Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Most Helpful|
Versatile
By Watercooled

2005 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Very versatile car. Great ride. Range is a bit on the low side. Has enough power for city driving and merging with traffic. Have yet to take it on a long roadtrip with a load of luggage, kids, bikes on the back, and the A/C running while that 18 wheeler is running up behind me...

Favorite Features

Great car for commute/kids/moving/tailgating. Enough room in backseat for adults or kids. Nice that hatch window opens. Has 2 cup-holders in the backseat (as opposed to Civic and Golf's 1) which is really important if you have more than 1 child.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower, but is peppy for city driving. Larger gas tank would be nice. Mileage is great 27-31 mpg, but with AWD model, the gas tank is smaller and the range averages 300-320 miles. Feels like I'm filling up the tank twice a week due to the length of my commute. Lights on sun-roof controls.

Downsize
By Lamar Winters

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having driven this car for only the best part of a week I must say that I am impressed, despite the "expert" evaluations. Just coming off a Lexus RX330 I had no big expectations but needed to down size and I am a big Toyota fan. I really enjoy the driving experience and my height(5'10") and arm length adapt to the driving position nicely. I don't have a problem with the engine performance because for me it's a change in driving style and a willingness to adapt. Road noise is not all that bad and all this fuss about engine noise I don't get at all. I drove the AWD car initially but did not like the color or performance and was please when I drove away in the FWD, Shadow Mica ... cool!!

Favorite Features

The folding seat scheme is very handy. I also really like to 115V outlet for my laptop. It's great to have a rear latch opener on the remote. Of course my favorite feature is the $$ sign that shows up on the pump when I fill up.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the spoilers. Put a auto dim rear view mirror in the QP2 package along with dimming for the side mirrors as well. Those features I really miss on the Lexus. Get rid of the crome trim around the gauges, it's distracting but closing the hatch on the sunroof helps. A DC outlet in the rear.

Toyota Quality?
By Keith

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Issues: 1)Noisey front end. Dealer says it's the tires (Continentals) and won't do anything about it. 2)Needed a serpentine belt at 12,500 miles. Why? 3)You have to sit on the passenger seat to move it. 4)Auto locks will automatically relock 30 seconds after you hit the button. 5)Driver side window broke at 11,000. Took the dealer 2 trys to fix it. 6)Auto Transmission is "iffy" coming down hills. 7)Rear windshield wiper is noisey even if it's new. (And a new one costs 20 bucks) 8)Spoilers are too low to the ground. Every matrix XR I have seen in parking lots have theirs broked right in front of rear wheels (they bottom out over speed bumps.)

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great. Looks Cool. The color of mine is Great (Gray Pearl) Dark enough to be neat, but not too dark to show dirt. Tight turning raius. For a small car it's back seat is big. Fits rear facing car seat well.

Suggested Improvements

-Better tires, or higher quality control in suspension manufacture. Seems very tinny. -closer attention to quality...see issues. Toyota is suppose to be the best and it seems to be lacking in this model.

Beware of this!!!
By Beware

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I have been through 9 cars and we bought and paid off this vehicle in full because we like that it was a Toyota (great reputation in quality and durability) it was a four door and had great space and very attractive and sporty look. Unfortunately we've had the worst experience ever out of 9 cars!!! It only has 15,000 miles and I've been in the service deptarment more than I ever did for all my cars combined!!! To all who are looking into this car be aware that some matrix have been know to have a "long-crank" problem (mine is one of them). Sometimes it won't even start and I have to keep trying to start it with the key until it finally does. Very scary especially for a mom!

Favorite Features

I love the looks, economy, and space dispite its compact look.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota, PLEASE, get this "long-crank" problem fixed before someone really does get stranded.

why toyota why
By ctmatrix

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota 5 speed matrix owner--- this car is a great care and i will miss her.This toyota is going on her second transmission at 160k, one trans came with the car the second one came from toyata parts dept new. Toyota says no know problems with 5/speed they must not look online,or why do they stock so many in the wharehouse if there is no problem. I can see clutch problems from many driving styles but the trans imploding and the clutch and p plate and throwout bearing are still fine. Toyota you are on your way to being GM---we do not know anything about your problem. The matrix is a great car buy the automatic-- Toyata will not stand behind the 5/speed Car will go 300k or 3 5/speeds why

Favorite Features

Great car-- everything

Suggested Improvements

Build a 5 speed that will not blow-up Stand behind your product