Used 2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

208,000, and still love it!
By mamccoy

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My goal is to make it past 300000 miles on this car. I bought it with 144k, and was told by the owner that he had the transmission rebuilt at 100k by Aamco (though they sometimes may stretch the truth with a vehicle's true repair needs). They said the Main drive bearing went out. I put in a new Catalytic converter around 145k, and i've been golden since then until now. It's time for more work on the tranny, but some are telling me its the clutch throw-out bearing (release bearing) and some tell me it's the same issue that this car had at 100k. Regardless, I have loved the car and wouldn't hesitate on getting another. As for now, I'll fix it and go another 100k, Lord willing!

all the Space in the car, my Thule roof rack, 33mpg hwy (29+mpg avg), 208k miles and the engine runs great and the body is still pretty sound!

Fix the Transmission! People buy Manual Transmissions because they last longer, yet this one doesn't seem to!

Toyota does not stand by its owners
By Dabear

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned the car and it was a great fun car could ignore the minor problems such as a defective battery in the first week and minor fit and finish problems. After 3 years and 37k my clutch went and looking on the internet I found out that 03 and 04 Matrix have hundreds of reported problems with early failure of transmissions.BTW,many of those posts are on the Edmunds forums Toyota has refused to acknowledge there is a problem Now at 79K I find the clutch and transmission is going All my previous standards have gone over 100k

Great car when everything works

Toyota start to care about your owners

GREAT all around car
By matrix vibe owner

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

bought after reviewing all the amazing reliability reports and excellent gas mileage and have not been disappointed. ZERO issues! only changed the oil, flushed other fluids after 4 years and 140,000 miles. You will not find a better value around and quality to go 300,000+ miles

RELIABLE!!! 35 mpg!!! lots of versatile storage space with the 5 door body.

maybe an independent rear suspension for better ride and handling but that is about it

practical commuting
By pulledover3ice

2004 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The exterior is great, sporty, yet classy (best looking economy hatchback) - that's something many modern models can't get right (even the new matrix). The interior is roomy and tasteful, the only problem is the low quality storage compartment under the shifter, it kept falling out. Auto on/off headlights are a must. Seats could be more comfortable ('01 elantra was very good). This car does not accelerate very fast and has a noisy ride. AWD shines on the snow. If you go over 75 mph, the car starts vibrating and otherwise complaining about the speed (although once you push it over 80 it can be smooth). Handling is fine, suspension too soft for sharp turns. High winds push it around at 75+

auto on/off headlights, folding back seats, gauge cluster

more comfortable seats, replace the storage compartment under the shifter

'04 Matrix XRS 150K Miles Review
By OingoBo

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am a driver. The transmission is very well matched. Replaced clutch at 110K miles. Only normal maintenance required. I love the sound it makes at high revs.

Powerful I4 engine. Fold flat trunk. Put the right tires on and the handling is exceptional. Longevity.

Driving position hurts on long trips.