2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Best Toyota yet
By Dennis on 10/05/09 19:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new. No major problems, only had to replace a battery and the headlamps after 5 years! Comfort is excellent on long trips, have driven 1K miles a day in it on trips. Gas mileage is also excellent. At 63 MPH have obtained better than 36 MPG, did 38.1 MPG once, no complaints here. The AWD is an excellent advantage in extreme rain drenched roads and snow. Never have been able to spin the tires. I am using Michelin Hydroedge tires, the car really handles quite well. Just keep the required maintenance up and this car will last a long time.

Excellent car
By greg on 07/27/09 06:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new. It has not had any problems. We even pull a 10'X6' trailer around town three or four times a year. It has 106,000 miles on it. My kids have broken the back exterior door handles due to pulling down instead of just out (due to their height). Other than that - it is a great car and we consistently get 31 mpg. There is a funny noise it makes when it is 45 degrees or colder until it warms up.

Practical & Reliable/Lacks Fun Factor
By NewsJunkieLite on 05/26/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I like the Vibe's styling better, but I got the Matrix because of the yellow color. It's extremely practical, like an SUV w/o the bad gas mileage. I've fit a push mower and a old clunky stationary bike in the back with the seats folded down (not at the same time although that wouldn't be impossible). The gas mileage is good too; I've averaged 27-30 mpg depending on how hard I've driven. It doesn't bother me but if you're gonna get a yellow car be aware that bugs like yellow cars like they like streetlamps. Compared to other cars the A/C is quick to start cooling during the summer. My only issue with it is that it's not very fun to drive. Maybe next time I'll go for the HHR SS,or the Audi A3.

Surprised by the poor quality of Toyota
By Angela on 12/22/08 16:35 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first Toyota I've ever owned. My husband and I bought this car because we wanted a small, fuel-efficient car to get us around town with the capability of expanding cargo space when needed. Unfortunately, I have been sorely disappointed in some of the features of the car. Within the last two years, both rear door handles have completely broken. The replacement cost for each door handle is $200. The rigid metallic coating of the interior door handles has loosened and actually cut my fingers. Various other compartments (while clever and convenient) have broken or become loose. The bumper pops loose easily and can drag.

Turns heads around
By Noorali Charania on 08/18/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The most elegant looking, economical spacious like a van and the best value for money. Compare the looks with a 40K Lexus RX 330 and compare the storage space after folding seats with an Odyssey. (I own that one too!) My biggest pleasant surprise after 5 yrs of use and fully paid auto loan I have an asset with book value of 11K !!

Fun, sharp-looking, economical, reliable
By Dave B. on 07/09/08 05:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004 Matrix is only the second car I've owned in 20 years (my 1994 Audi finally died). I was reluctant to "trade down" to a Toyota, but I now have no regrets. This roomy, versatile vehicle is the same size as my little Audi (I measured!), and has a smaller turning radius, too. I have a 5-speed manual transmission that is smooth and fun to use. Driver visibility is fine all around, CD/radio sound system is quite good unless you're traveling at more than 50 MPH, when road noise competes. Cargo/passenger/folding seat options are terrific. Driver seat is very comfortable, even on 4-hour highway trips (can't say the same for the Audi!)I'm averaging 30 mpg on regular fuel.

Good, but could be better.
By Matrix04 on 05/16/08 13:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Electric windows rattle, grind and pop. Dealer could not address problem. Eventually a window fell out. Engine surges while stopped at light or in traffic. Dealer could not address problem. The door handles have a "metallic" finish that peels away. Occupants have cut their fingers on the edge of metal/plastic that was coming away. Eventually got worse to where you could see the white plastic handle underneath so I peeled away the remaining sharp edges and caution occupants. Dealer offered to repair at my expense. Contacted the Toyota Customer Service Experience Center and was referred back to a dealer.

Breaking in car - new discoveries
By pearlmomma on 05/14/08 12:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought Matrix new. Have 21,000 mi on car today. Mostly city driving with occasional road trip. Beginning to see minor degradation on interior moving parts - the "cheap" is revealing itself. Out-of-control acceleration happened to me 2 times. The accelerator just slams to the floorboard and won't let up. The first time in 70+ mph traffic - the second time 45+ traffic. Terrified me. Panic! Had to yank emergency handle and turn car off. It is a real experience and the dealer can't explain. I think it's a defective chip in the master brain of some cars.

145,000 & still going strong!!
By Chadwicked on 04/13/08 16:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got the car in late 2003 brand new. If you keep up with oil changes and tire rotations you'll be able to drive it forever. It's got well over 100,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with it unless you refer to a headlight bulb and battery I had to change almost 5 years later, other than that, no complaints.

Best car I have ever owned
By Mary Ellen Snyder on 01/20/08 13:14 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Matrix for almost 4 years and I can say that this is the first car I have ever considered keeping beyond 4 years. I am dismayed that they eliminated the AWD option as it has been super through several New England winters. I am a nurse who has to get to work no matter the weather and it has never let me down. The car is fun to drive and gets great mileage considering that it is an AWD small SUV. I have transported furniture and bikes and all sorts of luggage in it. I am a scrapbooker and can carry all of my "stuff" as well as that of a friend in it and have room to spare when we go away for scrapbooking weekends. I have never been attached to a car before this one. Love it!