ink exterior. We've owned 2 other Toyota vehicles over the last 20 years - my wife and I put over 500,000 miles (not kilometres) on both and spent just under $900.00 Canadian total in unexpected (not routine maintenance) cost between them!

Biggest Little Car in Town!
By fb on 05/07/07 11:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Terrific car. I've fit sheet rock and lumber, furniture, and my critters (3 dogs and 2 cats) in this car with plenty of room to spare.

Toyota is resting on its reputation.
By Chris on 01/22/07 06:33 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Very disappointed in this vehicle. We bought Toyota because of legendary reliability, but have lost 2 hubcaps due to cracking and the interior has fallen apart. Excessive road noise, uncomfortable seating position, and lousy ride and fuel mileage has made this the last Toyota we will ever buy. Also, this car made for idiots will not let you turn off the lights.

Awesome Car
By mumbulo on 01/16/07 05:38 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great. I love being able to fold down the seats (I think my Matrix actually fits more than my pick-up truck bed). The car is comfortable, great fuel economy and very roomy for a car of its size. The only real complaint that I have is that the tires that Toyota puts on are crap (noisy, very slippery in inclement conditions, and are already cracking with 26,000 miles on the car) but that should be remedied when we replace them. Great car, great value, would definitely recommend.