Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Most Helpful|
Not What I Expected
By Dissapointed

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle replaced a 2005 Toyota Corolla, The Corolla was nearly a perfect vehicle. The Matrix isn't even close to the quality or integrity of the Corolla. The interior plastic is of very poor quality and appearance. The gas mileage as far, far less than the Corolla. It's hard to believe the Matrix is a Toyota. I am not at all pleased with the Matrix. This vehicle has caused me to substantially lower my opinion of Toyota.

Favorite Features

Sitting position. Reliability. Easy to read and use instrument panel. Easy to enter and exit vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system, higher quality plastics in the interior, and better gas mileage without any loss of power.

Too much fun (causing some guilty)
By Don Huffman

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Style finally grew on me (been looking at it for 3 years)- I was waiting for a Corolla station wagon - to no avail. I love the tight handling. Love the access to the controls. Very accessible for passengers and cargo (love the small liftback door). Well accessorized. Red instruments are difficult to read (I am a little color blind).

Favorite Features

Hatch back, tight handling, gas mileage, moon-roof, 6-CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Make the dash controls visible (the red is terrible - may try to open the speedo and paint the needle white).. Have a REAL spare tire (PLEASE)!!

The Matrix shines in winter time!
By Kim

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had it for a year and a half and it has been great, especially in the winter time. In the snow, I rarely spin my tires on a steep driveway or at a stop sign on an incline. The car has great control overall. I've never felt safer in a car before. My passengers feel safe too. I recently heard this car gets the highest marks for side-impact collision. I'd believe it! You just feel taken care of inside. The only downer is that I have to replace a rear hub bearing now not even at 100,000. That was unexpected and will be pricey. Rumors of a previous recall for this model are out there, but who knows. And no warranty will cover it now. You may want to research that issue.

Favorite Features

The AWD!! I also like the softer seats in the XR, 6-disc changer & great speakers, handy lights on the rear-view mirror, different cubbies in the front and rear, post-factory remote starter, dark blue exterior, headlamps, & the way the doors feel when I shut them. They just feel like quality.

Suggested Improvements

Remote starter, more get-up-and-go, a sun or moon roof

Great car for tall people
By HL

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have 90,000 miles on this car and love it. Drove cross-country with 6'5" husband and had plenty of space for us and other large items. Mileage more than 36 mi/gal. Thanks.

Favorite Features

36+ miles per gallon, height of interior

Suggested Improvements

better tires--need snow tires for winter driving, better defroster

Peppy little car
By threesa

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Matrix new and have been pretty satisfied with it. It's comfortable (even for passengers), spacious, reliable, and quite peppy. This car is not 4-wheel drive but it easily climbs dirt roads in the mountains. Probably the only fault with it is it doesn't handle inclement weather well at all (I live in the mountains so this posed a serious problem with the snow). I eventually had to put some sandbags down on the passenger foot areas to provide additional weight. Since my usual passengers are 3 dogs, this hasn't encumbered them but, for older children or adults sitting in the back, this would most likely be quite uncomfortable.