2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Review: Excellent buy, fine build from

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Review

Excellent buy, fine build from Toyota
By crpbdb on

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at 90K, have put about 6k on it since, including several long drive up I-5. Fuel economy is wonderful, I average more like 30 on the street and 32-35 highway. Of course the interior is a little cheap, but its a Toyota, not a Lexus. The clutch is smooth and so is the transmission, no bearing failures here, despite an abusive previous owner. I have had an issue with the driver side window falling down into the channel: a piece of the window sealing rubber had been pinched inside the channel. Toyota replaced it no problems. The storage capacity is where its at; it is a Camry chassis with 3-4x the amount of storage space. Has been a very reliable and economical ride for myself

Fun car to drive! It doesn't have a lot of oomph during mountain driving, but certainly does the job and great on the street. Easy to park, and handles well. I think the fuel mileage is the real kicker. Im getting better mileage than most cars in its class, no problems.

The interior can get beat up if you abuse it! I've replaced the stereo, and my power window button covers are fairly loose, but Toyota really can't be blamed for this. This is an economy car, if you abuse it and beat up on fragile interior areas they will break.