Used 2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Great Small Wagon
By George

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just turn in my leased Matrix, and it has been a great small car for me at the time when I lease it. It has a lot of room when the back seat and the front Pass. seat are all folded down to help me move. Great little city car. It was avg. for gas 33MPG traveling to and from work. Only one thing happened, the front right shock was bad when the car was first new and that was quickly replaced for free. No other trouble with the car. I just follow the book when to do all the services.

Favorite Features

The Great 33MPG! With an Automatic Trans! All the fold down seats. Easy on the wallet to drive!

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power in the engine. But with more power, less MPG. It is a give and take.

I'm going to drive this into the ground
By Brian Hoeft

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I would still purchase this car. The only complaint that I have ever heard of for this car is the road and engine noise. I only heard that comment about a year after I purchased it and didn't honestly notice it until then although now I do. A+ for breaking ability. B for acceleration. A+ for forard view. C for rear viewing ability.

Matrix is a great car
By MLA

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I highly recommend the Toyota Matrix. I've had mine almost 18 months and have enjoyed the experience. The Matrix has typical Toyota reliability, but it's roominess and build allow you to use it for hauling many things or just taking lots of luggage on vacation.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission, power, reliability, roominess, stereo system

Suggested Improvements

Standard luggage rack, moonroof option

2004 Toyota Matrix XR AWD
By Lisa White

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The car is very reliable and fun to drive. It took a while to get used to the seats since they sit very high. I do have 2 complaints; as trivial as they are, the latch on the compartment at the base of the gear box won't stay closed and the slightest bump in the road pops it open or it falls off completely. Second, when the windows dew up from the outside, you can generally roll your windows down and it would squeegee it off. Not with my Matrix; I have to stop the car and get out and wipe off the side windows so I can see; otherwise, I have to roll the windows down. Aside from that, I have no complaints and would recommend this car to anyone

Favorite Features

AWD (handles great in the snow and rain), 6-changer CD, sun roof, the fold down back seats and the latches where I can attach a bungee cord to secure my cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Heated side mirrors (a must). Fix the latch on the compartment at the base of the gear box. Longer sun visors.

Father loves it.
By Marti

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love this little car-I went from 90 s10 blazer to this veh. Great gas milage. I have hauled a double-size bed, lumber,dining room table,replacement windows-all stayed put thanks to tie downs. We also haul large dogs and they slide a bit-a rug held down with hook/loop tape solved this problem. My father made fun of this little car, til he drove it. He is now trading his 05 Ford for a 06 Matrix.

Favorite Features

cargo tie downs.