2005 Toyota Matrix Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sort Reviews by

old blue
By hamilton

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

this car is fun to drive,great MPG. it's kinda slugish on the pick up but i wanted a car thats gonna last for at least 10 yrs. i just bought it the other day but i owned a toyota celica 91 and i put well over 100K on that car & never a problem and i have faith in this one too.

Favorite Features

i love the way the seats are built and compartments everywhere...

Suggested Improvements

could use a standard 160 hp engine. and at least standard power locks

Magnificant Matrix
By buddyl030

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

With the rear seats down its a cargo van. Seats 4 comfortably but taxes the engine somewhat. I am averaging 33-34 mpg. With the gear shifter in the park position the heater/ac/fan switches are hard to access. Handles like a sports car. Corners flat and precise.

Favorite Features

Looks. Fog lights (that really work). Large tires absorb some of the shock. The dash lights are real ez on the eyes and the dash is highly visible even in sunny conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat could use a few more positions. Center console is too far back to comfortably rest right arm. If you fail to buckle seat belts the alarm is obnoxious.

My little car.
By Marge McCulloch

2005 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My car is just the car for northern Michigan. I live off the main road about 589 feet and to get to the hwy I have to drive up a pretty good grade. The 4 wheel drive is just great amd gives me a sense of confort. I also like the way the seats fold down for storage and the cover piece that keeps things out of view. The controls are placed very conviently and are easy to use. All in all I really think it's a great car.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see the radio controls on the steering wheel.

my baby
By yankeezbaby24

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

i luv this car..its my very first car and its awesome.....i loved toyota ever since my dad had his toyota...

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

more horsepower

best compromise
By to work and back

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Vechile purchased to meet mileage, saftey and poor road conditions( rain/snow). Driver comfort a plus due to long commute. Interior space very good for both front and rear seat passengers. Interior space accomodations for items very good due to flat fold seats and deck material. Standard features and xr option packages left little to be desired.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, interior space and long list of standard items.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted or hi-lited moon roof controls and glow in dark illumonation for driver stalk controls. Can not see windsild wiper or cruise control stalks at nite.

clutch
By Roz

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

needed a new clutch early.

GREAT Car! Fun, Sporty & not too pricey
By crystalc

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought this car, but I LOVE it already! This car is awesome. I love the way it looks. It's stylish, fun to drive, and pretty affordable. The Matrix offers a lot of interior room despite it's "small-car" status. I love that I sit up higher on the road than some other cars. The windshield is very wide, so I can see the road better. The car isn't "small", but it's not intimidatingly huge either. It's just perfect for me. Acceleration is nice, and the ride is pretty smooth. The cargo space inside is really roomy and great for those who like to carry cargo/tow a lot of stuff. The seats are actually more comfy than I would have imagined. Overall...GREAT car!

Favorite Features

I LOVE the interior look of the car. It's very modern and "techy" looking. The stereo isn't bad at all. Love the way the car handles, and I like the steering wheel. Since I like to be "different" I like the unconventional exterior look of the Matrix. It's very futuristic, and easy on gas.

Suggested Improvements

No real improvements needed yet. So far I love it. If I had to choose one thing, maybe I'd say the stand-still acceleration. I'm not sure what the 0-60mph/second rate is. Maybe my car is too new to really be gunning the engine. Either way, this is not problem for me.

Awesome
By Elphaba

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. I just replaced my 90 Corolla with the Matrix, and I am so impressed with this ride. It's so high and comfortable and has plenty of pep.

Favorite Features

Sitting up high, the seat that adjusts upwards. The 115 volt power plug, the storage

Suggested Improvements

Better availablity. I had a hard time getting my car!

Vroooooom
By Dreikalina

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this in June of 2004. Get about 28 MPG in the city. Has nice grab on the road. Nice tight corners. Back seat is roomy. Love the fold down seats (including passenger front seat.) Sometimes the front passenger seatbelt has to be buckled to prevent the beeping-alarm from going off, if I have a package on the seat. For some reason when I locked myself out of the car, Toyota said they didn't cover the locksmith to unlock me, and after debating it with them for 10 minutes, they discovered they were wrong. Blamed it on the computer system not being accurate. That was fustrating. But it is a reliable car with good gas mileage. I'd buy it again.

Favorite Features

Its looks, its handling, good gas mileage, cool guages, headlights work automatically.

Suggested Improvements

The interior manual lights in the car are not condusive for the driver/ passenger to read a map because of their placement on the rear view mirror. Vanity mirrors should light up for night time use. Rear view wiper should have a wider swipe.

Not Your Momma's Station Wagon
By thirtysomething

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We were shopping for a car that could hual 2 adults and 2 babies with all their gear and still be fun for under 25k. This is it. Forget reviews that suggested sticking to the XR - its fun to rev a car up to nearly 8 grand on the tach. Open the moonroof, turn up the great sounding JBL soundsystem with 6 speakers + subwoofer and let it scream. We needed practicality, we wanted fun, the XRS delivers both. Still a safe car - front and side airbags, ABS and the best brakes I've ever stomped on. Comfy seats, roomy all over for a vehicle in its price range. Drive it and smile.