Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

123K and counting
By MatrixWI

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this car for my wife that was averaging 40K per year in mileage and she needed something that would drive good in the snow. The AWD is great, but we are on our second set of tires. Currently the car is in need of brakes, but not too bad for a car with 123K on it. We have only done 60 or 90K major service, but nothing else. We have used the car for major yard projects and it fit everything. We have also used that car to move two times 600+ and had no issues with the car. We've done numerous road trips with the car and every time it works great. The only one complaint that we have is the car seems to burn more oil than usual and the horse power a LOT less than needed.

Favorite Features

Looks and AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Power for AWD.

My Matrix Jewel
By lover of the Lord

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Matrix I purchased has been a complete joy for me to own. I have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. The only thing i had happen with the car is to bottom out in a pot hole and mess up my front bumper. Other than that I'd buy another one, no questions asked, unless they were to make changes to it that I didn't like.

Suggested Improvements

raise it up from the ground more on this model

'03 Matrix xr
By Brian

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is well built and drives very nice. The lack of horsepower causes the car to have less pep with the 5 speed than I would prefer, but it is adequate for highway driving on average.I may not be able to run with some of the sportier cars , but it get's very good mileage on a tank of fuel and now it is more important than it used to be.

Favorite Features

It is versatile and has enough room for carrying luggage etc for a family of four when we take vacation.

Suggested Improvements

I would hope that the newer model's would be equipped with a larger engine to help make the car a bit snappier .

Love my Matrix
By jacben

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Having driven and owned many different vehicles, I have never encountered one that I enjoy as much as I enjoy my Matrix. It responds quickly, drives smoothly, gets great gas mileage, holds 4 people comfortably enough for a 3000 mile road trip and looks sporty and fun. Complaints: The air conditioner quit because of an internal air filter that neither I nor my mechanic knew existed. (Once it was discovered and changed the A\C began to work again.) My standard transmission stalls too easily when starting off in first gear. The body has been marred in several places by minor bumps.

Favorite Features

Appearance and drivability.

Suggested Improvements

Sturdier material at the bottom of the car, below the doors and below the grille.

Best car I have driven
By Beulah

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. My husband and I went out West last year. We drove our Matrix there and back. We drove over 4,000 miles. We got 32 miles to a gallon of gas. It was very comfortable and we enjoyed our trip in this car.

Favorite Features

Everything