Used 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Gets the job done
By Beth

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I just had my car break down on me, the dealership had it for a week because they couldn't figure out the problem. IT was the VVTI sensor and the oil pan sensor. I was pretty upset considering my car only has 17,000 miles on it. The gas mileage is definitely not right. All in all I have been pretty happy with this car. I love the way it drives.

manual shift, 6 disc cd player, alloy wheels. Storage space.

make the front bumper higher, or put something on the bottom so it doesn't get scraped. have it use regular unleaded gas instead of premium.

color my world
By BJ Freeman

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Paint on front bumper has peeled and fallen off, now it is flat back. Service tech told me I probably bumped a curb while parking and that makes the paint fall off. Stated it was a manufacturers defect but Toyota has not acknowledged yet so they will do nothing to correct it. I thought that's what a bumper guard was for. Dumb me. Also milage is not what it is rated. On a good day gets about 24 mpg.Also "tires for life" program sucks. Salesman stated "Free tires as long as you own the car, regardless". Did not tell me I also needed to buy Road Hazard on them. Sooo, I have bought 3 tires. I do have road hazard now. Thanks Deluca Toyota for hiring such ace salesmen to take advantage of us!

It starts. It's not TOO noisy. I haven't hit my knee getting in and out like I used to with my Echo. Responsive power steering. Hasn't flipped yet.

Better quality paint. Full disclosure IN WRITING of advertised freebies. IE Limitations, and need for tire rotation and balance WITH every oil change for tire program. Better service AFTER the sale, instead of sorry about your luck sucker!

Fun car
By stapler31

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is fun to drive if you have open roads. It seems to be wasted on island driving. I've had a problem with the paint chipping easily. One of the power window motors failed but was replaced under warranty. Overall though, this is a great car to own.

The space is great. The 2zz engine is awesome when there is a chance to use the cam switchover.

XRS review
By NJCosmic

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A great car for it's price range. I have an RX300 and this car can haul just as much stuff but get twice the gas mileage. The car handles very well and the braking is excellent. Hit 6200 RPM and you get a boost of power that i call "LIFT" which is very addicting. I am an active person and i find this car very versitile. The split 60/40 rear seat feature is nice. I can carry my mountain bike or snowboards in the car with no problem. Add a cold-air intake, lowering springs, front strut brace and rear sway bar and you'll have alot more fun than it's stock form. I love this car.

Handling, sunroof, CD changer, reliability fuel economy, LIFT. Toyota service is excellent.

Indepenent rear suspension, foldable side mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror, auto-down all windows. More low end power, torque.

2003 Toyota Matrix Review
By Elaine Hayden

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car has been one of the best vehicles that I have ever owned. I have not had one ounce of trouble with the vehicle. It drives well, rides well for a small car and I have traveled from Georgia to Kentucky, from to Kentucky to Texas and back and forth several times. Have spent a lot of hours in this car and the only complaint that I really have is having to use premium fuel. It runs well and drives well.

I guess the navigator would be one of my favorite features even though it wasn't on my list of features that I wanted. It has been very useful in my travels. The sunroof would be another favorite feature and the headlights always on when the car is running another.