2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Excellent car
By greg on 07/27/09 06:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new. It has not had any problems. We even pull a 10'X6' trailer around town three or four times a year. It has 106,000 miles on it. My kids have broken the back exterior door handles due to pulling down instead of just out (due to their height). Other than that - it is a great car and we consistently get 31 mpg. There is a funny noise it makes when it is 45 degrees or colder until it warms up.

Practical & Reliable/Lacks Fun Factor
By NewsJunkieLite on 05/26/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I like the Vibe's styling better, but I got the Matrix because of the yellow color. It's extremely practical, like an SUV w/o the bad gas mileage. I've fit a push mower and a old clunky stationary bike in the back with the seats folded down (not at the same time although that wouldn't be impossible). The gas mileage is good too; I've averaged 27-30 mpg depending on how hard I've driven. It doesn't bother me but if you're gonna get a yellow car be aware that bugs like yellow cars like they like streetlamps. Compared to other cars the A/C is quick to start cooling during the summer. My only issue with it is that it's not very fun to drive. Maybe next time I'll go for the HHR SS,or the Audi A3.

Fun, sharp-looking, economical, reliable
By Dave B. on 07/09/08 05:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004 Matrix is only the second car I've owned in 20 years (my 1994 Audi finally died). I was reluctant to "trade down" to a Toyota, but I now have no regrets. This roomy, versatile vehicle is the same size as my little Audi (I measured!), and has a smaller turning radius, too. I have a 5-speed manual transmission that is smooth and fun to use. Driver visibility is fine all around, CD/radio sound system is quite good unless you're traveling at more than 50 MPH, when road noise competes. Cargo/passenger/folding seat options are terrific. Driver seat is very comfortable, even on 4-hour highway trips (can't say the same for the Audi!)I'm averaging 30 mpg on regular fuel.

2004 Matrix Owner is so so
By MatrixOwner2 on 12/22/07 04:08 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Sporty vehicle that we loved the look of. Great for short trips, errands, and hauling. Mileage good, but there is a paint issue with the hood that Toyota won't own up to (missing layers of paint after 2-years of ownership). Also, I agree the sound system is poor but what do you expect in this price range? Driver seat seems more comfy than passenger for long trips, uncomfortable for passenger. Basically a bit more attention to quality and they will perfect this model (maybe they have already). Bottle water holders in the door would be a great addition to this model. Nix the cheap backseat beverage holders.

76000 miles and going strong!
By Cece on 07/27/06 03:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2003 (2004 model) and now have 76000 miles on it! Not a single problem! I have a manuel transmission and it is so much fun to drive. It's young and stylish and I wouldn't trade it for any other car :)

I love my car!
By elf08 on 08/13/05 14:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've wanted a Matrix ever since they came out, and I got my wish this year!! It is everything I expected it to be, and I am very happy w/ it. It runs great, gets good gas mileage, it's adorable and it's so fun to drive. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the looks of it.

The Night Special
By Night on 01/10/05 02:21 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very good car, Very trust worthy. Not that expensive. Drives very smooth. Very roomy too.

Good all round vehicle
By aspenlakes on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the matrix because of mileage and the avalable manual trans. My two boys hate riding in it (ages 8+9), because they cannot see out of the rear passenger windows. The rear seat is deep, which makes it impossible to see out the windows.

I have no comments, I'm happy
By rmirandayopo on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Good millage, roomy, good outside vision

It's a great car
By drews72 on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine right when they came out and I have driven the hell out of it. I havn't had any problems and routine maintenance is all I've had to worry about. I definitly recommend a Matrix is your a communter like me.