Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

matrix
By tony

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has a great design, very well thought out designs by Toyota like the anchors in the back. Seats sit up pretty high so it give you a good view of the road and of course the build quality of this car is outstanding.

Favorite Features

Stereo, dash colors, and load capacity

Suggested Improvements

Stronger engine, maybe a hybrid, and maybe softer plastics in the cargo area.

SUV's Step Aside!
By Jim thomson

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchased a 2005 Matrix XR with option package #2 in silver streak. All I can say is WOW! This car is unbelievably stylish, sophisticated, sporty and practical. The ride is smooth and the XR provides plenty of horsepower with relative ease for my long commutes and city driving. Who would think you could have your cake and est it too in a car? I do and I love it! Mileage is super! Toyota has a solid "10" on this one. Check it out... you'll never drive a suv again (unless you have nothing else to do with your gas money)!

Favorite Features

I like the many little storage areas for the driver and the electrical outlets are handy and convenient. The stereo rocks and is crystal clear. The matrix is smooth and handles with ease.

Suggested Improvements

There is little to complain with the Matrix XR. I only find the wind a bit noisy when I have the drivers window completely down.

Only one complaint
By Ralz

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a GMC Suburban and wanted a "big" car - its height and spacious interior are great and there is a lot of storage room especially with the seats folded down. even very tall passengers are comfortable in the back seat. it gave me zero trouble during the worst snowstorms of our Canadian winters and actually surprised me by how well it handled snowstorm-highway- driving. only complaint is LOTS of noise when driving at high speeds on the highway. so noisy that passengers in the back cannot hear a word of the conversation going on in the front seats.

Favorite Features

Simple dials, comfortable and easy to drive, high seats and high roof made it easier to transition to from a truck. surprising amount of items can be stored in the back. Sunroof/foglights package was well worth the money.

Suggested Improvements

The highway noise is very problematic but it is the only complaint I have had with this car in the six months I've had it.

Toyota Matrix is WOW
By whgille

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Since the day I bought this car it has been a pleasure and from now on I will only purchase a Toyota. There is a ton of room for cargo when you fold down the rear seats. The tie down features of the cargo area insures that nothing will be moving while you are driving. The operation controls are all easily reached and with the automated features you do not even have to remember to turn on or off your headlights. I think that the Matrix is a good mix of styling and functionality.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the sunroof, the automated headlight detection, the CD changer, and the tie down features of the cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

The only suggestion I have for improvement is to reduce the in car road noise. On some pavement types this noise level is annoying. I guess I just have to play the stereo louder.

bummed out
By katie renfro

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The drivers seat is the worst I've ever had. No electric seats are available. No leather is available. Extremely uncomfortable. I guess I will have to rent a car when I take a vacation. The interior is cheap with plastic made to look like cow hide. I feel stiff and confined in this vehicle. Not much pick up power when trying to yield into interstate traffic. Headrests block view when backing up or changing into right lanes.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats, hatchback and hatchback window opens, Toyota name and dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Make a comfortable, electric, leather drivers seat, and armrests for drivers right arm and passengers left arm.