2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Consumer review 2003 Toyota Matrix
By Dr. T on 08/29/05 23:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Unbelievable handling. Fun to drive, but with some drawbacks. 1) hard to manage clutch. 2) brakes, clutch, steering wheel not real comfortable. Needs to have telescoping steering wheel and more room above clutch as toe hits firewall before clutch is fully depressed. 3) excessive pressure required on clutch to start vehicle is a pain, perhaps can be adjusted. Sound system is great, but requires much difficult reading to master as the owners manual is poorly done in this area. GOOD mileage (33 mpg hwy, 29 city). Decent (not great) power, best over 4,000 rpm. Cargo space is very good, but cup holders get in the way of emergency brake. Basically, I'm glad that I bought it.

It's OK.
By Jim Chronister on 08/02/05 10:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

High RPM (6000 to 8000) operating performance is impressive, but it over revs quickly. Slow off the line (little torque). Handling is good. Several blind spots. Total fuel economy is 31.6 MPG with 65000 miles.

Toyota does it again !!!!
By Rgolf1960 on 05/12/05 19:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has a very peppy 4 cyl. Good gas mileage at 30 combined. Interior noise could be improved. Low profile tires give semi-rough ride. Overall, very solid and dependable car. Cool design.

Great car!
By Jill on 03/25/05 14:35 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in May '02 after waiting for someone to bring out a new 4-door hatchback for years. I've had 4- door manual transmission hatchbacks my whole life and after my Tercel died in 96 was making do with a used Honda wagon. The Matrix is the best all- around car I've owned--roomy inside, small enough outside to park and maneuver easily, lots of user-friendly comfort features, super-dependable, good safety features, and GREAT mileage (average is about 33). A super blend of commuter car and SUV-like carrying capacity. All seats are comfortable and the flat-fold rear and passenger seats make it easy to load all sorts of things that would be hard to get into other vehicles.

This is the most fun car I have ever had.
By lkb on 03/14/05 19:41 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 5-speed XR model. It has much more get up and go than the automatic version, which I test drove. I have had a lot of fun in this car. Love the fold down back seats....has lots of room for my dogs.

Very solid car
By Andy on 03/05/05 13:06 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We chose a Toyota given their excellent record and reliability. To date, we have not been let down. In retrospect, we should have spent the additional $$$ and gotten the sport version for added pick up. Perhaps the best feature about the car is its excellente fuel economy. Our other car is a Honda CR-V and it pales in comparison. With rising gas prices, we do appreciate having to fill up the Matrix less frequently.

Gets the job done
By Beth on 02/19/05 16:46 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I just had my car break down on me, the dealership had it for a week because they couldn't figure out the problem. IT was the VVTI sensor and the oil pan sensor. I was pretty upset considering my car only has 17,000 miles on it. The gas mileage is definitely not right. All in all I have been pretty happy with this car. I love the way it drives.

I love my car
By Barbara Cash on 12/18/04 21:12 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Before I bought this car I had an elderly Camry wagon with close to 300,000 miles on it. We do a lot of traveling so I wanted a new car. I fell in love with the MATRIX the first time I saw it. It is the perfect size and I love the sunroof. My husband and I travel all over California and into some parts of Nevada and we have really enjoyed this car. it is very comfortable and quite spacious for the two of us and all of our stuff. I am so glad that we bought it and I plan on driving it for many years to come.

Love my Matrix!
By Kath on 12/08/04 15:18 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002/2003 Matrix used with 50,000 miles on it..it's still tight and silent. I love the 5 speed (though it does stuggle up the nearby mountain highway.) Lots of room for handbells and gear, as well as a roomy back seat...far bigger than any of the bigger SUV's I looked at (even the Mercedes C- Class and Honda CRV.) The dealer put the same tires on it that he puts on his BMW's so the car hugs the road and handles very well. I removed the back seat head rests since they block my view, but will replace them if I have back seat passengers. The cargo net is in good shape but its use is a mystery. Very heavy duty jumper cables were included...yea, Toyota!

color my world
By BJ Freeman on 12/08/04 10:40 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Paint on front bumper has peeled and fallen off, now it is flat back. Service tech told me I probably bumped a curb while parking and that makes the paint fall off. Stated it was a manufacturers defect but Toyota has not acknowledged yet so they will do nothing to correct it. I thought that's what a bumper guard was for. Dumb me. Also milage is not what it is rated. On a good day gets about 24 mpg.Also "tires for life" program sucks. Salesman stated "Free tires as long as you own the car, regardless". Did not tell me I also needed to buy Road Hazard on them. Sooo, I have bought 3 tires. I do have road hazard now. Thanks Deluca Toyota for hiring such ace salesmen to take advantage of us!