2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
Spoiler is very low
By Nutan Jha on 11/25/08 15:18 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: I bought Toyota Matrix because of its hatchback feature to transport kids back and forth from their college dorm. It is roomy and has lots of space inside. Cons: The spoiler is too low and I always hit and scratch it during parking. Not only that the spoiler is just a clip on and it keeps popping out. I am very disappointed due to that. I was traveling on one of the busiest bridge in New York at night and I felt I drove on something, later when I stopped at a gas station I discovered that the right spoiler was missing and the left spoiler was hanging out. I had to stop at a gas station to tie a string to it.

Very versatile
By Thomas Howe on 07/23/08 11:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car was a great all 'round vehicle. Had great power for a four banger. The power surge felt great after 600 RPMs, enabling the driver to pass lickety-split. The boxy design took getting used to, but grew to love it. The 6 speed tranny was notchy, but I grew accustomed to it. Very good gas mileage considering the power, lower 30s on road. Great reliability. Had a ton of room when back seat was down, and the back was easy to clean, 'cause it was plastic instead of carpeted. Seats very comfy, even on long trips. Only reason I got rid of it was because of high payments and I needed an AWD vehicle. Still miss it.

Matrix Rocks
By teebone on 06/30/08 20:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I get lots of looks in this sporty car, and on my first long-distance trip (2400 miles) I got 40 MPG! It corners/handles well, has great brakes, and I was getting scratch in third gear at two years old. Amazing power for fast starts and getaways. I had seven Hondas before getting this Toyota, but I don't think I could go back to Honda. I had to replace the air filter located under the glove compartment, and debated about going to the dealer. However, it was only a few dollars and I was shocked!

Fun Car
By commuter515 on 06/21/08 07:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Very fun car to drive, tons of room, lots of great features not found on comparable cars: the hatch glass opens independently of hatch, wall type outlet, auto sensing lights, passenger seat folds flat, etc. Great mpg, I commute 120 miles a day, all highway, I average 33 mpg at 70 mph. Acceleration stinks but this is not a sports car, it's a wagon. Like a car, it is not perfect - I currently have 130,000 miles, cat converter went bad at 120K, locks are starting to fail - they do not respond to keychain. AC condensation hose came loose under dash and passenger side carpet got soaked (everyone thought it was the sunroof but it wasn't). But still an awesome car.

Great multi-functional car
By Scotch on 06/08/08 12:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! 4 cyl engine with plenty of passing power. Back seats and passenger seat fold down enough to haul nearly anything I've needed including a full sheet of plywood and other lumber. The only down side to the sport model is that it requires 93 octane gas, though, I get approx 28 mpg.

Just the best!
By Jeff on 05/28/08 00:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the the best vehicle I have ever owned. It was my first Toyota and that is all I will ever buy from now on. 180,000 miles on it and not a single problem. Nothing but brakes and spark plugs. The all wheel drive is amazing I live in Canada and it goes through the snow better than my 4x4 truck. Fuel is about 36 mpg highway. Great car!

Best of both worlds
By Thomas Howe on 12/12/07 21:14 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Not too many cars that go from 0- 60 in 7 seconds, yet get 32 mpg on the road. Also, the fact that there's lots of room in back with the seats folded down is a major plus. Are you reading this, bicyclist and skiers? It handles great and is a pleasure to drive long distances. I regularly took 1000 mile round trip drives and it never missed a beat. The extra kick pas 6000 RPMs is addicting. It looks cooler the longer you have it, with all of the ground effects, but that did have its down side. The front spoilers were too low and I was always scraping them on curbs, sometimes damaging them. I would have kept it, but decided to get a 4X4 SUV for the Wisconsin winters. I miss the gas mileage.

Unreliable, poor quality
By jamesimcb on 12/06/07 00:54 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I raved about this car when i first got it. But after a transmission failure at 130,000 km's I am very disappointed. Fuel economy has gone down ever since. many rattles in the car. failed caliper. toyota cost over 800 dollars. The premium you pay for a toyota is no longer worth it. Buy north american and save some money as Toyota's quality has gone down hill!

No need to even look at the '09
By Cignal on 12/03/07 16:01 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the original '03 XR, loaded, nav, sunroof, 18 inch wheels. Looks great. But the best thing is the mileage. Consistently well over 30 mpg. On a trip to San Diego from Huntington Beach, all freeway, all cruise control, very flat-land trip, right lane, 52 mph, this beauty gave me 41.3 mpg. Not typical, but true. Came w/ factory navigation + 6 CD changer; still cost just over 19K. Great for making service calls and hauling Home Depot stuff. A little weak on HP; I'd rather have the MPG anyway. Had to replace a faulty nav, sunroof motor, both under warranty. No reason to even look at the '09s. Only neg is the inst panel: hard to read in bright sunlight; remedy is to replace all gauges.

Say goodbye to your SUV
By Clarke on 10/26/07 09:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When I first started looking for a replacement for my SUV, I only looked at sport luxury cars. I was already spoiled with powerful acceleration, leather seats and smooth handling, I just wanted something easier on the gas mileage. One drive in a fiery Matrix XRS changed my perception. It has just as much space as my SUV, as well as the handling, gas mileage and features of a luxury car. Additionally, the XRS model puts out 180hp in a 6 speed manual which provides more than enough power for me. This car looks great inside and out, the gauges are set back into the dash for a very sporty feel. I absolutely love this car.