Used 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

2004 XRS 6speed 166k miles
By eddiem325

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We bought or XRS new, fully loaded except for navigation. We have driven our car all over the east coast. It has never left us stranded. My wife usually drives it and baby's it. When I drive it, I drive it like I stole it. Besides replacing the a/c compressor and switch, the only thing we've had trouble with was cheap plastics and the clutch. Our 1st clutch went at 80k miles and is ready to go up again at 166k miles. Will invest in the heavy duty clutch this time. A small oil leak developed at 150k miles on the valve covers. We love our '04 matrix so much we are looking for another "03 to '05 before they're all gone and high mileage.

Favorite Features

My wife loves the 6 speed manual tranny. The 6 cd changer stereo sound was nice but now needs speakers. The 110 volt receptacle was awesome for her laptop charging along the foldable front seat for college. The versatile seating arrangements have been awesome for Home Depot runs to throwing my bike in to family vacations up and down the east coast. Moon roof rocks too. Great handling with 17' rims, but the tires get pricey. My son is 13 and wants one for when he starts driving. It's been a great family car. Handled his car seat well. 32 miles per gallon rocket. Added a hitch which was bolt on because Toyota had welded bolts for a hitch already. Use it to move my jet boat around our yard.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the 6 speed 180hp 1.8 liter motor with a heavier clutch. They improved the front facia which was too low and often scraped up in '05. There were some cheesy plastic parts inside such as panel covers. The liftgate cover eventually fell off. Road noise and a stiff ride was my only complaint. My wife loves the ride and said she loved the sporty stiffness and handling. To each his own. My Dodge Ram has half the mileage of our Matrix and has been in the shop twice if not three times as much.

'04 Matrix XRS 150K Miles Review
By OingoBo

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am a driver. The transmission is very well matched. Replaced clutch at 110K miles. Only normal maintenance required. I love the sound it makes at high revs.

Favorite Features

Powerful I4 engine. Fold flat trunk. Put the right tires on and the handling is exceptional. Longevity.

Suggested Improvements

Driving position hurts on long trips.

Matrix Headache
By Carsrus

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car new with the intent of keeping it a long time with Toyota's reputation. This is the 5th brand new car I have purchased and my first Toyota. It is also my last Toyota. I have never had more problems or put more money into maintaining a car than this one. I just traded this car in with only 83,000 miles on it because I did not want to sink any more repair money into it. Unusual problem areas: neck to gas tank was rusting and would not allow gas cap to seal so car will not pass state emission tests - cost of total repair was over a thousand. Transmission failures after 80k on Matrix (cost over 3k).

Favorite Features

The Matrix is fun to drive and offers flexible storage with great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Improved quality! Not only is there poor quality but Toyota refuses to back anything up.

Fourbanger Fun
By Chris R

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love the XRS. I actually had a XR and it was a great car too, but I wanted something in a manual. This is a fast little car at approx. 4500 RPM. What is great you dont have to go that high and drive it economically. For a car that is fun, roomy, comfortable, decent MPG, and sporty. Look no further.

Favorite Features

Engine, when the car reaches lift it makes some great engine tones. Ergonomic, economic, roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Change the use of premium gas, beeping in reverse, power seats.

Ahh it's not so bad...depending on view
By Camp H

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Peppy engine but very noisy, I have a 6 speed manual trans and it's very easy to shift. Radio rocks. Common complaint I read is road noise, that is true. Seats are comfortable. Views are good (rear window is small so that is limited) Only thing that needed to be fixed was serpentine belt had to be replaced & belt tensioner had to be replaced. Other than that the car is extremely reliable.

Favorite Features

I love the 6-speed manual transmission & this engine. It's very responsive & has a lot of kick to it.

Suggested Improvements

Insulation of some type to dampen the road noise & engine noise. Also factory tires are horrible in the snow. Car is all over the road.