Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Just the best!
By Jeff

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the the best vehicle I have ever owned. It was my first Toyota and that is all I will ever buy from now on. 180,000 miles on it and not a single problem. Nothing but brakes and spark plugs. The all wheel drive is amazing I live in Canada and it goes through the snow better than my 4x4 truck. Fuel is about 36 mpg highway. Great car!

All wheel drive and cargo space.

A little bigger engine would be nice. 2009 model comes with a 2.4 litre engine good improvment

Best of both worlds
By Thomas Howe

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Not too many cars that go from 0- 60 in 7 seconds, yet get 32 mpg on the road. Also, the fact that there's lots of room in back with the seats folded down is a major plus. Are you reading this, bicyclist and skiers? It handles great and is a pleasure to drive long distances. I regularly took 1000 mile round trip drives and it never missed a beat. The extra kick pas 6000 RPMs is addicting. It looks cooler the longer you have it, with all of the ground effects, but that did have its down side. The front spoilers were too low and I was always scraping them on curbs, sometimes damaging them. I would have kept it, but decided to get a 4X4 SUV for the Wisconsin winters. I miss the gas mileage.

The power, fuel economy, apearance, room, comfort, reliability.

The tranny was too stiff and notchy, which I got used to eventually. The front spoiler was too easily damaged because of its low height. And the beeping sound when I put it in reverse drove me nuts! I tried to have it silenced, but the process was too pricey.

Unreliable, poor quality
By jamesimcb

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I raved about this car when i first got it. But after a transmission failure at 130,000 km's I am very disappointed. Fuel economy has gone down ever since. many rattles in the car. failed caliper. toyota cost over 800 dollars. The premium you pay for a toyota is no longer worth it. Buy north american and save some money as Toyota's quality has gone down hill!

The front passenger fold down seat. Carrying capacity is awesome when the car is not in the shop.

Build it more reliable...bad transmissions with such low km's is unacceptable. Toyota should stand behind their vehicles but they do not, they are too caulky. Toyota is going down hill

No need to even look at the '09
By Cignal

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the original '03 XR, loaded, nav, sunroof, 18 inch wheels. Looks great. But the best thing is the mileage. Consistently well over 30 mpg. On a trip to San Diego from Huntington Beach, all freeway, all cruise control, very flat-land trip, right lane, 52 mph, this beauty gave me 41.3 mpg. Not typical, but true. Came w/ factory navigation + 6 CD changer; still cost just over 19K. Great for making service calls and hauling Home Depot stuff. A little weak on HP; I'd rather have the MPG anyway. Had to replace a faulty nav, sunroof motor, both under warranty. No reason to even look at the '09s. Only neg is the inst panel: hard to read in bright sunlight; remedy is to replace all gauges.

MPG, MPG, MPG. Factory navigation and comfort on long rides: LA to Vegas, Phoenix, etc. Great A/C and heater. Lots of rear room.

Touch screen nav (if nav is offered); rear disk brakes and curtain air bags. Leather would be nice but maybe not too practical for service work.

Say goodbye to your SUV
By Clarke

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When I first started looking for a replacement for my SUV, I only looked at sport luxury cars. I was already spoiled with powerful acceleration, leather seats and smooth handling, I just wanted something easier on the gas mileage. One drive in a fiery Matrix XRS changed my perception. It has just as much space as my SUV, as well as the handling, gas mileage and features of a luxury car. Additionally, the XRS model puts out 180hp in a 6 speed manual which provides more than enough power for me. This car looks great inside and out, the gauges are set back into the dash for a very sporty feel. I absolutely love this car.

6 disc CD changer, acceleration between 5000-8100 RPM, lots of headroom back and front (I'm 6'2), loud engine (not for the shy, quiet type).

With the 6 speed manual, the reverse is all the way on the left side, and it beeps at you while it's in gear (better set up would be the WRX's slot 6 reverse); also a meaner front (I love the front of the 2008 xD).