Used 2004 Toyota Matrix XR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

"Oh what a feeling"
By 1funnykat

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm on the road alot. I was driving a Dodge Ram 1500 4wd lifted w/36' tires.That got 12 gallons to the mile. I needed something economical but with flare and style. There is no way I was going to drive something wqithout style. the Matrix is perfiect 4 me, its has style, great sound system and 43 mph.I bought the 5 speed 4 fun and it is.

Favorite Features

Great stereo! i love the style of the XR with the air dam. I love the rear hatch back, way cooool. Its comfortable and the gauge cluster is fun.

Suggested Improvements

All new cars should come with floor mats. Thats it!

2004 Matrix is my Best Buy choice
By Will

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After one year of owning this car, I can only say that my love for it has grown stronger. From the comfort, to the styling, performance and utility, this car excels in every aspect. Every time someone rides with me, they always say, "that's so cool!" or, "wow, I did not know a car so cheap would have so many features!". This is the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

My favorite features would have to be the in-dash 6 disc CD changer, the 110 volt power outlet and the multiple storage bins .

Suggested Improvements

My only gripes about the car were that there was a rattle in the moon roof, and the storage box in the shifter oped on its own. Both problems were easily fixed under warranty at my local dealer.

Great Car!
By onehipteacher

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my matrix in August of 2003 when they were putting out the new 2004 models. I have loved my matrix since. It is great on gas and the look. When I first bought it, strangers on the street would look at the car and give me a thumbs up. I love the versatility of the seats. I have fit grown palm trees, a patio set, pool table, and other large items in my matrix with all the doors closed. You can't beat the quality of a Toyota. It has been almost 5 years with my car and no problems. I am thinking about trading it in for a bigger vehicle , but I don't think I can't. I love this car!

Favorite Features

I love the versatility of the seats, the child seat anchors in the back, 6 cd stereo system, the look of the gages, and the great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

better air conditioning for the back seat passengers because the vents are located in front and it does not circulate well.

Surprised by the poor quality of Toyota
By Angela

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first Toyota I've ever owned. My husband and I bought this car because we wanted a small, fuel-efficient car to get us around town with the capability of expanding cargo space when needed. Unfortunately, I have been sorely disappointed in some of the features of the car. Within the last two years, both rear door handles have completely broken. The replacement cost for each door handle is $200. The rigid metallic coating of the interior door handles has loosened and actually cut my fingers. Various other compartments (while clever and convenient) have broken or become loose. The bumper pops loose easily and can drag.

Favorite Features

The flexibility of cargo space. When the back seats and front passenger seat are folded flat, it has the convenience of a pick-up.

Suggested Improvements

luggage rack, improved quality of materials, better ground clearance

208,000, and still love it!
By mamccoy

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My goal is to make it past 300000 miles on this car. I bought it with 144k, and was told by the owner that he had the transmission rebuilt at 100k by Aamco (though they sometimes may stretch the truth with a vehicle's true repair needs). They said the Main drive bearing went out. I put in a new Catalytic converter around 145k, and i've been golden since then until now. It's time for more work on the tranny, but some are telling me its the clutch throw-out bearing (release bearing) and some tell me it's the same issue that this car had at 100k. Regardless, I have loved the car and wouldn't hesitate on getting another. As for now, I'll fix it and go another 100k, Lord willing!

Favorite Features

all the Space in the car, my Thule roof rack, 33mpg hwy (29+mpg avg), 208k miles and the engine runs great and the body is still pretty sound!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Transmission! People buy Manual Transmissions because they last longer, yet this one doesn't seem to!