Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Everything I Expected
By JohnC19

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2005 Matrix XR 5-speed for 4 months and so far have nothing but good things to say about the car. My Matrix is fun to drive, has very comfortable and supportive seats, lots of passenger room, and gets very good gas mileage. The lowest I have gotten is 31 MPG, and that was on the first tank of gas from the dealership. Since then it has averaged 34 - 36 MPG, depending on how much highway driving is included. I know people who have bought Hybrid vehicles (Civic and Prius) who don't get that much better mileage (40 - 45 MPG) to justify the higher price. My Matrix was under $17K OTD. The car has no squeaks or rattles and feels like it will hold up well for the next 10 years.

Smooth Ride Comfortable Seats Good Gas Mileage Excellent Value for the Price

More power would be nice, but price would be higher and MPG less.

matrix
By tony

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has a great design, very well thought out designs by Toyota like the anchors in the back. Seats sit up pretty high so it give you a good view of the road and of course the build quality of this car is outstanding.

Stereo, dash colors, and load capacity

Stronger engine, maybe a hybrid, and maybe softer plastics in the cargo area.

SUV's Step Aside!
By Jim thomson

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchased a 2005 Matrix XR with option package #2 in silver streak. All I can say is WOW! This car is unbelievably stylish, sophisticated, sporty and practical. The ride is smooth and the XR provides plenty of horsepower with relative ease for my long commutes and city driving. Who would think you could have your cake and est it too in a car? I do and I love it! Mileage is super! Toyota has a solid "10" on this one. Check it out... you'll never drive a suv again (unless you have nothing else to do with your gas money)!

I like the many little storage areas for the driver and the electrical outlets are handy and convenient. The stereo rocks and is crystal clear. The matrix is smooth and handles with ease.

There is little to complain with the Matrix XR. I only find the wind a bit noisy when I have the drivers window completely down.

Only one complaint
By Ralz

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a GMC Suburban and wanted a "big" car - its height and spacious interior are great and there is a lot of storage room especially with the seats folded down. even very tall passengers are comfortable in the back seat. it gave me zero trouble during the worst snowstorms of our Canadian winters and actually surprised me by how well it handled snowstorm-highway- driving. only complaint is LOTS of noise when driving at high speeds on the highway. so noisy that passengers in the back cannot hear a word of the conversation going on in the front seats.

Simple dials, comfortable and easy to drive, high seats and high roof made it easier to transition to from a truck. surprising amount of items can be stored in the back. Sunroof/foglights package was well worth the money.

The highway noise is very problematic but it is the only complaint I have had with this car in the six months I've had it.

Toyota Matrix is WOW
By whgille

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Since the day I bought this car it has been a pleasure and from now on I will only purchase a Toyota. There is a ton of room for cargo when you fold down the rear seats. The tie down features of the cargo area insures that nothing will be moving while you are driving. The operation controls are all easily reached and with the automated features you do not even have to remember to turn on or off your headlights. I think that the Matrix is a good mix of styling and functionality.

My favorite features are the sunroof, the automated headlight detection, the CD changer, and the tie down features of the cargo area.

The only suggestion I have for improvement is to reduce the in car road noise. On some pavement types this noise level is annoying. I guess I just have to play the stereo louder.