Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Matrix Rocks
By teebone

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I get lots of looks in this sporty car, and on my first long-distance trip (2400 miles) I got 40 MPG! It corners/handles well, has great brakes, and I was getting scratch in third gear at two years old. Amazing power for fast starts and getaways. I had seven Hondas before getting this Toyota, but I don't think I could go back to Honda. I had to replace the air filter located under the glove compartment, and debated about going to the dealer. However, it was only a few dollars and I was shocked!

Great gas mileage! I get 36 in town if I keep it below 40-45 mph or keep the RPM under 2000. I turn the A/C off when going up hills, and coast down long hills, and I coast around corners if possible. Visibility is great; I love the folding seats and leg room front n back. Air n heat work great, too.

Softer fabric material for the seats? This car is so nice and comfortable. I can't think of much I would improve. Maybe make it in a larger model, not much larger, but maybe wider and a teeny weeny bit longer. How's dat? =:o

Fun Car
By commuter515

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very fun car to drive, tons of room, lots of great features not found on comparable cars: the hatch glass opens independently of hatch, wall type outlet, auto sensing lights, passenger seat folds flat, etc. Great mpg, I commute 120 miles a day, all highway, I average 33 mpg at 70 mph. Acceleration stinks but this is not a sports car, it's a wagon. Like a car, it is not perfect - I currently have 130,000 miles, cat converter went bad at 120K, locks are starting to fail - they do not respond to keychain. AC condensation hose came loose under dash and passenger side carpet got soaked (everyone thought it was the sunroof but it wasn't). But still an awesome car.

Auto lights, open hatch glass, 120v outlet, pass. seat folds flat, stereo, looks.

Cat converter, door locks. engine sounds cheap and pingy.

Great multi-functional car
By Scotch

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! 4 cyl engine with plenty of passing power. Back seats and passenger seat fold down enough to haul nearly anything I've needed including a full sheet of plywood and other lumber. The only down side to the sport model is that it requires 93 octane gas, though, I get approx 28 mpg.

Fold down seats and cargo net for groceries.

Just the best!
By Jeff

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the the best vehicle I have ever owned. It was my first Toyota and that is all I will ever buy from now on. 180,000 miles on it and not a single problem. Nothing but brakes and spark plugs. The all wheel drive is amazing I live in Canada and it goes through the snow better than my 4x4 truck. Fuel is about 36 mpg highway. Great car!

All wheel drive and cargo space.

A little bigger engine would be nice. 2009 model comes with a 2.4 litre engine good improvment

Best of both worlds
By Thomas Howe

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Not too many cars that go from 0- 60 in 7 seconds, yet get 32 mpg on the road. Also, the fact that there's lots of room in back with the seats folded down is a major plus. Are you reading this, bicyclist and skiers? It handles great and is a pleasure to drive long distances. I regularly took 1000 mile round trip drives and it never missed a beat. The extra kick pas 6000 RPMs is addicting. It looks cooler the longer you have it, with all of the ground effects, but that did have its down side. The front spoilers were too low and I was always scraping them on curbs, sometimes damaging them. I would have kept it, but decided to get a 4X4 SUV for the Wisconsin winters. I miss the gas mileage.

The power, fuel economy, apearance, room, comfort, reliability.

The tranny was too stiff and notchy, which I got used to eventually. The front spoiler was too easily damaged because of its low height. And the beeping sound when I put it in reverse drove me nuts! I tried to have it silenced, but the process was too pricey.

• SUV