2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Great car, all around!
By CKP on 10/30/05 23:10 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I downsized from a Ford F150 Super Cab, and haven't missed it. My fuel bills have been cut by 2/3. I'm 6'4" and surprisingly fit very comfortably, even with our family of 5 in the car. It's a lot of fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission.

Made a great choice.
By ADD on 10/27/05 21:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my Jeep Liberty for the Matrix over the summer due to rising gas prices. I didn't want to lose the cargo space I had with the Jeep. I made a great choice. I've been able to haul quite a bit with my Matrix. It has been the perfect substitute for an SUV without the high cost of gas. I'm surprised more SUV owners aren't switching to these as an alternative. I can see myself keeping this car for a long time. It's easy to drive and I've saved quite a bit of money on gas.

The Best of Toyota
By Z-MAN on 10/27/05 13:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car is worth every penny... and that isn't much to pay. The quality of Toyota is everywhere within this car. The gas mileage is great, it looks great, and performs the same way with the Toyota dependability. It is roomy enough for family travel, great leg room! Load it up and go. Whether you're going around town or on a long trip, you cannot go wrong with this vehicle. I now know what my next vehicle is going to be!

I LOVE THIS CAR
By Michelle on 10/13/05 16:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After a serious accident my Toyota Camry, I decided that I had to go with another Toyota. My decision was the best decision I ever made. I love this car. It is stylish yet reliable. It is sporty yet versatile. I am extremely happy. Good Job Toyota with the Matrix.

Super Cool
By JW on 09/26/05 23:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix feels like an SUV, but it is very low to the ground so there's a low risk of rolling over. It looks very sporty and feels very nice to drive. It is, afterall, a Toyota-- what more could one ask for?

Downsize
By Lamar Winters on 09/23/05 09:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having driven this car for only the best part of a week I must say that I am impressed, despite the "expert" evaluations. Just coming off a Lexus RX330 I had no big expectations but needed to down size and I am a big Toyota fan. I really enjoy the driving experience and my height(5'10") and arm length adapt to the driving position nicely. I don't have a problem with the engine performance because for me it's a change in driving style and a willingness to adapt. Road noise is not all that bad and all this fuss about engine noise I don't get at all. I drove the AWD car initially but did not like the color or performance and was please when I drove away in the FWD, Shadow Mica ... cool!!

Too much fun (causing some guilty)
By Don Huffman on 09/05/05 19:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Style finally grew on me (been looking at it for 3 years)- I was waiting for a Corolla station wagon - to no avail. I love the tight handling. Love the access to the controls. Very accessible for passengers and cargo (love the small liftback door). Well accessorized. Red instruments are difficult to read (I am a little color blind).

love It
By XRauto on 09/04/05 21:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Overall this is a great car. I would buy another in an instant. I would suggest a few changes to toyota but other wise they got it dead on right.

Happy to be downsized!
By COZigs on 08/22/05 19:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. We downsized from a Grand Caravan (talk about a lemon!!) and had the requirements of high gas mileage and serious reliability with enough cargo room to carry a labrador... this car fits the bill for sure! Two months later and I love it. It handles well (helped me lose the minivan-mom image), has gotten 29 mpg the last two tanks (combined driving but mostly city) and with the Toyota name on the back I know it will satisfy my need to not dump money into expensive repairs. The cargo area is all plastic, which works great with the dog and my husband wishes he could pull the super-comfy seats out of my Matrix for his Scion XB.

new owner
By NLS on 08/15/05 21:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Love how it handles, and how it looks! It is so much fun to drive you forget its a sensible car! And with seats folded down, it holds a lot!!