Used 2004 Toyota Matrix XR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Breaking in car - new discoveries
By pearlmomma

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought Matrix new. Have 21,000 mi on car today. Mostly city driving with occasional road trip. Beginning to see minor degradation on interior moving parts - the "cheap" is revealing itself. Out-of-control acceleration happened to me 2 times. The accelerator just slams to the floorboard and won't let up. The first time in 70+ mph traffic - the second time 45+ traffic. Terrified me. Panic! Had to yank emergency handle and turn car off. It is a real experience and the dealer can't explain. I think it's a defective chip in the master brain of some cars.

Great 6 CD player. Fun to drive for a grocery cart.

Windshield reflects dash. Weak A/C for size of interior. Loud road noise. Needs stock spoiler on rear for stability on highway/high wind. Lacks body integrity - cheap plastic parts.

Great Car!
By onehipteacher

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my matrix in August of 2003 when they were putting out the new 2004 models. I have loved my matrix since. It is great on gas and the look. When I first bought it, strangers on the street would look at the car and give me a thumbs up. I love the versatility of the seats. I have fit grown palm trees, a patio set, pool table, and other large items in my matrix with all the doors closed. You can't beat the quality of a Toyota. It has been almost 5 years with my car and no problems. I am thinking about trading it in for a bigger vehicle , but I don't think I can't. I love this car!

I love the versatility of the seats, the child seat anchors in the back, 6 cd stereo system, the look of the gages, and the great gas mileage!

better air conditioning for the back seat passengers because the vents are located in front and it does not circulate well.

Great automobile
By matrix

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car in all kinds of conditions with excellent results, great gas mileage and comfortable ride, good handling. Just a nice car.

Handling, gas mileage, looks.

None

An Extremely Sturdy Car
By Miguel Angel

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

'Trixes are bomb-proof! I'm the kind of driver who doesn't go particularly fast, but doesn't brake for anything, either. This car has taken three years of continous punishment: every corner taken at the traction limit, hundreds of handbrake turns, about three months of serious gravel driving, 8in deep potholes every day, many track days, being half-sunk in waste water (this is Mexico City, you know)... all without a glitch. Minor rattles in the dash, the standard battery lacks capacity, and that's it. A very capable little car when pushed (can consistently beat Megane RSs in the hands of a good driver), even with an auto transmission. Overall, a great car.

-Seriously sturdy and reliable. -Great cargo capacity. -Factory Bridgestone Turanza ER30s are very, very grippy (treadwear 140!), help set some great track times.

-Ergonomic design is awful. If you adjust the seating position so you can correctly hold the wheel, you'll get sore shins in seconds. Needs wheel reach adjustment, and lumbar support. -Engine is just a bit underpowered. Tuning it for 10 extra HP would do wonders. -Folding mirrors!

Perfect for needs and budget
By cali_isaac

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the perfect car for us. Great mileage (25-27 city, 32-37 hwy). This looks small on the outside but is laid out great very efficient and feels very roomy. This car hold TONS of stuff (4 adults, 3 day camping gear (firewood included), surfboards on top and bikes on the back) and still got 34+ mpg on the trip! The 110v plug is awesome, didn't need to buy a car charger for cell phone or iPod. The most car for the money, imo. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Owned for over 2 years now still runs like new.

Sunroof, roomy, 110v outlet, CD/tape player, sound, storage. Controls and instrumentation panel are laid out wonderfuly.

Fullsized spare tire, front ground effects are a little low to the ground (will scrape on ground in/out of steep driveways). Manual isn't as smooth as I thought it should be, not bad, but not the best. Would also like radio controls on steering wheel.