2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews 4

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

XR Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
I love this car!
By dmbjork on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm not a car person and didn't really care so much what I bought as long as it was big enough, reliable and got good gas mileage. I went with the Matrix and the longer I own it and drive it, the more I love it. The only thing I don't like about mine is that it's black. I looks really nice when just cleaned, but boy, does it look bad when it's dirty! I'll never buy a black car again.

I GOTTA HAND IT TO "YOTA"
By DavyD from Cali on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Matix XR since Dec,03. I've had absolutly no issues with this car Windows are blacked out for the most part and I've had the dealership TRD kitted (lowering springs) for warranty purposes, MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE folks when headin down the highway or drivin in SF. Its made all the difference. Over all I love the car its been a blessing to me, specially how I fell into it, wonderful deal and interest rate. I had buyers remorse at first, just very glad i didnt trade it in for something else. Peace Davy D

Fun but no sports car
By Lizard Queen on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very good utilitarian little car. Plenty of room to haul things, lots of cool features like the outlet on the dashboard, the plastic in the cargo area, etc. Good on gas and as it's a Toyota I expect it to be very reliable. But I was slightly disappointed in how it handles (is a bit mushy when cornering) and it is slightly underpowered and could use more "snap". Overall I'm happy with it, but if they could've made the engine and suspension perform like my old Acura Integra (sold at 12 years old to get this one) but ketp the amount of room of the Matrix I'd be in 7th heaven.

Get one RIGHT NOW!
By EmilyRugburn on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car! We got a great deal on it, too. It's so much fun to drive, and I love the fact that it's got a Corolla engine (dependable!). Yay I've been averaging gas mileage, and even though we've had it since Thanksgiving, the car has only been filled up 4 times! It averages about 32 MPG, and I do lots of city driving. I imagine the gas mileage would improve even more if I babied it on the road. I've been seeing more of them on the road. Gotta be that sporty style paired with the incredible sticker price!

2004 Matrix
By PennySavr on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2000 Solara (with poor access to trunk storage) for my very quick, extremely nimble, front wheel drive 2004 Matrix. I get 30-36MPG with it (5 speed manual), it's a real kick to drive, it maneuvers well, is fabulous in winter weather, and -- fully loaded including side air bags -- was less than $20,000. Great car! I love it!

Does almost everything quite well
By Abraham3 on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I like it, recommend it, would buy another. Matrix is 4-dr, Corolla hatchback . F seating is quite comfortable. Upright position gives good vis 'cept to rear where windows taper. No difficulty finding comfortable seating position (6'0" - leggy). R leg & seat room large for car this size. Long trips quite possible. Cargo volume and features excellent - 2 usable nets, tie-down rings and tie-down straps std. R deck hard ribbed plastic. 60/40 R seats fold flush & match deck. Will hold a stack of 8' 2x4s with hatch closed. The 1.8L, DOHC Corolla engine is nearly perfect - excellent power curve. Surprising acceleration. Five spd manual is excellent.

I LOVE MY MATRIX
By PLANTGIRL on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT CAR! I LOVE ALL THE SPACE AND THE WAY IT LOOKS. HONESTLY, THIS IS THE IDEAL CAR FOR ME...GREAT GAS MILEAGE, AFFORDABLE, SMALL CAR WITH LOTS OF SPACE. I COULDN'T HAVE ASKED FOR MORE!

Initial response
By NewMatrixOwner on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall an excellent vehicle. I upgraded from a 1987 Accord hatchback and this was the best match in terms of price, mileage, and utility (it is basically a larger, 4 door version of my previous car). In picking up my Matrix XR, however, I noticed the fog lamps didn't work - hence my build quality rating - it was easily fixed (need a fuse put in), but should not have been overlooked by Toyota (especially since they delayed my getting this car for a QC check). Also, try not to buy the "teflon coating" for the paint, just wash and wax it yourself. I will give an update in a couple months.

Fun and practical
By Matrix Reloaded on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles well and with the 5 speed manual has plenty of pep - it's a pleasure to drive. I really love the exterior styling. We have the XR in white and it looks really sharp. The car is very practical for light hauling jobs. With the hatchback access and rear seats folded flat it can carry a surprisingly large amount of cargo. I am getting about 30 mpg overall, not bad but I'm hoping for a bit better once it's fully broken in. I expect Toyota reliability (this is our 4th Toyota). Getting one configured the way we wanted it was frustrating, but worth the wait (see improvements).

Love it
By Greyhound Lover on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car that is fun to drive. The seats are molded to you and are very comfortable. Car has good pickup and is fun to drive. Quite roomy in back though I might make the cargo area cover easier to put no and take off.