Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Fun Car/ Reasonable Price
By Robert Smith

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a Radiant Red Toyota Matrix with a good sound system, sunroof, alloy wheels, sunroof, and even had the Toyota wheels chromed after added a limo tint to the windows. Added a personalized license and made the car 'fun to look at', and made it an eye catching vehicle around $20,000.00. People stop me in the parking lot to ask me about it, and the higher roof makes it roomy for a driver over 6 feet tall. So far, the car has been reliable and fun and I like it very much. I had a 300 HP V8 engine before this car, so the power is a bit slow, but I'm used to that and appreciate the mileage at the gas station. I highly recommend the Matrix. It's FUN.

Sound System, roomy interior, catchy styling.

very fun car
By smo302

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2002 Nissan XTerra for this cars so I went from 14 mpg to 32 mpg. I love it. I drive 250 mi a week to work so I need great mpg, but to get a fun car that definitely can move out of its own way is great. Thinking about purchasing the supercharger from TRD. This will give it the same power as the XRS model for about the same price. Otherwise I am very pleased at the power above 4000 rpm for a little 4-cylinder engine. We shall see what winter brings without a 4 wheel drive anymore it will be interesting.

The interior, the dashboard is very sport like, black and silver with the chrome covers, the handling, I purposely take certain roads home on different days for the joy of driving this car hard through some great winding back roads.

I have no recommendations for improvements, maybe the XRS model would take care of them anyway. I may just have to test drive it to compare it to my XR model. See if there is much difference besides the power, which the added supercharger will cure anyway.

Silver beautiful
By TONY23

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Matrix is an owner's delight to own. It handles great, fuel mileage is wonderful, my wife just won't let me have it. Guess I gotta get another one lol. Great job Toyota. Highly recommend this car for anyone on the car market looking for room and fun.

Great handling, super fuel mileage.

Just a tad more horse power. But yet again Matrix isn't build for speed.

Better than an SUV!
By Nancy

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great compromise car for those of us who need a roomy interior & 4 wheel drive but don't want the size of a gas guzzling SUV.

Very roomy, great for transporting my German Shepherd dog! Good handling.

Redesign the control dial for air distribution. The dial is up for the floor vent & down for the windshield vent! Needs more horsepower.

Everything I Expected
By JohnC19

2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2005 Matrix XR 5-speed for 4 months and so far have nothing but good things to say about the car. My Matrix is fun to drive, has very comfortable and supportive seats, lots of passenger room, and gets very good gas mileage. The lowest I have gotten is 31 MPG, and that was on the first tank of gas from the dealership. Since then it has averaged 34 - 36 MPG, depending on how much highway driving is included. I know people who have bought Hybrid vehicles (Civic and Prius) who don't get that much better mileage (40 - 45 MPG) to justify the higher price. My Matrix was under $17K OTD. The car has no squeaks or rattles and feels like it will hold up well for the next 10 years.

Smooth Ride Comfortable Seats Good Gas Mileage Excellent Value for the Price

More power would be nice, but price would be higher and MPG less.