2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Now we can fly
By tanya on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have never owned a better car. It's fun and classy.

Great car!
By TW on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A wonderful car. Had been driving 1/2 ton p/u trucks for yrs. I am amazed what I have hauled in this car. Never thought I would not miss my trucks but I don't. Handles great and great pick up too. Never loses speed on long grades. Very comfortable driving on trips.

Great car, great buy
By lovemymatrix on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We just bought a new Matrix XR, and we love it. It's fun to drive, and has lots of useful space. We also love the fuel economy. We ruled this car out at first because we thought it would be to small, but once we got in it, we knew it was the car for us.

Love the Matrix XR automatic
By Kay N Jay on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my new Matrix. After waiting several weeks for delivery, I like the car even better than I expected. The engine seems quieter than the test car was. The ride is very smooth, and my Matrix (with 17-inch wheels) handles turns nicely. Overall I am extremely pleased with the car.

I love my Matrix XR
By Cmarchal on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have absolutely fallen in love with my Matrix. It is so fun to drive and people are constantly stopping me to ask me questions about it. The gas mileage is wonderful and the insides are very sporty. The Matrix is a very fun and affordable car, where I can still haul things and don't have to compromise on the gas mileage.

Great Car!!
By charley on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Went on a 1,000 mile trip and loved it. The car handles great, got 38mpg with the cruise set at 74MPH. The car has plenty of power for my needs. Never lost speed on hills, the cruise maintained its setting. Plenty of interior space and fun to drive. The ride is quite comfortable and the cabin is quiet. After always having SUV's I am glad I made this switch.

New owner
By Hotspotter on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Don't bother with the paint protection package grab a bottle of Nu Finish and save yourself the cost. I would not recommend the AWD model unless you are in a northern climate where it can get a workout in the snow.

Cool Car
By lxg on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The car is cool. I love the look. Great headroom, easy to get in and out of, excellent fit and finish & lots of interior space. I recently drove my Matrix from Washington, DC to NYC thru rain storms. Nothing bothered this car and at 80mph with the a/c on the car got over 32mpg. With the 6 disc radio we did not run out of music. Excellent seats and plenty of room.

Nat bad for the money
By barlo on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very good car for the money. Handling is't bad. Good pick up with the 5 speed. Not bad looking inside and out. When the back seats are down, it has almost as much if not more cargo room than some mid sized SUV's. Plenty of passenger room in back seat. Their knees wont hit the back of the front seat. For the money and compared to whats out there. You wont find better. And its a Toyota.

Buckboard ride
By Robert F on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in this torchure chamber after one month of ownership because it had such a harsh suspension that it gave me back pain. I had the dealership check the suspension and then tried the higher profile softer ride tires my tire guy suggested with no significant benefit. To aggravate things,the driver's seat was pretty uncomfortable as well. Too bad because the car is the prefect size, in 2- wheel drive, it is amazing on ice and snow, and the engine even with auto, ran well in the Colorado mountains. What a bungle on an otherwise good design. The final straw came when I met another drive of the same car who was having the identical experience.