2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
color my world
By BJ Freeman on 12/08/04 10:40 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Paint on front bumper has peeled and fallen off, now it is flat back. Service tech told me I probably bumped a curb while parking and that makes the paint fall off. Stated it was a manufacturers defect but Toyota has not acknowledged yet so they will do nothing to correct it. I thought that's what a bumper guard was for. Dumb me. Also milage is not what it is rated. On a good day gets about 24 mpg.Also "tires for life" program sucks. Salesman stated "Free tires as long as you own the car, regardless". Did not tell me I also needed to buy Road Hazard on them. Sooo, I have bought 3 tires. I do have road hazard now. Thanks Deluca Toyota for hiring such ace salesmen to take advantage of us!

Fun car
By stapler31 on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is fun to drive if you have open roads. It seems to be wasted on island driving. I've had a problem with the paint chipping easily. One of the power window motors failed but was replaced under warranty. Overall though, this is a great car to own.

XRS review
By NJCosmic on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A great car for it's price range. I have an RX300 and this car can haul just as much stuff but get twice the gas mileage. The car handles very well and the braking is excellent. Hit 6200 RPM and you get a boost of power that i call "LIFT" which is very addicting. I am an active person and i find this car very versitile. The split 60/40 rear seat feature is nice. I can carry my mountain bike or snowboards in the car with no problem. Add a cold-air intake, lowering springs, front strut brace and rear sway bar and you'll have alot more fun than it's stock form. I love this car.

2003 Toyota Matrix Review
By Elaine Hayden on 05/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car has been one of the best vehicles that I have ever owned. I have not had one ounce of trouble with the vehicle. It drives well, rides well for a small car and I have traveled from Georgia to Kentucky, from to Kentucky to Texas and back and forth several times. Have spent a lot of hours in this car and the only complaint that I really have is having to use premium fuel. It runs well and drives well.

Great Car
By aurigus on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The absolute #1 reason for getting this car is it's versatiliy. We didn't know what was ahead for us, AKA moving, jobs, kids, etc - and this car fits any situation. The exterior design of it is something people either love or hate. I stand in the middle, I am perfectly ok with it. Overall I am very satisfied with the design. The interior is very nice, roomy, and great for long trips. Even the back seat has plenty of leg room, and my tall friends never complain when riding in the back. The red-guages, sunroof, power plugs are all "gotcha" features. Also the upgraded sound system packs a nice punch.

It does what I want.
By buzz006 on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It is nice to be further off the ground when I step out of the car. I have folded down the back seats moving many things from a snow blower to a tree, to small furniture. It is really nice how flat it does get. I have never really used the tie downs that come with it. I have never come close to the mileage for the city/highway that it is supposed to get. I am at best 4 mpg less than what they say. During the winter around 28 mpg, during the summer around 32 mpg. I drive 1/2 hour to work every day mostly highway. Around 25 miles each way.

Value for money
By 3818 on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The toyota matrix xr awd is a true value for money.definitely looks much better than pontiac vibe. Reliable driving on snow, versatile design, sporty looks and ample space makes ideal for a single person or a family with a small child. Its awd really works, the wider tires also help. Ample head room with a more upright seating than a sedan. Acceleration in the initial 2-3 seconds is a little slow, gear change in the automatic transmission; it down shifts a little slower than I desire. Unstable when driving in heavy cross winds at speeds above 70 mph. Over all very satisfied with my decision to buy this car.

Great Looking
By Jeff03 on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new fully loaded except for the DVD navigation (I don't usually get lost) and the car has been excelent towards me. I mostly have been driving it on the highway averaging about 400 miles/wk and with no problems. I was getting about 36- 37 mpg when highway driving. Now that I do mostly city driving I am averaging about 32mpg. Great car for the money. I would not really buy a new one again because of deperasion.

Driver comfort
By Greg Misemer on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love the mileage. The car handles well. Its a great car for running back and forth to work and around town. The front seats need better lower back support. My kids have a hard time see out from the back seat. It is a hard car to beat for the price.

I love my Matrix
By kanndo on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

fun to drive, good power