2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
why toyota why
By ctmatrix on 04/12/12 17:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota 5 speed matrix owner--- this car is a great care and i will miss her.This toyota is going on her second transmission at 160k, one trans came with the car the second one came from toyata parts dept new. Toyota says no know problems with 5/speed they must not look online,or why do they stock so many in the wharehouse if there is no problem. I can see clutch problems from many driving styles but the trans imploding and the clutch and p plate and throwout bearing are still fine. Toyota you are on your way to being GM---we do not know anything about your problem. The matrix is a great car buy the automatic-- Toyata will not stand behind the 5/speed Car will go 300k or 3 5/speeds why

2005 toyota matrix ( caa)
By clay adams on 04/25/08 21:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Interior road noise, brakes squeak, brake pads wear out. Outside mirrors are a little too small. Seats are a little too low sitting

Biggest Little Car in Town!
By fb on 05/07/07 11:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Terrific car. I've fit sheet rock and lumber, furniture, and my critters (3 dogs and 2 cats) in this car with plenty of room to spare.

Awesome Car
By mumbulo on 01/16/07 05:38 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great. I love being able to fold down the seats (I think my Matrix actually fits more than my pick-up truck bed). The car is comfortable, great fuel economy and very roomy for a car of its size. The only real complaint that I have is that the tires that Toyota puts on are crap (noisy, very slippery in inclement conditions, and are already cracking with 26,000 miles on the car) but that should be remedied when we replace them. Great car, great value, would definitely recommend.

Not What I Expected
By Dissapointed on 12/27/06 20:23 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle replaced a 2005 Toyota Corolla, The Corolla was nearly a perfect vehicle. The Matrix isn't even close to the quality or integrity of the Corolla. The interior plastic is of very poor quality and appearance. The gas mileage as far, far less than the Corolla. It's hard to believe the Matrix is a Toyota. I am not at all pleased with the Matrix. This vehicle has caused me to substantially lower my opinion of Toyota.

Small car with big feel
By ckp on 12/20/06 17:16 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to save money on gas over my F-150 4x4. The mileage is great at between 29-32 MPG city driving back and forth to work. I'm 6'5" and am amazed at how comfortably I fit into it. It's a very reliable car, in 18 months, I have had no problems. I change the oil and put gas in it. The interior is awesome with multiple seat configurations when I need space. The outlet in the dash is cool, as are all of the other features I have (premium sound, 17" wheels, sun roof, cruise and A/C). With the 5 speed, it runs very well (not a race car), to include highway traffic with the A/C on - no problems!

Mainly happy
By GMcGuire on 11/10/06 21:09 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've been mainly happy, when you treat the thing like a motorcycle and bang off the redline at 6,000 rpm in 1st thru 3rd it works not too badly. Engine slow idle is a bit lumpy, and it lacks a bit of power with the a/c on. Absolutely must have 4 good snow tires installed, it's very light and it steps around quite a bit even on wet pavement. Great gas mileage, lots of room and functionality.

The Matrix
By csmatrix on 10/09/06 12:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Matrix for almost 2 years and so far it has been a great car but not without faults. The car is a tad underpowered and not as trouble free as I would expect from Toyota but its not bad either. And the suspension needs some improvement because it is very bouncy over bumps, but it handles very well. The interior is the Matrix best feature by far.

Fantastic!
By foxxy1 on 10/08/06 21:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought the car yesterday and I love it. It's very roomy; big enough to fit my 6"4 father and two small nephews. The handling is great and the gas mileage is so far so good! A very pleasant surprise! Highly recommend!

Toyota Quality?
By Keith on 09/14/06 18:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Issues: 1)Noisey front end. Dealer says it's the tires (Continentals) and won't do anything about it. 2)Needed a serpentine belt at 12,500 miles. Why? 3)You have to sit on the passenger seat to move it. 4)Auto locks will automatically relock 30 seconds after you hit the button. 5)Driver side window broke at 11,000. Took the dealer 2 trys to fix it. 6)Auto Transmission is "iffy" coming down hills. 7)Rear windshield wiper is noisey even if it's new. (And a new one costs 20 bucks) 8)Spoilers are too low to the ground. Every matrix XR I have seen in parking lots have theirs broked right in front of rear wheels (they bottom out over speed bumps.)