2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Great Car!
By onehipteacher on 01/16/08 18:38 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my matrix in August of 2003 when they were putting out the new 2004 models. I have loved my matrix since. It is great on gas and the look. When I first bought it, strangers on the street would look at the car and give me a thumbs up. I love the versatility of the seats. I have fit grown palm trees, a patio set, pool table, and other large items in my matrix with all the doors closed. You can't beat the quality of a Toyota. It has been almost 5 years with my car and no problems. I am thinking about trading it in for a bigger vehicle , but I don't think I can't. I love this car!

2004 Matrix Owner is so so
By MatrixOwner2 on 12/22/07 04:08 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Sporty vehicle that we loved the look of. Great for short trips, errands, and hauling. Mileage good, but there is a paint issue with the hood that Toyota won't own up to (missing layers of paint after 2-years of ownership). Also, I agree the sound system is poor but what do you expect in this price range? Driver seat seems more comfy than passenger for long trips, uncomfortable for passenger. Basically a bit more attention to quality and they will perfect this model (maybe they have already). Bottle water holders in the door would be a great addition to this model. Nix the cheap backseat beverage holders.

Fourbanger Fun
By Chris R on 12/06/07 18:18 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love the XRS. I actually had a XR and it was a great car too, but I wanted something in a manual. This is a fast little car at approx. 4500 RPM. What is great you dont have to go that high and drive it economically. For a car that is fun, roomy, comfortable, decent MPG, and sporty. Look no further.

Ahh it's not so bad...depending on view
By Camp H on 12/02/07 20:57 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Peppy engine but very noisy, I have a 6 speed manual trans and it's very easy to shift. Radio rocks. Common complaint I read is road noise, that is true. Seats are comfortable. Views are good (rear window is small so that is limited) Only thing that needed to be fixed was serpentine belt had to be replaced & belt tensioner had to be replaced. Other than that the car is extremely reliable.

To Hawaii and Back
By Capt Glenn on 10/12/07 18:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We have shipped this car from VA to Hawaii and back. We have driven to CA and have enjoyed all the room and creature comforts of this CUV. We would recommend this to any small family. The AWD feature was a great safety comfort in the mountains, in the snow and on the beaches.

My Lucky Little Car
By Silverchild on 08/11/07 23:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had absolutely no interest in this car when I went car shopping. Now that I have it I could not be happier! The car is both fun to drive and reliable. I purchased it with 30,000 miles and have had no problems whatsoever despite the high mileage. The seats are comfortable and that's saying something with my awful back problems! The dash is beautiful and easy to read, the gear shift is set in a position that is both natural and comfortable, visibility is supreme with few blind spots and cargo room is fantastic. The back and passenger seats have hard plastic back covers for protection when toting large items, the passenger seat folds down as a table top and the car has 3 power plugs!!

Fun But Also a Pain
By Tanamoor on 04/10/07 16:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Pros: Good acceleration, great on trips. Comfortable inside, roomy for passengers, the seats lie flat, front passenger seat lies down - can carry long items. Has an AC outlet. I loved the 6 dsc CD changer and the moonroof. Nice looking exterior. The seat sits a little higher than most sedans and the shift lever is forward on the dash which is comfortable for me. Cons: gas pedal is very touchy. It is easy to stall out when starting from a standstill. Sometimes it has trouble going into 1st or 2nd gears. The engine is annoyingly loud. The "apron" or skirt deal under the front grill is very cheap and low to the ground so it gets scraped all the time.

Enter the Matrix
By tag on 02/13/07 09:15 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When the clutch system is at its best, the driving expericence is great. I like all the electronic hook up ports for my MP3, cell phone etc. The front control panel is easy to read and manipulate. The brake system is awesome.

Matrix
By Charles Moninger on 11/29/06 11:03 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving mine for almost 3 years now and I absolutely love it. Plenty of interior room, excellent reliability, good mileage, nice design -- what's not to love?

Great automobile
By matrix on 11/11/06 07:35 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car in all kinds of conditions with excellent results, great gas mileage and comfortable ride, good handling. Just a nice car.