2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Trixie the Matrix
By GreenMile on 09/17/05 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I replaced my Limited 4 runner with a more gas efficient Matrix. I thought I would hate at first but really it has all the space my 4 runner had and way better milage (33 mpg) on average. I have 25000 miles on it and have had no issues at all. I love driving this on my daily 100 mile roundtrip commute.

AWD Matrix aka "Snowball"
By Tom on 09/07/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car for my wife to use, since it was Super White, my daughter called it "Snowball". Its been fun to own and we realy like how functional it is. It parks and has the fuel economoy of a small sedan, (we get about 31 mpg on the highway a little less in the city), the capacity of a wagon and the AWD of a SUV. While the engine could use additional hp, I am willing to accept it for better fuel economy. While I wasn't too happy with the looks of the car, it does grow on you. After all, its kinda hard to go wrong with a Toyota!

I love my car!
By elf08 on 08/13/05 14:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've wanted a Matrix ever since they came out, and I got my wish this year!! It is everything I expected it to be, and I am very happy w/ it. It runs great, gets good gas mileage, it's adorable and it's so fun to drive. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the looks of it.

Slightly neurotic but great car/fun
By okmatrixxrs on 07/22/05 15:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Unbelievable gas mileage. Amazing power from such a small, naturally aspirated engine, and Toyota quality! Who could ask for anything more!

One Year with the AWD Matrix
By mick on 05/24/05 17:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have 15500 miles after one year with the 2004 AWD Matrix. No mechanical problems. I am located in the upper midwest so AWD in the winter is a big deal. Winter came and I had no problems. Summer time I have a boat so we are on the water and at the beach a lot. It is a great beach car. I average about 31 mpg on the highway and 21-24 mpg in town. For a 4-wheel drive, that is as good as it gets. Zippy and nimble in town. Comfortable on long trips. Needs more low-end tourque. Big hills can be an issue.

Good car from Toyota
By turkf26 on 04/30/05 12:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

All in all the Toyota matrix is a great car to drive. Couple things I dislike is the lack of power in the XR and base models. Also it seems that everything inside the car squeaks or rattles when you drive. Other than that, itís a great car made by another great company.

2004 Matrix is my Best Buy choice
By Will on 03/28/05 20:14 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After one year of owning this car, I can only say that my love for it has grown stronger. From the comfort, to the styling, performance and utility, this car excels in every aspect. Every time someone rides with me, they always say, "that's so cool!" or, "wow, I did not know a car so cheap would have so many features!". This is the best car I have ever owned.

Good at First - Not happy now
By Bill on 03/11/05 00:49 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car was great for a year, then the heat mixer dial broke, dealer fixed, then I push the 4 way button and it falls into the dash, ok, dealer fixed, lately the car has a bad idle vibration and engine stumbles at stops, dealer said this is how this engine runs, paint scratches easy and it's starting to rattle in thedash, I don't think toyota quality is all that great. Don't go with this one, wont buy toyota again, I'll trade it for a Mazda. Oh the door under the stick keeps popping open like a jack in the box. Don't think this car will last.

The Night Special
By Night on 01/10/05 02:21 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very good car, Very trust worthy. Not that expensive. Drives very smooth. Very roomy too.

toyota matrix
By jimcaringi on 01/02/05 20:41 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I find the 2004 matrix XR with auto trans a very sporty, attention getting vehicle. I bought it used with 6000 miles on it and have driven it in city and Highway modes. The only problem I had was a persistent "buzz" like rattle from under the left side of the dashboard. My selected Toyota dealer repaired it under warranty. It has ample power, though somewhat noisy engine on hard acceleration. The seats are comfortable and the driving position is ok as well. I highly recommend the vehicle.