2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
2004 XRS 6speed 166k miles
By eddiem325 on 04/05/14 10:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We bought or XRS new, fully loaded except for navigation. We have driven our car all over the east coast. It has never left us stranded. My wife usually drives it and baby's it. When I drive it, I drive it like I stole it. Besides replacing the a/c compressor and switch, the only thing we've had trouble with was cheap plastics and the clutch. Our 1st clutch went at 80k miles and is ready to go up again at 166k miles. Will invest in the heavy duty clutch this time. A small oil leak developed at 150k miles on the valve covers. We love our '04 matrix so much we are looking for another "03 to '05 before they're all gone and high mileage.

Great hauler/commuter
By joybulb on 08/09/13 07:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got the matrix certified used in 2008, and never had any problems with it. I'm at 90,300 miles and it still runs great. It has great cargo capacity for home improvement projects. I've hauled anything from a 55" led TV in the box, to 600 lbs of ceramic tile, and it works like a champ. Good acceleration, good gas mileage. Like others, I have a tiny complaint about the small compartment under the shifter not staying shut, but other than that and some random rattling at times, it has been wonderful. We also have a 2004 corolla, and have experienced nothing but the best quality from Toyota. We're happy Toyota customers, who will be grabbing the 2014 Highlander as soon as it shows up.

Over 200k
By johnkidding on 05/13/13 13:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

210k miles, and no major problems. Catalytic converter went bad at around 140k. Other than that, I've only spent on tires, brake pads, and regular oil changes.

Reliable, practical, it's been a great car.
By thomkatt on 01/25/13 19:22 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Matrix used in '08 with 52k. It's currently at 103k and I still haven't had any problems with it, aside from regular maintenance (oil/filter changes, replaced tires/brake pads). It's my first car and I've really enjoyed its mix of practicality, fuel economy, and relative sportiness. That's sportiness relative to a camry or corolla; it's relatively fun to drive around town, but the fun is limited beyond that. I'm a college student, so the flexible cargo area is great for the frequent moves, group trips to the grocery store, and weekend getaways. As far as style, the asymmetrical dash is cool and the exterior is sporty enough (the solar yellow paint helps). It's been a great car.

208,000, and still love it!
By mamccoy on 05/02/12 17:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My goal is to make it past 300000 miles on this car. I bought it with 144k, and was told by the owner that he had the transmission rebuilt at 100k by Aamco (though they sometimes may stretch the truth with a vehicle's true repair needs). They said the Main drive bearing went out. I put in a new Catalytic converter around 145k, and i've been golden since then until now. It's time for more work on the tranny, but some are telling me its the clutch throw-out bearing (release bearing) and some tell me it's the same issue that this car had at 100k. Regardless, I have loved the car and wouldn't hesitate on getting another. As for now, I'll fix it and go another 100k, Lord willing!

Toyota does not stand by its owners
By Dabear on 05/31/10 19:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned the car and it was a great fun car could ignore the minor problems such as a defective battery in the first week and minor fit and finish problems. After 3 years and 37k my clutch went and looking on the internet I found out that 03 and 04 Matrix have hundreds of reported problems with early failure of transmissions.BTW,many of those posts are on the Edmunds forums Toyota has refused to acknowledge there is a problem Now at 79K I find the clutch and transmission is going All my previous standards have gone over 100k

GREAT all around car
By matrix vibe owner on 04/24/10 16:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

bought after reviewing all the amazing reliability reports and excellent gas mileage and have not been disappointed. ZERO issues! only changed the oil, flushed other fluids after 4 years and 140,000 miles. You will not find a better value around and quality to go 300,000+ miles

practical commuting
By pulledover3ice on 03/25/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The exterior is great, sporty, yet classy (best looking economy hatchback) - that's something many modern models can't get right (even the new matrix). The interior is roomy and tasteful, the only problem is the low quality storage compartment under the shifter, it kept falling out. Auto on/off headlights are a must. Seats could be more comfortable ('01 elantra was very good). This car does not accelerate very fast and has a noisy ride. AWD shines on the snow. If you go over 75 mph, the car starts vibrating and otherwise complaining about the speed (although once you push it over 80 it can be smooth). Handling is fine, suspension too soft for sharp turns. High winds push it around at 75+

'04 Matrix XRS 150K Miles Review
By OingoBo on 12/15/09 20:25 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am a driver. The transmission is very well matched. Replaced clutch at 110K miles. Only normal maintenance required. I love the sound it makes at high revs.

Matrix Headache
By Carsrus on 12/02/09 11:41 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car new with the intent of keeping it a long time with Toyota's reputation. This is the 5th brand new car I have purchased and my first Toyota. It is also my last Toyota. I have never had more problems or put more money into maintaining a car than this one. I just traded this car in with only 83,000 miles on it because I did not want to sink any more repair money into it. Unusual problem areas: neck to gas tank was rusting and would not allow gas cap to seal so car will not pass state emission tests - cost of total repair was over a thousand. Transmission failures after 80k on Matrix (cost over 3k).