Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Stylin' Ride, but a few minor bugs
By Malx

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the automatic (wife insisted) so was expecting it to be sluggish, but it zipped along nicely. Well designed, but initial quality not great. The trash compartment under the gear shift would pop open with the slightest bump. Also the cover for the manual release button for the transmission was missing when I bought the car. I asked 3 sales people about the cover, they all said there was no cover. Also I just noticed the display panel is abraded in a circular pattern, like it was scrubbed. So nice little car, lots of features, but I was expecting better initial quality from Toyota.

Red display panel Tie downs and cargo nets Lots of space inside, all seats folds flat, lots of storage compartments

Better seat adjustment for the standard model (Not great for short people). Side door protector strips .

A Good Overall Car
By Mr. B

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Toyota Matrix is a very well thought out vehicle. The electronics and comfort controls inside the vehicle are easy to use and at easy reachand see. The exteior styling is unique and resembles nothing else forged by Toyota. This car is fun to drive and has given me no real problems. The only downside to the vehicle is that it does not perform extremely well in accidents. I was involved in an accident at less than 25 miles an hour and the car did not respond as it should have. All things considered, this is a great car for any driver who likes to have fun with a little dash of function. Also I would recomend getting the XRS model if at all possible.

My favorite feature would have to be the flat folding seats. Carrying cargo for short, or long, trips is incredibly easy.

The only improvement that I can comment on is the rigidity of the frame. It needs to be a little stronger.

48 hours later
By tominutah

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I went to the Toy/Honda dealer looking for a more relaible car than the 300TE Mercedes wagon we now drive. Already have a SUV (Suburban) and sports car (1955 190SL) and a highway cruiser (Volvo 850 wagon). As soon as I pulled into the dealer's parking lot and saw the Matrix, I knew that was it.

Styling is different but not UGLY like the Aztek, the BMW/Porsche/Volvo/Cadillac/Lincoln/etc. etc. SUVs look prety cheap. At least the Matrix is cheap. Decent radio, lots of room, good economy.

Wind noise around windshield. No map light, cheap sun visors, not make up light, not glove box light, no under dash lights, no rear courtesy lights, vital fluid containers under hood look pretty cheap.

The car that you really want
By mdkid127

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I knew Toyota makes reliable cars but I always wanted something more youthful and attractive so I checked out the Camry SE. While in the showroom the Matrix caught my eye. I test drove the XR fully loaded and loved it. The appearance of the car made me think it would have a rough ride, but it didn't. I loved the way it looked and the interior with the red dash lights is awesome. Plus, the car is practical without giving this aspect away by the way it looks (sporty). The mpg isn't bad. It's roomy for 5 people too. I like the stock stereo system and plug-in outlet, which is cool to plug in my laptop.

Sunroof, side airbags, plug-in outlet, dash w/ red lights, and roomy + comfortable + fun to drive, hard to classify (is it a car, suv, wagon?)

There's no strips down the side of the car so that it doesn't get dings/dents from other people's car doors that might swing and hit it...but this isn't a serious problem. I really like this car!

Love Hate Relationship
By Hitman & Speedy

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My wife and I love this car as much as we hate it. We love the look of the gauges at night...HATE gauges during the day because they are near impossible to see and forget trying to read the odometer (even with the windows being tinted). We love its sporty looks...HATE the low chin spoiler that scraps on the lowest of curbs, ramps, drifted snow, you name it. We love the transmission...HATE the clutch, which has the operation of a common light switch (i.e., it's either on or it off...no give). We love the storage...HATE the cup holders.

The fuel economy! The interior storage capacity!

Get rid of the weakly lit dashboard lights and replace with normal gauges. Redesign the front end to prevent the scrapping of the chin spoiler. Put a clutch in that has more play in it...the either on or off behavior is a hassle.