Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews - 323 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Unreliable, poor quality
By jamesimcb

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I raved about this car when i first got it. But after a transmission failure at 130,000 km's I am very disappointed. Fuel economy has gone down ever since. many rattles in the car. failed caliper. toyota cost over 800 dollars. The premium you pay for a toyota is no longer worth it. Buy north american and save some money as Toyota's quality has gone down hill!

The front passenger fold down seat. Carrying capacity is awesome when the car is not in the shop.

Build it more reliable...bad transmissions with such low km's is unacceptable. Toyota should stand behind their vehicles but they do not, they are too caulky. Toyota is going down hill

No need to even look at the '09
By Cignal

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the original '03 XR, loaded, nav, sunroof, 18 inch wheels. Looks great. But the best thing is the mileage. Consistently well over 30 mpg. On a trip to San Diego from Huntington Beach, all freeway, all cruise control, very flat-land trip, right lane, 52 mph, this beauty gave me 41.3 mpg. Not typical, but true. Came w/ factory navigation + 6 CD changer; still cost just over 19K. Great for making service calls and hauling Home Depot stuff. A little weak on HP; I'd rather have the MPG anyway. Had to replace a faulty nav, sunroof motor, both under warranty. No reason to even look at the '09s. Only neg is the inst panel: hard to read in bright sunlight; remedy is to replace all gauges.

MPG, MPG, MPG. Factory navigation and comfort on long rides: LA to Vegas, Phoenix, etc. Great A/C and heater. Lots of rear room.

Touch screen nav (if nav is offered); rear disk brakes and curtain air bags. Leather would be nice but maybe not too practical for service work.

Say goodbye to your SUV
By Clarke

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When I first started looking for a replacement for my SUV, I only looked at sport luxury cars. I was already spoiled with powerful acceleration, leather seats and smooth handling, I just wanted something easier on the gas mileage. One drive in a fiery Matrix XRS changed my perception. It has just as much space as my SUV, as well as the handling, gas mileage and features of a luxury car. Additionally, the XRS model puts out 180hp in a 6 speed manual which provides more than enough power for me. This car looks great inside and out, the gauges are set back into the dash for a very sporty feel. I absolutely love this car.

6 disc CD changer, acceleration between 5000-8100 RPM, lots of headroom back and front (I'm 6'2), loud engine (not for the shy, quiet type).

With the 6 speed manual, the reverse is all the way on the left side, and it beeps at you while it's in gear (better set up would be the WRX's slot 6 reverse); also a meaner front (I love the front of the 2008 xD).

Great car except for the transmission :(
By tuxristo

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have found it to have just enough power, just enough size. I can fit anything in it. It's very comfortable on long trips. The manual transmission makes it nice to drive, since the engine is a bit small, but the great gas mileage more than makes up for it. But I don't trust it. Since the transmission failed at 108,000km with no explanation from Toyota, I am always worried that it will fail again, or that some other bearings will fail and leave me stranded, so for the last six months it's been stressful to take this car on a longer trip. There's nothing worse than not "trusting" your car! All in all, I love my Matrix, but I don't trust it.

Nice interior design. Rear hatch window opens separately. Nice and bright headlights. Decent GM stereo. Awesome on gas. All seats fold down with hard plastic on back.

Too much plastic inside. Interior trim paint chips easily. Could use a little more horsepower. The look of the car from the rear, especially without the skirt is a little boring. It seems like the transmission was changed for the 2004, otherwise I'd suggest that as an improvement ;)

Toyota Matrix review
By bobbyb

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very good gas mileage. Very cheap to maintain. Can fit a surprising amount of things into the spacious "trunk". It is essentially a Corolla with a hatchback.

Trunk.