Used 2005 Toyota Matrix XR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Great car, all around!
By CKP

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I downsized from a Ford F150 Super Cab, and haven't missed it. My fuel bills have been cut by 2/3. I'm 6'4" and surprisingly fit very comfortably, even with our family of 5 in the car. It's a lot of fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission.

Favorite Features

The seating; it has the feel of an SUV. Great handling, with good ground clearance, and no trouble passing at highway speeds in this 1.8L with 5 speed manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Sleek styling is very cool, but it takes a little getting used to looking out the rear. The windows are very high and slim. Highway mileage is more like 30-32 MPG verse the advertised 36 at 80 MPH freeway speeds. However, the 30 MPG city is easy to attain by keeping the RPMs below 3000.

Made a great choice.
By ADD

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my Jeep Liberty for the Matrix over the summer due to rising gas prices. I didn't want to lose the cargo space I had with the Jeep. I made a great choice. I've been able to haul quite a bit with my Matrix. It has been the perfect substitute for an SUV without the high cost of gas. I'm surprised more SUV owners aren't switching to these as an alternative. I can see myself keeping this car for a long time. It's easy to drive and I've saved quite a bit of money on gas.

Favorite Features

I love that the back seats fold down flat. I also like the sporty look it has. I've gotten quite a few complements on it. The cargo net has actually been a good feature. It holds drinks pretty securly and keeps them from sliding around.

Suggested Improvements

The paint chipped easily on the door edges so I had to add edge gards. I wasn't really thrilled with the back "cover" that hides things in the rear cargo area. It's a bit flimsy.

The Best of Toyota
By Z-MAN

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car is worth every penny... and that isn't much to pay. The quality of Toyota is everywhere within this car. The gas mileage is great, it looks great, and performs the same way with the Toyota dependability. It is roomy enough for family travel, great leg room! Load it up and go. Whether you're going around town or on a long trip, you cannot go wrong with this vehicle. I now know what my next vehicle is going to be!

I LOVE THIS CAR
By Michelle

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After a serious accident my Toyota Camry, I decided that I had to go with another Toyota. My decision was the best decision I ever made. I love this car. It is stylish yet reliable. It is sporty yet versatile. I am extremely happy. Good Job Toyota with the Matrix.

Favorite Features

The sporty look and stylish interior. The kids love it yet is is versitile in every way. I love the dash and the split fold. The 115 volt outlet is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Gas Gas. I dont know about anyone else...but the gas mileage does not seem that great.

Super Cool
By JW

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix feels like an SUV, but it is very low to the ground so there's a low risk of rolling over. It looks very sporty and feels very nice to drive. It is, afterall, a Toyota-- what more could one ask for?

Favorite Features

Side Airbags

Suggested Improvements

Make a Hybrid Matrix so the 28/34 MPG fuel economy will be even better.