2003 Toyota Matrix Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2003 Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car except for the transmission :(
By tuxristo

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have found it to have just enough power, just enough size. I can fit anything in it. It's very comfortable on long trips. The manual transmission makes it nice to drive, since the engine is a bit small, but the great gas mileage more than makes up for it. But I don't trust it. Since the transmission failed at 108,000km with no explanation from Toyota, I am always worried that it will fail again, or that some other bearings will fail and leave me stranded, so for the last six months it's been stressful to take this car on a longer trip. There's nothing worse than not "trusting" your car! All in all, I love my Matrix, but I don't trust it.

Favorite Features

Nice interior design. Rear hatch window opens separately. Nice and bright headlights. Decent GM stereo. Awesome on gas. All seats fold down with hard plastic on back.

Suggested Improvements

Too much plastic inside. Interior trim paint chips easily. Could use a little more horsepower. The look of the car from the rear, especially without the skirt is a little boring. It seems like the transmission was changed for the 2004, otherwise I'd suggest that as an improvement ;)

Toyota Matrix review
By bobbyb

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very good gas mileage. Very cheap to maintain. Can fit a surprising amount of things into the spacious "trunk". It is essentially a Corolla with a hatchback.

Favorite Features

Trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires.

Fantastic Car
By CharlieB

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Ok, where do I start? This is one of the best cars I have ever owned and I have owned many in my time, all new. True, this vehicle is not a performance car. The addition of a cold air short ram intake system help immensely. As for ride, the stock tires have to be replaced. Mine were replaced with Goodyears comfort assurance, again, big difference. Iíve used it for every project around the house, versatility is excellent for a small package. The vehicle has never let me down in bad weather never stuck in snow or on ice. I have driven around vehicles stuck on snowy hills! As for mileage, a consistent 40 MPG was recorded from Jersey to Florida down Rt.95. Average is around 26 city.

Favorite Features

AWD system, versatility.

Suggested Improvements

Larger engine the 2.4 liter used in the 06 and 07 Rav 4 would do nicely.

Toyota needs to figure it out interiors.
By perpacity

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Our family pretty much only purchases toyotas for their reliability and mpg, however, I will no longer be following this trend. Toyota really needs to figure out interior driver's legroom issues in ALL of their models. There's no reason why the front seat should not be able to move back another 4-6 inches. This vehicle will be cramped if you are over 5'7".

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Front leg room!!! Stronger brakes.

Jill's 5-speed Matrix XRS
By jill112

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

As a first-time Toyota owner, I was looking for a surrogate Honda Civic wagon. I'm extemely disappointed in the quality--the transmission has already failed, requiring a $1300 repair. I had required maintenance performed ever since purchasing the car new, primarily by the dealership. While the car has a lot of potential, I will never buy another Toyota; anyone looking for a Matrix may want to avoid a 2003 manual transmission model.

Favorite Features

I like the interior versatility (cup holders, storage compartments, and multiple configurations) good gas mileage, placement of the shifter and driver's seat adjustments.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility out the back is poor, and almost completely obliterated with the rear seat headrests in place. The sun visors are too short. I associate the red-illuminated instrument panel with warning lights. There's too much wind noise, especially around the front doors.

123K and counting
By MatrixWI

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this car for my wife that was averaging 40K per year in mileage and she needed something that would drive good in the snow. The AWD is great, but we are on our second set of tires. Currently the car is in need of brakes, but not too bad for a car with 123K on it. We have only done 60 or 90K major service, but nothing else. We have used the car for major yard projects and it fit everything. We have also used that car to move two times 600+ and had no issues with the car. We've done numerous road trips with the car and every time it works great. The only one complaint that we have is the car seems to burn more oil than usual and the horse power a LOT less than needed.

Favorite Features

Looks and AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Power for AWD.

My Matrix Jewel
By lover of the Lord

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Matrix I purchased has been a complete joy for me to own. I have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. The only thing i had happen with the car is to bottom out in a pot hole and mess up my front bumper. Other than that I'd buy another one, no questions asked, unless they were to make changes to it that I didn't like.

Suggested Improvements

raise it up from the ground more on this model

'03 Matrix xr
By Brian

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is well built and drives very nice. The lack of horsepower causes the car to have less pep with the 5 speed than I would prefer, but it is adequate for highway driving on average.I may not be able to run with some of the sportier cars , but it get's very good mileage on a tank of fuel and now it is more important than it used to be.

Favorite Features

It is versatile and has enough room for carrying luggage etc for a family of four when we take vacation.

Suggested Improvements

I would hope that the newer model's would be equipped with a larger engine to help make the car a bit snappier .

Love my Matrix
By jacben

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Having driven and owned many different vehicles, I have never encountered one that I enjoy as much as I enjoy my Matrix. It responds quickly, drives smoothly, gets great gas mileage, holds 4 people comfortably enough for a 3000 mile road trip and looks sporty and fun. Complaints: The air conditioner quit because of an internal air filter that neither I nor my mechanic knew existed. (Once it was discovered and changed the A\C began to work again.) My standard transmission stalls too easily when starting off in first gear. The body has been marred in several places by minor bumps.

Favorite Features

Appearance and drivability.

Suggested Improvements

Sturdier material at the bottom of the car, below the doors and below the grille.

Best car I have driven
By Beulah

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. My husband and I went out West last year. We drove our Matrix there and back. We drove over 4,000 miles. We got 32 miles to a gallon of gas. It was very comfortable and we enjoyed our trip in this car.

Favorite Features

Everything