Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

GOOD MILEAGE DEAL!!!
By Howd

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I heard CD players scratches CDs but, My CDs are not scratched from it yet. I heard there is noise from the dash board, I have not heard it yet. I think its a good deal for a first car for young people.

Favorite Features

I love the mileage, red lights on the dashboard, folded chairs to make more room, and overall the ride.

Suggested Improvements

I would move the rearview mirror lights because, I accidentally turn it on all night one time by putting on/off the sun shade. I would have another way to see the odometer reading without turning the key switch on to hear the stereo.

Great small car
By Bob K

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Matrix has a good combination of features going for it. It gets very good gas mileage for a automatic transmission. It is distinctive and pleasing in appearance. It handles well.That is why I have rated it well.

Favorite Features

Style and economy. And carrying abillity

Suggested Improvements

A more comfortable fabric for the seats such as a velour.

Worth The Money
By ttocsffej

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Although this is NOT a sports car, it is fairly peppy when prodded. The 4 spd autobox is smooth and gearing seems to work well with the 130hp engine. Frequently find myself going 10-15 mph over the speed limit, the sensation of speed is more like and SUV! Very versatile interior design, with plenty of room for 4 big adults. The ride is exceptional for a car this of size, and it is very quiet at cruising speed. The gas mileage so far is exceptional. Build quality, despite a few comments I've read here is quite good. Maybe a year of production has helped iron out the glitches.

Favorite Features

Optitron Gauges. Materials quality for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade dash plastics to "soft-touch" like other Toyota/Lexus products and offer better sound systems. The Delphi (GM sourced) stereos suck! Offer leather interiors.

My Trix What a car!
By sibordelik

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The car looks and drives great! Gas is no subject to my matrix~! The car is all around perfect!~ 2 probs.. a little difficult to get used to looking out the back of the car.. and once in a while in the winter you may get a egg smell from the tailpipe from the over oxygenized gas in the colder weather.. that is due to all the envirmental protection devices in the car.. its a zippy great looking car. I have gotten tooooooo many compliements on it!

Favorite Features

Outside temp on dash... 2 mileage settings... 6 speakers...fold down seats.. I really like everything about this car!

Suggested Improvements

6 cylinder would be cool.. and anti lock brakes standard!!

Stylin' Ride, but a few minor bugs
By Malx

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the automatic (wife insisted) so was expecting it to be sluggish, but it zipped along nicely. Well designed, but initial quality not great. The trash compartment under the gear shift would pop open with the slightest bump. Also the cover for the manual release button for the transmission was missing when I bought the car. I asked 3 sales people about the cover, they all said there was no cover. Also I just noticed the display panel is abraded in a circular pattern, like it was scrubbed. So nice little car, lots of features, but I was expecting better initial quality from Toyota.

Favorite Features

Red display panel Tie downs and cargo nets Lots of space inside, all seats folds flat, lots of storage compartments

Suggested Improvements

Better seat adjustment for the standard model (Not great for short people). Side door protector strips .