Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Safe in a crash
By April

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven my Matrix for a few years now. I love the interior. It's very comfortable and the dash looks attractive. Recently I went on vacation with a friend of mine and she drove us in my car. There were some deer in the road which caused us to swerve and crash head on into a tree. This car saved our lives. It was totaled but we are alive and came out relatively well. A few broken bones and bruises later...But honestly for a smaller car it took the hit well. I would recommend it highly. I wish I still had it.

Dash, very comfortable seats, roomy interior.

Make it look a little less like a station wagon.

Love it
By Katy

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We've owned the matrix for 5 years now and it has over 100,000 miles. Only routine maintenance. Bought for the interior flexibility since we have 2 dogs. We bought ours used but would have preferred the V6 for a little more pep. We have had a very good experience and plan to drive this car for another 100,000 miles.

Interior cargo space for a small car. Gas mileage (avg 28-30 mixed). Cheap car to maintain.

Low profile tires make it difficult to drive in snow/ice. Interior noise is louder than many vehicles.

Loved it Until... The ENGINE FAILED!
By H M

2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Matrix new and it was the first one I had seen. I have absolutely LOVED this car...UNTIL THE ENGINE FAILED!! I never had one single mechanical problem, did ALL scheduled maintenance, and it ran perfect up to 94K miles. Then within the space of two days, NO WARNING AT ALL - engine problem. Toyota informs me it has sludge in the engine, and from that day on the engine is awful. Car stalls, slugs along, you name it. Completely unreliable now. TOYOTA claims it is MY FAULT, and completely FAILS to acknowledge a longstanding design problem with the engine. Then tells me I have to pay 8-11K to get A NEW ENGINE. Research Toyota Sludge people!!! Never again Toyota...Sorry.

Gas mileage, tons of space in the back with the seats down. Zippy and fun.

ENGINES that are RELIABLE!! Toyota has a serious problem here, please people be informed before you buy!

Transmission problem
By dvance

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 5-speed only has just over 77,000 miles on it and the bearings in the transmission are going. I bought a Toyota specifically to have a long- lasting, good car. I called Toyota customer service and got the same story about not taking it to a dealership for routine maintenance so they couldn't help me if the car hadn't been properly maintained.

body style and roominess

Fix the transmissions.

So far so good
By highlama

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Matrix about two months ago with 175,000 miles on it for my daily 400 mile courier route and it's been great - so far. Since a 200 mile leg allows me to drive at only 55 mph, I net almost 33 mpg across the entire route - which is better than I expected. The car rides great, runs smooth, and shifts easily so it's been a pleasure to drive.

I like all the little storage compartments, the great gas mileage, and the smooth ride.

I hear an occasional vibration noise or whistling wind. I was surprised that there was no cruise control or electric side mirrors (both standard equipment on my '98 Mazda Protege).