2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
The Dragon Wagon really flies!
By Dragon Driver on 04/15/06 19:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Matrix. It is the most reliable station wagon I have owned. I am a Visiting Nurse, so the car must go ANYWHERE and haul a lot of stuff. Plus, it's my office. Works well, except no place to type on laptop. Lots of power, great handling, and no worries in bad weather. If you remember to turn off the overdrive, goes up a 17% grade at 60 mph with no strain. Pet peeve - the seat is not made for short people, the headrest shoves your head forward if you are 5 foot. Easily fixed with a back support seat insert. Also would be nice if the steering wheel didn't block the gauges in the low position. Quality made car with no mechanical issues. Sound system ROCKS, great for classical music !

Great Little Car
By Lou on 04/03/06 12:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have camped in my car and hauled trees, bushes and a big dog. The seats fold flat making a nice level surface. I have gone cross country in the heat of summer, driven 120 miles round trip to work daily in the snows of Maine, driven the Maine to Boston Corridor in the black of night and at the height of snow storms and never had a whit of a problem with any feature of the car. My only wish would be that it was a little more quiet on some road surfaces. I average 34 MPG. I Love It! Lou

Best big lil'-car
By Neo on 03/19/06 09:43 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I used to drive an Xterra-BEAST. Hated it. Bought the Matrix bacause it looked cool and had some interior room. Some room indeed. I can put more junk in my Matrix than I ever hoped to stuff in the Xterra. Granted I can't climb mountains in the Matrix, but I didn't climb mountains in the Xterra. ...And I can drive past lost of gas stations with the Matrix...

Very Reliable Useful Vehicle
By Southpaw on 03/15/06 05:32 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great reliable car. If you want a car that is practical and a little bit fun buy a Matrix. I haul my dogs around in comfort. When I buy Toyota I expect a trouble free car and that is what I got. I wish the gear shift was a bit smoother but it isn't bad. You get a comfortable ride on the highway and it does great in the city too.

Solid and Reliable
By Grace on 03/12/06 08:05 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The only annoying thing about my Matrix is that the "check engine light" has been on for 4 years straight! The dealership always has a new reason for this and the fix they use only lasts for a day or two. I think it has a wonky computer. Other than that my Matrix is terrific. It's very comfortable for a tall person- plenty of leg and head room. But distance from steering wheel (long arms) could be better. I've had no mechanical difficulties whatsoever. I do find myself wishing for faster pick-up but this not meant to be a sportscar- so for what it is (a beefed up corolla) it's pretty good.

Think I purchased a Lemon!
By Tori on 01/18/06 23:11 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Since owning my Matrix I've put over 1k into fixing it! The calliphers went out, my floor is full of water from the sunroof, the gas mileage is appx 24 mpg, my headlights are cracked, this car is nice looking but poorly built (it's a corolla I learned) I've had no luck with this lemon and wish I never sold my CRV!! My interior is also fading (the silver knobs, etc), For a certified car, my old cheaper cars were much better. I will never buy another Toyota. I'm having so many problems with this car I will have to sell it back and pay the diffrence, I don't know what else to do. Lesson learned- "never buy a first year car".

Steve's Matrix
By Steven Blough on 11/19/05 13:32 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent, no compaints. Matrix runs great and also gets great gas mileage. I am averageing close to 40 mpg on trips. Lots of room in the back with seat down. I have used it for sleeping on several trips and found it very comfortable. The AC outlet has been very helpful for things like, charging phone, recharging camera batteries and playing cd player or video games. I have had it for over 3 years now and am very satisfied!!!!

2003 Matrix review from owner
By Dr. T on 11/09/05 13:40 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this vehicle is quite excellent. It is a delight to drive and handles beautifully. Overall, quite excellent. The negative aspects are: Clutch, brake and accelerator are poorly proportioned, and the clutch is especially irritating, as your foot has to be pretty precisely on the pedal or the cluthc pedal cannot be fully disengaged. I ended up adding extra thickness to the clutch pedal to allow full depression of the pedal. If I move the seat closer, then the accelerator is too close, and on it goes. The extra thickness to the pedal solved the problem. The other negative is that the corner rear windows are difficult to see out of from the driver's seat.

crappy car
By tully2 on 10/19/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I would NEVER buy this car if I could do it again! I bought one of the first ones and it is a total LEMON and the dealership won't replace it. drawers and pannels fall off all the time, chrom has fallen off. The AC has broken 3 times and now the engine and transmission have a serious problem and the dealership won't fix it because it is 5,000 miles past the warrenty. I have taken good care of this car and done all the oil changes but it doesn't seem to matter. I expected more from toyota and I also expected a transmission and engine in ANY new car to last longer than 3 years!

The Perfect Car
By HighMiler on 09/25/05 15:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. Period. Over 100,000 miles and NO PROBLEMS! Maintenance costs are low, fuel economy great. No mechanical problems. Only problem so far is a rattle in one of the (overall excellently designed) air vents. As for the complaints some have about power, I've been able repeately to smoke people with base Mustangs (v6-automatic)! Enough room for 4 people with weekend camping/outdoor gear. My next car will be a Toyota. I won't even look at GM, Dodge or GM after experiences with their vehicles. Perfect replacement for a VW Diesel AND a Dodge Dakota.