2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Review: Say goodbye to your SUV

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Review

XRS Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Say goodbye to your SUV
By Clarke on

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When I first started looking for a replacement for my SUV, I only looked at sport luxury cars. I was already spoiled with powerful acceleration, leather seats and smooth handling, I just wanted something easier on the gas mileage. One drive in a fiery Matrix XRS changed my perception. It has just as much space as my SUV, as well as the handling, gas mileage and features of a luxury car. Additionally, the XRS model puts out 180hp in a 6 speed manual which provides more than enough power for me. This car looks great inside and out, the gauges are set back into the dash for a very sporty feel. I absolutely love this car.

6 disc CD changer, acceleration between 5000-8100 RPM, lots of headroom back and front (I'm 6'2), loud engine (not for the shy, quiet type).

With the 6 speed manual, the reverse is all the way on the left side, and it beeps at you while it's in gear (better set up would be the WRX's slot 6 reverse); also a meaner front (I love the front of the 2008 xD).