2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Matrix XRS: Sportscar for the Pragmatist
By bkcohen on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The 6-speed Manual XRS is a kick to drive. Good blend of a sports car with a practical small wagon. Nice interior design: red backlit guages, intuitive placement of all controls and dials, cupholders within reach but never in the way. Seats--especially front ones-- are very comfortable. (My wife has arthritis and has never found the seats in my cars comfortable. She says these are.) The car also has lots of big places to store stuff up front: change compartment to left of steering wheel, "secret" compartment centered under the shifter and the cavernous storage under the armrest.

Hotrod People Mover!!!
By cwert99 on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am probobly one of the few who has put over 30,000 on my XRS. This car has aged like fine wine. After turning 25,000 miles on it, the engine runs smoother, notably quicker acceleration and the shifter is a little less figity. I love the little VVTL-i engine and the versitility. Perfect for me and my yellow lab and a few friends on a weekend camping trip. No issues with the car to date (not bad with a production number of 4,122). Be sure to have a TRD cold -air intake installed.

Buy The XRs
By nikadmus on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I recomend this car to all that are looking for serious performance, with the added comfort of storage space. 6 speed manual tranny, The engine is a 1.8L with VVTL-I. Stands for variable valve timing and Lift with intelligence. Basically this beast does not redline until 8200 rpm's. When you hit 6000 rpm's in any gear the engines internals shift producing a 50 horespower difference from the base, and xr models. You get sucked back into your seat and everybody within earshot will allmost break their necks trying to figure out how that "station Wagon" just made that sound. Allot of bang for your buck with this vehicle. XRS is the way to go.

Awesome Ride
By Toni3 on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great Car. Love the speed, maybe a little sluggish off the line but very fast in the long run. Love the interior, very stylish and nice cluster board. Exterior is awesome. Don't need to do much on the car.

Love Hate Relationship
By Hitman & Speedy on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My wife and I love this car as much as we hate it. We love the look of the gauges at night...HATE gauges during the day because they are near impossible to see and forget trying to read the odometer (even with the windows being tinted). We love its sporty looks...HATE the low chin spoiler that scraps on the lowest of curbs, ramps, drifted snow, you name it. We love the transmission...HATE the clutch, which has the operation of a common light switch (i.e., it's either on or it off...no give). We love the storage...HATE the cup holders.

Outstanding car, some annoying features
By Eric_ on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Overall the XRS is outstanding for its price range. Handling is superb. Power isn't there till about 6000rpm+, but so what. It makes for excellent fuel economy most of the time, and more than enough power when you need it. Tonnes of room inside. The XRS has superb braking, comparable and often better than much more expensive sports coupes.

excellent
By alexmojo on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

i've driven other cars like bmw and mercedes, but maybe i'm too young, matrix is the most fun car!

Unrefined Fast and Cheap
By Markm4 on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I'll start with the postitive comments: The thing is fast when you get it in the high rpm range. The suspension is pretty tight for such a high vehicle, and the 17" wheels with firehawks have a-lot of grip. otherwise, at low rpm's the thing is a dog. The 1st gear is so tall, it is hard to get it moving without either burning up the clutch or stalling. The interrior is cheap hard plastic. If you must have one, get a good price. On ebay they are going for $15k or less. They are not worth the $20k dealers are charging.

Everything that it should be and more.
By stillageek on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my Matrix because I wanted something fun for weekends and stress reduction. My main mode of transportation is a company issued Pontiac Aztek that I drive to and from work. The Matrix, even the XRS, is an extreme value. It may look small on the outside, but can hold a lot of cargo. The 6 speed manual is great, but first time manual drivers beware there is a high learning curve. Due to the design of the engine (low torque) more revs are needed to take off from a stop. My girlfriends 5 speed 01 corolla is a cake walk compared to my Matrix. I enjoy the expertise the car demands. When driven correctly the rewards are plenty.

Sweet Car
By cbcman17 on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car for about 4 months. Because I'll be going off to college soon, I needed a car that was reliable and fun to drive. The Toyota Matrix lives up to and exceeds my requirements of a great vehicle.