Used 2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Toyota Matrix
By Robin20

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This little car has been wonderful for me. I am an outside salesperson. I love the room. I love the mileage. And we have ffound it great for camping. Not real crazy about the plastic deck in the bck. We added padding so that cargo wouldn't slide so much. Other wise, I really like my Matrix.

Suggested Improvements

Padding in the rear deck, or carpet

Nice little car
By BoxerChamp

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Downsized from a full size SUV to the matrix. Lots of room in the back I love how the back seats fold back and leaves you with a large area for storage. The gas mileage is a plus too.

Favorite Features

Hard plastic backing on the back seats for a flush fitting.

Suggested Improvements

Make the back windshield wiper standard as it really needs it for safety.

Could be much better
By Barshel

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix does not live up to the thoughtful design and comfort of my previous Toyotas. Unfortunately, Toyota borrowed some of the worst GM features, such as the recessed gauges, trim, and radio. The front underbody spoilers are poorly designed and flimsy. One was ripped off by a tire tread on the freeway and they are constantly scraping small road obstacles or curbs. There is no low-end torque so you have to press heavy on the gas pedal to obtain decent acceleration, resulting in a noisy take off. I bought the car because I needed utility and wanted decent gas mileage (24-26 mpg, mixed driving). There’s potential here, but for now, Toyota missed the mark.

Favorite Features

By far, the utility, plastic-lined cargo bay, built-in tracks, flat fold- down seats, front seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Revamp the dashboard and gauges, extend the center console to the front dash, enable manual headlamp shut off, improve low-end torque, reduce acceleration noise level, redesign or remove underbody spoilers.

2004 Martix, So Far, A Great Deal
By Shell56

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After much research I purchased a 2004 Matrix,base model with the power package,I got it for under $15,000 before the TT&L.I have added mud guards and am going to get the windows tinted.So far I am very pleased with it.It is ideal for hauling stuff, has a sporty look, plenty of room for passengers and is economical to run.This is one vehicle I can say I have fallen in love with, it is a lot for the money.I read it had a noisy engine,which it does,and that the dash dials can be hard to read in the sun light and that was true also but overall it is ideal for my situation.

Favorite Features

Looks,plenty of hauling space,high drivers seat

Suggested Improvements

Quiet down the engine.

2 For the Road
By Cactus Buckeye

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought 2! 2000 4Runner lease up & air went out on 1993 Escort ~ had to get 2 vehicles. "Sacrifice" coming down from 4Runner, "Plus" coming up from Escort. Bottom line, a happy medium & long term - Toyota dependability.

Favorite Features

1 Cosmic Blue & 1 Lunar Mist & good window tints ~ sharp! Moonroofs make it, or in our case ~ sunroofs! Love the sporty dash. Surprisingly roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Downgrade from 4Runner! Lack of power, comfort, storage & goodbye smooth ride. Up from Escort, sweet! Would be perfect with a 2.4 liter engine & few tweeks here & there.