2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Multi use car
By STAN THE MAN on 07/25/09 12:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is standard shift with six forward and one reverse with low profile tires and a factory modified engine that goes to 180 horse and 8,000 rpm. It gets between 30 to 35 mpg. It is part sport car, part economy car, part SUV and is always reliable. It is a fun car to drive. Toyota did not put many of these cars on the market. There are many SRV's with AWD but this is not one. Instead it has a sports car six forward gear standard transmission.

Toyota has started to fall
By Stan on 05/25/09 08:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Toyota after having Jeeps, Fords, and Chevy's and I thought I could buy a car that would last 200,000 miles. I was wrong. I am very unhappy with this car and I probably won't buy another Toyota. I will go back to Ford or Chevy. What is wrong: - Constant Chirp, Chirp under the hood. (The belt and tensioner have been fixed and or replaced 4 times.) I only have 71,000 miles on the car. - Drivers door won't unlock without key. - Tires had to be replaced at 15,000 miles. - Fan motor replaced at 45,000 miles as it would not work all the time. I never had a problem with my 1991 Ford Explorer or my 2002 Ford Explorer or my Chevy Pickup (S10). No more Toyota's at my house.

I love my Matrix
By Matrix one on 03/30/09 11:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased (ordered) the manual transmission - I love 5 speeds. I love my Matrix because it can carry so much. I went from a pick-up to this and I can still haul a lot of materials. I love the drive, the seats all go down and I like that the back is plastic. I don't even use the cargo net and rear cover but they are nice features. It is very comfortable and I love all the little storage places on the dash board.

2005 Toyota Matrix
By mark_texas_usa on 01/17/09 16:24 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought 2005 Matrix in July 2005. Battery failed after 20K miles, dealer replaced on warranty. Interior plastic features delaminating if grabbed by hands. Tires (terrible continental) replaced after 15K miles. Cruise control failed after 17K miles. Mileage is not meeting specs criteria? Vehicle garaged, currently Jan 09 24K miles. Summary: very poor quality vehicle. I had 1999 Ford F150 pick-up never a problem. In 10 yrs not even light bulb failed @150.

The Matrix shines in winter time!
By Kim on 12/19/08 11:53 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had it for a year and a half and it has been great, especially in the winter time. In the snow, I rarely spin my tires on a steep driveway or at a stop sign on an incline. The car has great control overall. I've never felt safer in a car before. My passengers feel safe too. I recently heard this car gets the highest marks for side-impact collision. I'd believe it! You just feel taken care of inside. The only downer is that I have to replace a rear hub bearing now not even at 100,000. That was unexpected and will be pricey. Rumors of a previous recall for this model are out there, but who knows. And no warranty will cover it now. You may want to research that issue.

No Highway Cruiser
By Ron Fielding on 12/04/08 14:59 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for a winter traveler. It has proven to not be suitable for that. The AWD is great, it corners like a go cart, but the tiny gas tank is a pain. It goes pretty far on the first half of the gauge, but look for a station because you can almost see the level drop the second half. The engine is too small for the weight, so it it buzzy on the highway, and the mileage suffers if you push it on the hills. It does low thirties around town, but has gotten just over twenty, one tank, on the highway. That was in the mountains, and running the 75 limit. My wife is the primary driver when we don't travel, and she won't let me trade it for something else.

I love my matrix
By WEEEEEE!! on 08/05/08 14:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car has been great it has never failed me once. The design is simple and easy to use. I love the power the 1.8 4 banger motor makes. It's awesome I had my matrix xrs at 140 mph (on a closed track of course). I bought this car coming from a Mercedes Benz and this car has been better. There is no traction control or stability control which is ok because you can throw this car where ever you want. It's so fun to drive I love it.

I still love this car!
By Vickie on 07/18/08 12:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2005 and 3 years later I still love this car! It's roomy, drives smooth and is cute! This car is very reliable and even with 143,000 miles on it I know I can still count on my Matrix!

Great Car
By Greg on 07/05/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This may be the best car I've ever owned. Very well designed from an ergonomic standpoint. I now have 147000 miles on it and haven't spent a nickel on it for maintenance beyond the obvious (oil changes, brakes, tires and the like). I check my gas mileage at every fill-up, that being my "thing," and get 30mpg if I have been throwing caution to the wind, and upwards to 33 mpg if I slow down; most of my driving is on the highway. It isn't the quietest car I have been in but it is comfortable. I do find I have to be quite careful to look backwards for a blind spot. However in this age of craving hybrids, this is a great car with the standard internal combustion engine.

This is our LAST Toyota
By Nita on 04/28/08 15:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We've always owned Toyotas, but the flimsy interior and easily scratchable exterior have convinced me to look elsewhere. I hate the plastic in the cargo area because it cracks and breaks. Our '89 Corolla looked much better inside and out after 16 years than this hunk of cheap junk does after 3 years. Toyota should be ashamed of itself for making this crummy product. I also dislike the engine hesitation, the whistling wind from the closed front passenger window, and the way the electronic window controls broke for no discernible reason.