2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
A cowboy car
By Bearcat on 07/29/06 08:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I didn't know what I was getting into buying a used high performance car. The shift/clutch was so difficult I had to go back and get lessons from a mechanic (after 42 years of driving stick). Then I had to get new brakes and new tires (costing twice as much as for a standard Matrix), because the previous owner in Jersey had apparently driven fast and slammed on the brakes a lot. I am concerned that in the not-too-distant future I'll be forced to replace the clutch to the tune of $700. So even though it's cute and fun to drive, I'm seriously considering turning it in on a "regular" (not sporty) Matrix.

Workhorse after 4 years
By Mr. Tae on 07/23/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car to haul ~ 1000 lbs of equipment daily and the Matrix doesn't disappoint. Mileage ave 33 +/- 5 mpg, troublefree at 4 years old. Interiors are Ikea appearance and quality, soft plastic easily damaged otherwise looks 'durable.' Chrome trim is paint on plastic. Gauges hard to see in bright sunlight. Perfect student, starter, delivery, taxi fleet car. Nimble, easy to drive. Blind spots on rear fixable via adjusting side mirrors. Comfortable enough for 1000 mi one way drives. Adequately powered, can be floored to leap from entrance ramps, shut aircon for best torque. Poor traction from stock tires on bad roads.

Love my Matrix
By Carole on 07/10/06 04:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of pep. Easy to park. Easy to handle. Great in snow and rain.

The Snail
By Ted on 07/06/06 18:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has owned this car for three years now. It averages about 28 mpg and it's size is deceiving. Things I like: size, seat height, fuel econmomy. Things I hate: performance - it can't hardly get out of it's own way. This is the worst performing car we have ever owned. Seating position in relation to the steering wheel, console and door arm rest. Who designed this? My knee is against the shifter console and my arms are straight out to reach the wheel. The door arm rest is too far back as is the storage console to rest your arm while holding the wheel, if you can reach it. POOR Performing AC unit. This car has too much glass and not enough cooling capacity.

Car of the year
By capt.jack on 06/16/06 16:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Excellent car, runs well on freeways. City is a little rough (pot holes).

My Boy
By cc on 06/10/06 00:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This little car has all the benefits of a small, sporty fuel sipper and the hauling capabilities of a minivan. He drives noisy and eats parking bumps (too low). I will keep him until the hybrid is born.

The Best
By Elaine Z on 06/04/06 12:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have owned in a long time. Great mileage and comfort. Handles like a dream.

Enjoying my *new* car
By katie on 05/12/06 14:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We just bought this car and are so far very pleased. I have been dismayed by the few negative consumer reviews on this site, but most seem generally good and consistent with our experience. The interior plastic features are a little kitsch-y, but are neat looking. And, the clutch is... interesting... all things I can certainly live with if the car continues to run well and be fun to drive!

Great for an inexpensive car
By Heather on 04/26/06 14:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Most of my driving is in a small town with stop lights or signs at almost every intersection, and I am still getting 28 - 30 MPG. I love the roominess of the interior. The seats fold down completely flat so that you can really load this car full of cargo. My only complaint is that in order to depress the clutch completely, you are too close to the accelerator which can get uncomfortable if you are driving for awhile. I bought this car for economy and did not expect it to be as nicely appointed or to ride as well as the more expensive Toyotas or Volvos I have owned in the past. It isn't and it doesn't but it's not bad. It's roomy, and, for what I paid, it is an excellent car.

The Dragon Wagon really flies!
By Dragon Driver on 04/15/06 19:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Matrix. It is the most reliable station wagon I have owned. I am a Visiting Nurse, so the car must go ANYWHERE and haul a lot of stuff. Plus, it's my office. Works well, except no place to type on laptop. Lots of power, great handling, and no worries in bad weather. If you remember to turn off the overdrive, goes up a 17% grade at 60 mph with no strain. Pet peeve - the seat is not made for short people, the headrest shoves your head forward if you are 5 foot. Easily fixed with a back support seat insert. Also would be nice if the steering wheel didn't block the gauges in the low position. Quality made car with no mechanical issues. Sound system ROCKS, great for classical music !